X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Classical for Beginners

We asked five musicians taking part in the Barbican’s Sound Unbound festival to create a playlist for a newcomer to classical music. Composer Max Richter’s picks include Purcell, Beethoven and Julia Wolfe
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

People might remember Julia Wolfe from the Bang on a Can Festival at the South Bank, a few years ago.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
      • Aug 2015

Not sure. Anything along these lines in a newspaper is better than nothing. The use of words like badass, thrash and zoom may have more reach than I can comprehend. It would not be my approach. I think dry where it seems impenetrable is only accessed via alternative prisms of dry. Consequently, if Bach doesn't grab the attention musically, talk about mathematical principles and it may just capture the imagination in a way that the use of the word dude is unable to do. Certainly Haydn is best approached non-musically from the perspective of social history in this country where it relates to music and theatre. That sort of thing is Goodall's strength in my opinion. He is less solid where he attempts to link classical and popular music with talk of detailed musical principles because they can be overstated. The latter is best done via social history/a variety of associations/simply sound.
      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 30-10-15, 19:51.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        People might remember Julia Wolfe from the Bang on a Can Festival at the South Bank, a few years ago.
        ... if not from her appearances in Huddersfield before that. <suggitemoticon>
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Another step along the way: http://www.theguardian.com/music/mus...music-barbican

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            The use of words like badass, thrash and zoom may have more reach than I can comprehend.
            I doubt it. It's just one man trying to impress by attempting to look cool, but failing to do so, looking rather immature instead,

Comment

• Lat-Literal
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              I doubt it. It's just one man trying to impress by attempting to look cool, but failing to do so, looking rather immature instead,
              Yes, well, that is a very interesting point and I believe you teach music so you will have more knowledge than me. However, my feeling is that the music of adolescence sits in its own right often with attitudes to accompany it and an appreciation of it can be carried forward for decades. But when it comes to classical music and reaching out, I think there is likely to be more success in appealing to the child in people or the adult in people or both. I suggest the same is true of encouraging an appreciation of gardening and countryside.

Comment

Working...
              X