• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

New Year New Music

"BBC Radio 3 offers an alternative New Year’s resolution for radio listeners to discover new things with New Year New Music, a week exploring the power of new music, from iconic masterpieces to avant-garde experiments, looking to the next generation of talent and exploring the best in contemporary music."

This will include the Stockhausen world premiere - Hymnen (and KS as Composer of the Week) and "Radio 3 will broadcast a special overnight edition of pioneering composer La Monte Young’s The Well-Tuned Piano, a five-hour piano work exploring overtone harmonies designed to be heard while the listener is immersed in the colour magenta."

Looks as if Essential Classics will be given some extra sinew too:

"Special editions of Essential Classics with an in-depth focus on some of today’s prominent composers will also broadcast during the week, focusing on Jonathan Dove, Errolyn Wallen, Max Richter, Roxanna Panufnik and Mark-Anthony Turnage. Irish composer Gerald Barry will reveal his Private Passions to Michael Berkeley for the first time, and the composer Tansy Davies will introduce her favourite new music in Saturday Classics."

All details here.

Pretty uncompromising!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

This will include the Stockhausen world premiere - Hymnen (and KS as Composer of the Week) and "Radio 3 will broadcast a special overnight edition of pioneering composer La Monte Young’s The Well-Tuned Piano, a five-hour piano work exploring overtone harmonies designed to be heard while the listener is immersed in the colour magenta."
    Result

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      Result
      But just wait for the howls of protest, the papers screaming 'perverse elitism' and 'abolish Radio 3'. But it's a response to the claims of dumbing down, so Way to Go!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... this is excellent news. It's not my kind of music at all - but it's exackerly what a serious Radio 3 shd be doing

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

a five-hour piano work exploring overtone harmonies designed to be heard while the listener is immersed in the colour magenta...
          Magenta, interesting as being one of the very first synthetic (coal-tar derived) dyes. Named after the 1859 Battle of Magenta.

[ ... remembered this, 'cos my college colours were magenta and black. ]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Result
            - I'll say!

(Of course, this could just be that dream again, and when I wake up, it'll be Andre Rieu Month!)
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Huh! New music? Hymnen and The Well Tuned Piano? Well worn classics, more like. Good to have them broadcast, nonetheless. [Takes off Hancock's Bah Homburg.]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Huh! New music? Hymnen and The Well Tuned Piano? Well worn classics, more like. Good to have them broadcast, nonetheless. [Takes off Hancock's Bah Homburg.]
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... this is excellent news. It's not my kind of music at all - but it's exackerly what a serious Radio 3 shd be doing

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

My feeling too - and logical progress might make it harder to continue with some of the other, er, programming which scars the landscape

Bryn - You might be able to explain why this particular version of Hymnen is billed as a 'world premiere'? This is what the Guardian reported:

"The new year brings a week celebrating contemporary classical music that will be launched on 1 January with the world premiere of the four-channel transmission of Stockhausen’s electroacoustic classic Hymnen. Radio 3 has acquired copies of the original four-channel tapes of Regions (ie Movements) 1, 2 and 4 from the Stockhausen Foundation for Music, and alongside these will be broadcast a recording of a live performance by the London Sinfonietta of Region 3, making the BBC the first to broadcast the complete work as it was conceived by Stockhausen in 1967."

Is it just the first broadcast?

Comment

• Roehre

All details here.

Pretty uncompromising!
                      Nevertheless quite a bit lobsided too.
                      Apart from oldies Stockhausen and La Monte Young, where are the contemporary composers from outside these Isles?
                      superficially browsing I only see Lachenmann, Saariaho, Escaich and some Americans....

Whatever:
                      Last edited by Guest; 22-12-15, 15:58.

Comment

• Roehre

... making the BBC the first to broadcast the complete work as it was conceived by Stockhausen in 1967."

Is it just the first broadcast?
                        No. Was broadcast live in its entirety (IIRC in 1971) as part of the Holland Festival (again IIRC, but could have been Gaudeamus. ) and: at the same festival Gruppen was also programmed and broadcast live, then on both Hilversum 1 and 2 simultaneously (creating quadrophony ) .

PS: The work has not been played at Gaudeamus.
                        Last edited by Guest; 22-12-15, 19:27. Reason: checked playlists Gaudeamus 1945/'95

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          No. Was broadcast live in its entirety (IIRC in 1971) as part of the Holland Festival (again IIRC, but could have been Gaudeamus. Perhaps Richard Barrett recalls) and: at the same festival Gruppen was also programmed and broadcast live, then on both Hilversum 1 and 2 simultaneously (creating quadrophony ) .
                          It looks as if there were later revisions in 1975 (Wiki).

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

The Early Music Show’s contribution

Sunday 3 January
                            Stevie Wishart presents a special New Year New Music programme. She takes a look at how early music still resonates through the contemporary music of our time. She will feature her own compositions as well as recordings of music performed by a young performers such as Voice Trio. Voice performs secular and non-secular music from the medieval music of Hildegard of Bingen, to 21st-century commissions.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Exactly. Well said.

Comment

Working...
                              X