• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Hans Zender - anyone know it?

Just been doing some investigation on Hans Zender's version of Winterreise because the Aurora Orchestra is coming to St George's with Allan Clayton. Last time I heard it there, it was with Paul Lewis and Mark Padmore. Quite intrigued by the YouTube upload:

Does it work? :-)
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    In its own terms, yes. It isn't (cannot be) nor is it intended to be an "improvement" on the original - more an extended reflection by a composer on a work that has fascinated - possessed him, almost - for years. (Not all composers have the luxury of Britten of being both able to play the piano part to the highest standard and having a tenor on spec to match such playing!) Whenever I've heard it, I always wish that he'd left out the vocal line and made an extended "orchestral paraphrase" on the lines of the opening - as it is, there are so many "nearly-but-not-quite-exactly" passages that I can neither put the original out of the forefront of my memory, nor concentrate on what Zender offers.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Just been doing some investigation on Hans Zender's version of Winterreise because the Aurora Orchestra is coming to St George's with Allan Clayton. Last time I heard it there, it was with Paul Lewis and Mark Padmore. Quite intrigued by the YouTube upload:....
      It does.
      I actually would prefer Zender's re-compositioned interpretation if I were to choose gun to my head between the schubertian original (how much I really like it) and Zender's re-composition.
      FHG's remark that he would have preferred to have less of the original vocal lines incorporated does make sense, though I personally prefer the present composition to a more (or completely) instrumental one - as I am quite often missing the vocals/words in e.g. Schubert or Brahms songs set for a stringed instrument in stead of a voice, or in Liszt's paraphrases.
      What it definitely is not: a reworking a la Caine.
      It is longer than the original, and the extensions (if you like) are proper Zender.
      It needs some repeated listening to discover the cross references between Schubert (-sec) and Schubert and Zender, but in my experience it is rewarding.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        It does.
        I actually would prefer Zender's re-compositioned interpretation if I were to choose gun to my head between the schubertian original (how much I really like it) and Zender's re-composition.
        FHG's remark that he would have preferred to have less of the original vocal lines incorporated does make sense, though I personally prefer the present composition to a more (or completely) instrumental one - as I am quite often missing the vocals/words in e.g. Schubert or Brahms songs set for a stringed instrument in stead of a voice, or in Liszt's paraphrases.
        What it definitely is not: a reworking a la Caine.
        It is longer than the original, and the extensions (if you like) are proper Zender.
        It needs some repeated listening to discover the cross references between Schubert (-sec) and Schubert and Zender, but in my experience it is rewarding.
        O.k., you, fg and YouTube have convinced me. I found a "D'occasion - Très bon" copy at amazon.fr for £15.11 including p&p to the U.K.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Evidently not a case of "return to Zender" then.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Evidently not a case of "return to Zender" then.
            A listener could get hooked; then they'd become a prisoner of

Oh! Is that the time?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              (Not all composers have the luxury of Britten of being both able to play the piano part to the highest standard and having a tenor on spec to match such playing!)
              Have to agree that the opening instrumental section also made me feel that a version without the vocal part would have been very worthwhile - and why not? That reminds me of such works as Stoppard's Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern, which just leave the original as an inspiration and take flight in their own directions.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                A listener could get hooked; then they'd become a prisoner of

Oh! Is that the time?
                It is Prez-cisely that time!

Comment

Working...
                X