X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Music Matters discussion on "The Other Classical Musics"

I was interested in the discussion on Michael Church's new book The Other Classical Musics on today's Music Matters. Robin Denselow had some concerns about the "classical" definition, and perhaps the extent to which it is possible to isolate these traditions from popular or folk traditions. I think Michael Church acknowledges the difficulties of this categorisation at the end of this article:

Never has the world of music been so open to exploration, nor so rich in paradox. Recording is abolishing history – the music of the past is being subsumed into a voracious and ever-expanding musical present. The shrinking of the globe to a digital village is abolishing geography: everyone can listen to everyone else’s music, wherever they happen to be. But in a piquant irony, just as the short-lived “world music” CD boom was whetting people’s appetite for new sounds, so those sounds were becoming homogenised out of existence, in response to the demands of the global pop market.

Anyway, I would very much like to read Church's book, and I only wish we would get more coverage of some of these musics on R3, in dedicated programmes.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
    I was interested in the discussion on Michael Church's new book The Other Classical Musics on today's Music Matters. Robin Denselow had some concerns about the "classical" definition, and perhaps the extent to which it is possible to isolate these traditions from popular or folk traditions. I think Michael Church acknowledges the difficulties of this categorisation at the end of this article:

Never has the world of music been so open to exploration, nor so rich in paradox. Recording is abolishing history – the music of the past is being subsumed into a voracious and ever-expanding musical present. The shrinking of the globe to a digital village is abolishing geography: everyone can listen to everyone else’s music, wherever they happen to be. But in a piquant irony, just as the short-lived “world music” CD boom was whetting people’s appetite for new sounds, so those sounds were becoming homogenised out of existence, in response to the demands of the global pop market.

Anyway, I would very much like to read Church's book, and I only wish we would get more coverage of some of these musics on R3, in dedicated programmes.
    I was interested enough to order it. It is available for £19.99 including p&p either direct from amazon.co.uk or from one of their marketplace vendors (who may well pay tax).

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Thanks for this
      Sounds interesting

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Aha! Haven't heard the MM, but had already received an email recommending. What with this and the long Goehr interview a fortnight ago things seem to be looking up here …
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Just had an email advising that my copy will be delivered to my chosen collection location tomorrow. As long as it arrives there by 13:00 I will be able to pick it up on the way to work. I doubt I will get time to read much before Tuesday morning though.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Interesting.

My view is that it is cultural evolution - a phrase that doesn't necessarily mean progress - which endangers world/folk traditions. I am not sure that fusion fits neatly into that category. The Maltese example in the article is a case in point. Has the ghana tradition really been harmed by hundreds of records which combine ghana with global beats and/or hip-hop? I think not given that I am not aware of any record that has been produced along those lines. No. Such traditions can be usurped by a dominant pop music culture that has no reference to them. It can also be lost in all the emphasis on a wide range of popular culture accessed via media that has no musical reference. And, of course, it can be wiped out by fanatical political groups who consider that all music is irreligious. But where there is fusion, it is more likely to lead as an add-on to renewed interest in purer roots music than to replace it. In fact, it can bring attention to traditional music that had been largely forgotten because of the various changes I have listed. As for the term "classical music", it is probably helpful for several reasons to have roots music considered in that way but I doubt that it will ever be accepted in broad culture where western classicism is distinct.
            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-12-15, 11:12.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
              • Jan 2011

There is also a short feature on this topic in the December issue of BBCMM.

OG

Comment

Working...
              X