X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Franz Schubert - 'Winterreise'

I have long relied on and been happy with DFD's DG recording, but lately I've been almost bewitched with Bostridge's performance.
    Beef, I expect you've come across perhaps read IB's excellent book "Schubert's Winter Journey - Anatomy of an obsession" - some great insights (I thought )

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      Just to revive this thread, and share my enthusiasm, I am just listening to Dichterliebe, Pregardien/ Staier.

I know others have enthused about these recordings,( Vinny especially), but this really is utterly beautiful.

Here it is on youtube for free.

The genius of Schubert!

Comment

• AmpH
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Just to revive this thread, and share my enthusiasm, I am just listening to Dichterliebe, Pregardien/ Staier.

I know others have enthused about these recordings,( Vinny especially), but this really is utterly beautiful.

Here it is on youtube for free.

Dichterliebe is one of my favourite works ts. I was introduced to it at school when it was one of the set works to study for Music O Level. I have many recordings, including Pregardien / Staier which is superb, but if I could only keep one recording it would be Wolfgang Holzmair (baritone) and Imogen Cooper (piano) on Philips, which is a glorious partnership of Holzmair's voice at its freshest and Imogen Cooper's sensitive accompaniment.

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

I have just discovered this wonderful thread. Lots of great music and discussion. I am one who does not have any German and when I first started teaching had no Schubert Lieder, which I guessed was the place to start. I bought a record of Schwarzkopf singing and listened for something I thought I could tempt my classes with. They did not exactly dance on their desktops but I was captivated by this one, Im Fruhling, and have gone on since to meet and love many of your recommendations above.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

A good moment to revive this thread, with the fabulous new Hannigan/ de Leeuw disc “ Fin de Siecle”

The disc does what it promises, by plonking us firmly and exquisitely at the end of the German Romantic tradition, looking forward to new musical developments.

Listening to this with Lieder.net to hand, its clear that BH Interprets very sensitively, and she sings with exceptional beauty.
            This is top of my xmas list, and I think I’ll be listening to it a lot.
            It is wonderful.

I’d be interested in what German speakers think of her interpretation and pronunciation though.

( Available on Spotify and Apple Music).
            Last edited by teamsaint; 08-10-18, 23:00.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Couldn't resist taking myself off to Wigmore today for debut in that venue of Cardiff winner, mezzo, Catriona Morison. Also British first appearance of Japanese accompaniist ,Yuka Beppu. Lovely recital live on R3.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Personally I can't get enough of Fatma Said.... what a voice, what a musician.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• gradus
                  • Nov 2010

On Ian Skelly's morning prog, an interesting brief interview with Ingrid Fliter and the influence of lieder on her playing, especially Dietrich F-D, followed by 2 Dichterliebe songs recorded by him in 1956. Perhaps why her playing so appeals to me?

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    On Ian Skelly's morning prog, an interesting brief interview with Ingrid Fliter and the influence of lieder on her playing, especially Dietrich F-D, followed by 2 Dichterliebe songs recorded by him in 1956. Perhaps why her playing so appeals to me?
                    Despite many efforts I'm not usually a great fan of DF-D's voice and style, but these excerpts may inspire some reconsideration, particularly of earlier recordings before say 1960.
                    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                      Despite many efforts I'm not usually a great fan of DF-D's voice and style, but these excerpts may inspire some reconsideration, particularly of earlier recordings before say 1960.
                      If you are going to have a "mannered" style in music, and mostly I wouldn't by choice, D F-D is the one to have in my humble opinion.

He doesn't tick any of my boxes - and yet somehow I find him very moving.

Re comments on Bostridge, yes, all very fine and I tend to think there of "To Gratiana". But, there is a more leftfield version of it which was done by more of a populist although one going very many decades back. R3 Breakfast played it once and Bryn and I had a discussion about it. That was my favourite and I can't for the life of me remember who it was by.

This is all quite interesting territory for me. I'm very much into discoveries that are not the obvious. Mainly they would not hover towards the Austro-German. That is not prejudice. It is preference and I often long to have myself proved wrong not factually which is easy but in terms of what appeals. Winterreise is arguably overly played on the radio so it is hardly one to be discovered. And yet, just as with Mahler's lieder, I find it appealing. This was not at all what I expected when starting out. I will still more naturally be found all around the centrality.
                      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 09-10-18, 23:07.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

There was a tantalising glimpse into the world of Liszt songs om yeaterdays RR, from the latest Disc in a Hyperion series.

AFAICR Hyperion don’t do streaming, so guess I may have a bit of a punt on one of the discs.

Anybody well up on these songs, who would care to give recommendations?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Pianorak
                          • Nov 2010

Holzmair and Bostridge all excellent in "Dichterliebe", but top of the list for me: Simon Keenlyside and Malcolm Martineau. Much prefer a baritone voice, yet no fan of DFD either.
                          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                          X