X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neiltingley
    • Sep 2011

Camilla Wicks

How many people have heard of Camilla Wicks ?
  • HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

This new(ish) set gets a rave review (and a Diapason d'Or) in the October issue:

Comment

• neiltingley
      • Sep 2011

My question was meant to be a teaser :-)

I'm listening to her Music and Arts radio broadcast compilation. I'm going to stick my neck out and say she's one of the greatest violinists I've ever heard. Listen to the Wieniawski 2nd concerto. It's up there with Heifetz. I'm a amazed I'd never heard of her before.

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

I had heard of her, because I have a copy of a mono Capitol LP (P 8327) of her playing the Sibelius concerto, with the SO of Radio-Stockholm cond. Sixten Ehrling. The sleeve note says she is an American who made her debut in New York in 1946, aged seventeen, playing the Sibeiius with the NYPO cond. Artur Rodzinski. She toured Europe and was so successful that she was invited to meet Sibelius at his home. The LP is undated, but looks to have been issued sometime in the 1950s. She seems to have been one of those artists who, until now, never got reissued on CD.

Comment

• neiltingley
          • Sep 2011

She quit concertising in her early thirties in order to raise a family. She played Paganini 1st concerto aged 9!!!!!!

Comment

• neiltingley
            • Sep 2011

Yup. Listening on qobuz now. Some stunning playing. Technically incredible, bowing as smooth as Milstein's and fingers like lightening. Individuality and bucket loads of musicality.

Comment

• neiltingley
              • Sep 2011

This is supposed to be 'legendary' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2p...2j2WxN&index=1

Am listening now.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                • Nov 2010

It may have been 'teasing' but I, genuinely have never heard of her!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Is there not also a live Beethoven with Walter that has iconic status .

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

There is a Japanese CD pressing on EMI of her Sibelius Concerto with Sixten Ehrling( surprisingly cheap on Amazon ) who also made a cracking version with Oistrakh .

It is very striking , pure and icy almost the complete opposite of Ida Haendel with Rattle for example . Heavens above though what amazing playing like Heifetz with a sort hidden passion . Sensational technically with intonation to make your hair stand on end with its perfection .

Well worth getting even if it would be far from the only way to play the piece I would not want to be without it . It lives up to its exalted reputation .
                    Last edited by Barbirollians; 13-10-15, 22:26.

Comment

Working...
                    X