X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Warwick
    • Oct 2011

Beethoven - Hammerklavier Sonata , Op. 106

Does anyone know the date when the Beethoven's Hammerklavier Sonata was first performed in public?

Thank you.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

This suggests that the first public performance was by Liszt in 1836, on what evidence I know not.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      This suggests that the first public performance was by Liszt in 1836, on what evidence I know not.
      Some further evidence for that idea in this discussion (I can't do the magic red-letter thingy):

... Berlioz' account of Liszt's performance seems to be the source. Can't immediately find further evidence in Maynard Solomon, and my Cambridge Companion to Beethoven seems to be spending Christmas away from its shelf

I bet Roehre will have access to chapter and verse.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Some further evidence for that idea in this discussion (I can't do the magic red-letter thingy):

... Berlioz' account of Liszt's performance seems to be the source. Can't immediately find further evidence in Maynard Solomon, and my Cambridge Companion to Beethoven seems to be spending Christmas away from its shelf

me neither.

Probably a masonic secret.

ooh look, I just taught myself how to do it.

Hurrah .

so, Ferney, what you do is highlight the word you are typing that you want to do the magic red thing, click the little globe linky icon at the top of your current post, and it brings up a box, into which you paste the web address from the item you want to link to.

I think !!

good luck.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Roehre

We don't know.
          A performance was planned for Christmas day or 2nd Christmas Day (= Boxing Day), according to an entry in the Conversation booklet which is reliably dated December 10th 1819, but that concert eventually wasn't held.
          It is certain that Czerny played the sonata at the beginning of February 1824 (See Konversationshefte 5 p.133), at a semi-public concert.
          As Czerny took the Hammerklavier on his repertoire it is likely that the first public performances took place around that time. Further evidence in terms of critics mentioning the work lacks: thus, we don't know.
          See also Kinsky-Halm Beethoven Werk-Verzeichnis, 2nd edition 2014, vol.1 p.664.
          [It's NOT in the KH 1955 1st edition, btw]

Note that Czerny was one of Liszt's tutors.
          Not unimportant is another possibillity: Liszt hints at a performance as he was ten years old or so (thus 1821/'22) in a letter, see Briefe an die Fürstin Carolyne zu Sayn-Wittgenstein, vol.4, p.164 [as quoted in: Riethmüller et al, Beethoven. Interpretation seiner Werke. Vol.2 p.136]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Told yer!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint
              so, Ferney, what you do is highlight the word you are typing that you want to do the magic red thing, click the little globe linky icon at the top of your current post, and it brings up a box, into which you paste the web address from the item you want to link to.

I think !!

good luck.
              Like this you mean?

Wel ... I'll be darned! Cheers, ts

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

Like this you mean?

Wel ... I'll be darned! Cheers, ts
                what an education this forum is.

right , now for the elusive multiquote thing that has long defeated me.

And thanks to Roehre for fantastic Knowledge, as ever.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  what an education this forum is.

right , now for the elusive multiquote thing that has long defeated me.

And thanks to Roehre for fantastic Knowledge, as ever.
                  Yeah, I wanna learn how to do the long multiquote, quoting from different posts.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                    • Nov 2010

I love this Sonata,but I've never really got to grips with the slow movement.
                    I always feel as if it's trying to tell me something very important,but it never quite does so.
                    What's going on there ?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                      I love this Sonata,but I've never really got to grips with the slow movement.
                      I always feel as if it's trying to tell me something very important,but it never quite does so.
                      What's going on there ?
                      Try Emil Gilels

Comment

• Warwick
                        • Oct 2011

Thank you all for your input. This forum is the best clearing house for exchanging views and information and where one could be pretty much be guaranteed a highly informed response to a wide variety of challenging questions.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                          Try Emil Gilels
                          Or Annie Fischer

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                            Yeah, I wanna learn how to do the long multiquote, quoting from different posts.
                            At the bottom right of each posting there is a little speech bubble containing a quotation mark, and a plus sign. Click on this for each posting that you want to highlight, then "reply with quote"

Originally posted by Warwick View Post
                            Thank you all for your input. This forum is the best clearing house for exchanging views and information and where one could be pretty much be guaranteed a highly informed response to a wide variety of challenging questions.
                            Indeed.
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              now for the elusive multiquote thing that has long defeated me.
                              Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Originally posted by Flay View Post
                              At the bottom right of each posting there is a little speech bubble containing a quotation mark, and a plus sign. Click on this for each posting that you want to highlight, then "reply with quote"
                              Whoop-di-doo! Christmas has come early!

Comment

Working...
                              X