What's happened to "Classical" on revamped Independent website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lordgeous
    • Dec 2012

What's happened to "Classical" on revamped Independent website?

Can't find it - "Music" only includes Pop now! Or am i having a grey moment?
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
    Can't find it - "Music" only includes Pop now! Or am i having a grey moment?
    Scroll right to the bottom of the "Culture" page - you will find "Classical" (such as there is) on the right under the "Plus" banner.

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Cheers! Mmm... Not what it used to be, alas.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

It would appear to be yet another example of the marginalization of classical music.

MrGG says there are no barbarians at the door. He's absolutely right. They entered and took over several decades ago.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          It would appear to be yet another example of the marginalization SP of classical music.

MrGG says there are no barbarians at the door. He's absolutely right. They entered and took over several decades ago.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Problem with -iz spelling, Mr GG?
            Why?
            Check out any good dictionary (e.g., Concise Oxford) and you will discover that the primary listing for such words is now under z, with s as the alternative. It is NOT creeping Americanization (sic), as many suspect!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Why?
              Check out any good dictionary (e.g., Concise Oxford) and you will discover that the primary listing for such words is now under z, with s as the alternative. It is NOT creeping Americanization (sic), as many suspect!
              It's the barbarians I tell ye !

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Why?
                Actually, I accept Mr GG's reproof. Hardly anyone in the UK uses the "z" spelling. The good people at Oxford are out of touch with reality, but are obsessed by Ancient Greek, quite forgetting that our language owes more to Latin than to Greek. How many Latin words contain the letter "z"?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

. The good people at Oxford are out of touch with reality,
                  No change there then Oink Oink

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

I have a suspicion that these days, the Barbarians (tm) would be a franchised organisation, with their head office and other non core functions outsourced to the Far East, and with their registered offices in a Carribbean tax haven.

the gates would likely have been taken down and sold, to offset costs.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      No change there then Oink Oink
                      Why do we have the two forms -ise and -ize and where is each used?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Alpie has always had a thing about the -ize, I know not why.

We were here a couple of years ago -

The whole blog is riddled with those nausiating "...ize" endings.
                        A fuller account of the reasons for preferring -ize (apart from the arguments from Hart and Fowler which we have had before):

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          Alpie has always had a thing about the -ize, I know not why.
                          You wrong me on this occasion. I was taking a neutral stance.

A fuller account of the reasons for preferring -ize (apart from the arguments from Hart and Fowler which we have had before):

http://www.metadyne.co.uk/ize.html
                          Having just read this article, the conclusion seemed to suggest the opposite . . .

I must take issue with 'Phonetic considerations favour the z.' The letter "s" is pronounced with a buzzing sound (i.e. like a "z") monumentally more frequently than with a hissing sound, for which it's often doubled. Not only is this the case in its use in some of the most common words - is, his, hers, was, has, but also in most plurals.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Actually, I accept Mr GG's reproof. Hardly anyone in the UK uses the "z" spelling. The good people at Oxford are out of touch with reality, but are obsessed by Ancient Greek, quite forgetting that our language owes more to Latin than to Greek. How many Latin words contain the letter "z"?
                            Apologies for continuing to be off main thread topic, but not just Oxford: my Chambers and Collins dictionaries also have the primary listing under the z option. Look up a word such as realize, for example.

I did my editorial training at The Institue of Physics; their journal style used the z, and I have never had a problem with it!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Apologies for continuing to be off main thread topic, but not just Oxford: my Chambers and Collins dictionaries also have the primary listing under the z option. Look up a word such as realize, for example.

I did my editorial training at The Institue of Physics; their journal style used the z, and I have never had a problem with it!
                              That would be the Institute of Phyzics then, surely?

Comment

Working...
                              X