X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

I enjoyed what I heard of Gareth Barry's Piano quartet on the Tansy Davies show today.
    Gerald Barry, If I'm not mistaken; and yes, a fantastic and vital piece, very much after the manner of Stravinsky's Three Pieces for String Quartet of 1914 and the Concertino of 1920 - both of which also influenced Bartok's middle-period string quartets. GB is a composer all too easily overlooked.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Gerald Barry, If I'm not mistaken; and yes, a fantastic and vital piece, very much after the manner of Stravinsky's Three Pieces for String Quartet of 1914 and the Concertino of 1920 - both of which also influenced Bartok's middle-period string quartets. GB is a composer all too easily overlooked.
      certainly worth checking out, S-A .

The "Gareth" Barry jokette was a continuation of the footy reference, all too easily missed by those of a more artistic disposition.

( The quartet sounded a little Ginastera -ish , from my brief car based listen)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        certainly worth checking out, S-A .

The "Gareth" Barry jokette was a continuation of the footy reference, all too easily missed by those of a more artistic disposition.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

I got it - makes me lo-brow!!

It obviously went right below S_A's head!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

I got it - makes me lo-brow!!

It obviously went right below S_A's head!!
            If only it were true!

Right now: off for that Beeb2 programme about Shostakovitch 7 - with the sound up.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I was going to watch it but a friend of ours who comes round, unannounced, usually, turned up!!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I was going to watch it but a friend of ours who comes round, unannounced, usually, turned up!!
                Well worth watching, BBM. See the revelant fred.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

For some reason I thought that last night's broadcast of La Monte Young's The Well-Tuned Piano had been discussed here. I searched and searched, but no hits of any real substance. Then it came to me. I must have been over at r3ok that it was mentioned. Such was indeed the case.

Anyone here listen or plan to listen via the iPlayer? Right now, Max Reinhardt's introduction is incomplete in the main file. However, the whole of it may be found at the end of the Geoffrey Smith's Jazz file. I expect the editing error will be corrected later today. I had not previously grasped that the instrument used was a well-tuned Bösendorfer Imperial. No wonder it sounds so good!

I did not listen through the night, but awoke to hear Venus in Furs in the closing section of the programme.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    For some reason I thought that last night's broadcast of La Monte Young's The Well-Tuned Piano had been discussed here. I searched and searched, but no hits of any real substance. Then it came to me. I must have been over at r3ok that it was mentioned. Such was indeed the case.

Anyone here listen or plan to listen via the iPlayer? Right now, Max Reinhardt's introduction is incomplete in the main file. However, the whole of it may be found at the end of the Geoffrey Smith's Jazz file. I expect the editing error will be corrected later today. I had not previously grasped that the instrument used was a well-tuned Bösendorfer Imperial. No wonder it sounds so good!

I did not listen through the night, but awoke to hear Venus in Furs in the closing section of the programme.
                    I haven't listened yet
                    Is it the same version that is available on CD?

And if so is the quality better than some of the Youtube clip versions?

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      I haven't listened yet
                      Is it the same version that is available on CD?

And if so is the quality better than some of the Youtube clip versions?
                      It is indeed the 25th October 1981 performance and, with 320kbps AAC-LC encoding, the sound is rather better than that available from YouTube. As you already know, the so-called complete film of the 1987 performance on YouTube is a bit of mess, in terms of its editing and serious lack of synchronisation. The supposed over 6 hour performance actually has less than 4 hours of active audio.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Like Bryn I only heard the last stages of the programme. This is a very personal point of view, but my impression of it was that it was very bitty, and all over the map. The intention may have been thus, conveying LMY's mind impressionistically as if portraying a gadfly with attention deficit, which is not at all the impression John Cage gave in his writings on his friend in Silence. Jumping from tiny snatch to tiny snatch, Webern to the Velvets in one leap or was it two? was, for me, disorientating, without any compensating coherence. Frankly I was totally out of my depth. Perhaps if they had just played recordings of his own music, using the Well-Tuned Piano as the main reference point, or had say a week long series on the Fluxus group, with each episode of an hour's length, one could have built up a coherent narrative for that for which there seemed to be none?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I did not catch it. I could not find my magenta bathrobe or my shiny boots of leather in time. iPlayer for me.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Like Bryn I only heard the last stages of the programme. This is a very personal point of view, but my impression of it was that it was very bitty, and all over the map. The intention may have been thus, conveying LMY's mind impressionistically as if portraying a gadfly with attention deficit, which is not at all the impression John Cage gave in his writings on his friend in Silence. Jumping from tiny snatch to tiny snatch, Webern to the Velvets in one leap or was it two? was, for me, disorientating, without any compensating coherence. Frankly I was totally out of my depth. Perhaps if they had just played recordings of his own music, using the Well-Tuned Piano as the main reference point, or had say a week long series on the Fluxus group, with each episode of an hour's length, one could have built up a coherent narrative for that for which there seemed to be none?
                            That final section of the programme was really just a sort of fill-up for the TtN schedule timing. Bitty indeed it was, but The Well-Tuned Piano was a complete run of the October 25th 1981 recorded performance, presumably from the CDs.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              I did not catch it. I could not find my magenta bathrobe or my shiny boots of leather in time. iPlayer for me.
                              They were in the programme, Beef Oven. Phone the BBC; ask them to send a taxi round.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                That final section of the programme was really just a sort of fill-up for the TtN schedule timing. Bitty indeed it was, but The Well-Tuned Piano was a complete run of the October 25th 1981 recorded performance, presumably from the CDs.
                                Aha! Thanks for putting me right, Bryn.

Comment

Working...
                                X