Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kea
    • Dec 2013

Aside from Cage, and Stefan Wolpe (if he counts) I find it hard to think of many works for this medium by Americans that have left a positive impression on me. I used to enjoy the Carter quartets much more than I do now, and it's been a long time since I listened to many others (incl the Rochbergs, Babbitts, Diamonds, Iveses etc).

Some additional names though from a quick scan of my music library—most of which I will admit to not having listened to in some time:

Matthew Barnson - 3 string quartets on Tzadik, struck me as a more coherent/aesthetically meaningful and smoothed out Black Angels
    Elliott Sharp - various quartets involving various degrees of improvisation/free jazz stuff
    Kristian Ireland - from Stanford, Ferneyhough student; not sure if these are commercially available though
    Ben Johnston - west coast microtonal, somewhat folk/minimal inspired but sticking to traditional concepts of form and line; bring your own cannabis
    James Tenney - there's an apparently complete recording by the Quatuor Bozzini & in general it's Bozzini-ish sort of stuff
    Henry Cowell - a good number of works, not all titled string quartets, scattered among various labels/performers—also very broad variety in style & substance

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

An interesting list kea

From your 'additional names' list I have only heard the Ben Johnston. In fact I'm listening to his #10 as I type (into the final movement). I have the complete set on 3 CDs by the Kepler Quartet. I will look out for the music of the others in your list, starting with Cowell.

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

On the Brooklyn Rider CDs I have:

Dominant Curve includes:
        Achille's Heel by Colin Jacobsen
        In a Landscape by John Cage (arr)

Seven Steps includes:
        Together into this Unknowable Land by Christopher Tignor

A Walking Fire includes:
        Three Miniatures for String Quartet by Colin Jacobsen

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

Gloria Coates's quartets?

Strongly recommended to those who love glissandi, but less so to those who don't But worth a listen to find out!
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
            Gloria Coates's quartets?

Strongly recommended to those who love glissandi, but less so to those who don't But worth a listen to find out!
            It's a few years since I listened to them. I must get them down from the self and indulge my ears again.

Comment

• verismissimo
              • Nov 2010

I got out two LPs of American quartets that I've had for some decades:

Ruth Crawford Seeger, SQ
              George Perle, SQ5
              Milton Babbitt, SQ2
              (Composers Quartet, Nonesuch, 1973)

Lukas Foss, SQ1 (American Art Quartet)
              William Bergsma, SQ3 (Juilliard Quartet)
              (Columbia Collectors Series, nd)

Listening to the Foss now …

Comment

Working...
              X