• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Sun 1 May - Szymanowski and Lutosławski

"Stephen Johnson is joined by the BBC Philharmonic, violinist Alina Ibragimova and conductor Leo Hussain to explore music by two great 20th Century Polish composers: Karol Szymanowski's Violin Concerto No 1 and Witold Lutoslawski's Symphony No 4."
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Looks a cracker of a double bill - those guys in the band will be working their socks off! And she is a terrific player as well.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      ... she is a terrific player as well.

Try telling that to Cellini.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

A bit of the Lutoslawski 4 .

And the beginning of Benedetti's Young Musician performance.

[All due respect to Cellini in mentioning Benedetti, too ]
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• JoeG

Noticed that in RT - looks intriguing - I shall be out celebrating May Day at a community event in Bradford but will record for future edification.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
            • Nov 2010

Lutoslawski has disappeared somewhat off R3's radar in the last couple of years, so this is welcome. I expect with a centenary coming up though things might improve further. Hopefully Panufnik and Penderecki will also be rehabilitated as they too have been sidelined by the current R3 regime.

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

I listened in on the Lutoslawski 4. Not easy as I was at the Sweeps festival. I had to slope off to Rochester Espanade with my radio and hope no one noticed.
              Some interesting points- and I've learnt about this symphony from other sources. But it was too brief! I prefer it when they dedicate the whole programme to just one work.
              I heard this symphony in 1999- and only last year discovered where the mvt 2 starts!
              Currently learning no.3 which is also in 1 mvt (or 2 mvts, or 3!)

3VS

Comment

Working...
              X