• Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Happy Birthday La Monte

80 today

• Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Just yesterday I was seriously considering putting "I never intended my drones to be used for this purpose" on the things composers never said thread, before realising that few on this forum would have heard of La Monte.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Wow! Talk about video synchronization problems! The actual performance appears to last around 4hours 3 minutes and 24 seconds, but the video freezes part way through with the audio continuing. The last couple of hours are silent with the hand flying all over the keyboard at times. The audio, by the way, is in 96kpbs AAC-LC.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Wow! Talk about video synchronization problems! The actual performance appears to last around 4hours 3 minutes and 24 seconds, but the video freezes part way through with the audio continuing. The last couple of hours are silent with the hand flying all over the keyboard at times. The audio, by the way, is in 96kpbs AAC-LC.
        That's odd because it appeared to be the same version that I once listened to all the way through.
        Which might have been taken down now?
        Maybe the various parts version would work better (though I loved just putting it on and living inside it) ?

Have some of this instead....

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

Fascinating. A number of years ago I went to an exhibition in London on Fluxus. I can't remember when or where but it may have been the original Tate before the advent of "Tate Modern". It was mainly about the visual aspects of art. But the musical side of it is something that interests me too, not least because it is the 1960s in the late 1970s that the late 1970s dared not mention, preferring to appear to be in opposition to the previous decade. See also the Situationists who away from overt politics are closely aligned to it - or were.

Should one suggest that the media presentation of Middle East atrocities and even parades of different dress in places like Luton are pure Situationism? That, I think, is merely a reiteration of the sense of threat in the less easily "packagable" which wouldn't have political power if people just ignored it. A confident society would have the tolerance to enable the flourishing of unexpected positive artistic expression. Society was more confident in the 1960s, albeit with unease. Even Bill Boaks was a Situationist although he didn't know it.

Last edited by Lat-Literal; 14-10-15, 13:50.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Fascinating. A number of years ago I went to an exhibition in London on Fluxus. I can't remember when or where but it may have been the original Tate before the advent of "Tate Modern". It was mainly about the visual aspects of art. But the musical side of it is something that interests me too, not least because it is the 1960s in the late 1970s that the late 1970s dared not mention, preferring to appear to be in opposition to the previous decade. See also the Situationists who away from overt politics are closely aligned to it - or were.
            Lot's on UBUweb

and
            La Fondazione Bonotto nasce per promuovere la Collezione Luigi Bonotto che dai primi anni Settanta ad oggi ha raccolto numerosissime testimonianze tra opere, documentazioni audio, video, manifesti, libri, riviste ed edizioni di artisti Fluxus e...

etc

La Monte's significance and influence is immense IMV

Comment

• jean
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              ...few on this forum would have heard of La Monte.
              To the extent that I, for one, read the thread title as de Monte...

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Lot's on UBUweb

and
                La Fondazione Bonotto nasce per promuovere la Collezione Luigi Bonotto che dai primi anni Settanta ad oggi ha raccolto numerosissime testimonianze tra opere, documentazioni audio, video, manifesti, libri, riviste ed edizioni di artisti Fluxus e...

etc

La Monte's significance and influence is immense IMV

Cheers mate!!!

Lonnie Donegan

Three teaspoons.

And an aardvark???

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  To the extent that I, for one, read the thread title as de Monte...
                  The man from La Monte says "yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" (for a very long time)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    80 today

Happy Birthday indeed!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X