X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

Can anyone identify this?

I was listening to the first episode of Victoria Station on iPlayer and was struck by the music used throughout.

Can anybody identify it? You can hear it here behind the closing announcement. Any ideas?
  • Roehre

Originally posted by DublinJimbo View Post
    I was listening to the first episode of Victoria Station on iPlayer and was struck by the music used throughout.

Can anybody identify it? You can hear it here behind the closing announcement. Any ideas?
    Just a guess: It might be one of the railway connected pieces by one of the Strauss family

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Sounds to me as if it could be practically anything from the extensive annals of "British Light Music"... Had a bit of a dig around to see if there were any contact details for writer / producer etc - but the programme's already 20 years old and I didn't come up with anything - no doubt you tried that anyway.

On a tangent, being a Nottingham lad, I was interested to know about the programme in general... thanks! Victoria Station was a kind of ghostly presence during my school years, when I walked to get the bus home from the bus station in the 'Vic Centre' which had replaced the railway station in the late '60s...

I crossed the road and entered by the foot of that brick tower just about every evening of my school life:

The tower was of course the only remnant of the old Victoria Station...

I'm going to be listening to this series, of which I'd never heard until this evening!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• DublinJimbo
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Sounds to me as if it could be practically anything from the extensive annals of "British Light Music"... Had a bit of a dig around to see if there were any contact details for writer / producer etc - but the programme's already 20 years old and I didn't come up with anything - no doubt you tried that anyway.
        British Light Music was what immediately came into my head also. I was very taken by the excellent production values of this programme, an important part of which was the choice of music.

On a tangent, being a Nottingham lad, I was interested to know about the programme in general... thanks! Victoria Station was a kind of ghostly presence during my school years, when I walked to get the bus home from the bus station in the 'Vic Centre' which had replaced the railway station in the late '60s...

I crossed the road and entered by the foot of that brick tower just about every evening of my school life
        That's a fascinating slice of history, and a nice trip down your personal memory lane.

I'm going to be listening to this series, of which I'd never heard until this evening!
        I too will listen to the series. This episode was a really promising beginning.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

As with many things I suppose there were reasons for the development, which was probably necessary to meet various needs, but the fully urbanised Victoria Centre buildings look horrible compared with the station, most of which was demolished.

I've not seen this before - and I've only been to Nottingham once or twice, and probably didn't go near the station.

The way things are going .... or in this case, have gone ....

Can't identify the music, though I know what it isn't - e.g Lumbye

Comment

• AmpH
            • Feb 2012

The opening instrumental appears to be ' The Lonely Colliery ' by Alexander Faris from an album called ' Victorian Edwardian '.

As to the music itself, it certainly sounds like it is from Sir Arthur Sullivan's ' Merchant of Venice ' music and in particular the ' Introduction and Bourree ' and parts of the ' Finale ' as well. I have only listened to the first few minutes of the programme and your separate sound clip, but thought I recognised the tune.

I have the music on this Marco Polo disc.

Sullivan: Incidental Music. Marco Polo: 8223461. Buy download online. Emmanuel Lawler (tenor) RTE Concert Orchestra, Andrew Penny

Comment

• DublinJimbo
              • Nov 2011

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
              The opening instrumental appears to be ' The Lonely Colliery ' by Alexander Faris from an album called ' Victorian Edwardian '.

As to the music itself, it certainly sounds like it is from Sir Arthur Sullivan's ' Merchant of Venice ' music and in particular the ' Introduction and Bourree ' and parts of the ' Finale ' as well. I have only listened to the first few minutes of the programme and your separate sound clip, but thought I recognised the tune.

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Marco%2BPolo/8223461
              Spot on! Thank you so much.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                • Jan 2014

The Marco Polo label is available, If you can access it (local library membership?) on Naxos Music Library, so can listen for free. As ever, is worth searching for the piece in various ways if you don't first find it.

Comment

• AmpH
                  • Feb 2012

Spot on! Thank you so much.
                  You're welcome - enjoy the music !

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                    Just a guess: It might be one of the railway connected pieces by one of the Strauss family
                    What gauge?

00 or H0?

(sorry )

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

As to the music itself, it certainly sounds like it is from Sir Arthur Sullivan's ' Merchant of Venice ' music
                      Oh Lor!! What a dummy I am! I thought (like you, DJ) it was tantalisingly familiar. We had the Sullivan on in the car last week...

There's a cracking performance as a filler to the Sargent recording of 'Ruddigore'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gilbert-Sull.../dp/B001U3DD0A

Yes the main piece on that clip you attached Jimbo is the Bourrée:

And Sandy Faris... my recently-deceased client...

I really should have got the answers
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Marco%2BPolo/8223461

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          What gauge?

00 or H0?

(sorry )
                          N

Comment

• AmpH
                            • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Oh Lor!! What a dummy I am! I thought (like you, DJ) it was tantalisingly familiar. We had the Sullivan on in the car last week...

There's a cracking performance as a filler to the Sargent recording of 'Ruddigore'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gilbert-Sull.../dp/B001U3DD0A

Yes the main piece on that clip you attached Jimbo is the Bourrée:

And Sandy Faris... my recently-deceased client...

I really should have got the answers
                            That recording has a nicely boisterous big band feel to it. Pity its only a filler and they didn't record the whole suite.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              N
                              Can't see that at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X