Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

Not irrelevant to this discussion, I think, was my hearing how many times Elizabeth Alker used the word 'classical' yesterday afternoon, as if she'd been told to emphasise Radio 3' s inclusion of this genre. Fifty yeas ago I don't recall hearing the word at all on Radio 3. It didn't seem necessary to single out classical music as something separate. I think the first time I heard it was Petroc Trelawney about 1998 telling us that 'of course, Handel's Messiah is a famous piece of English classical music (sic) '.

'Light Music' of course used to be a frequent aspect of the BBC Light Programme and then Radio 2. I gather it's not welcome there now.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      Not irrelevant to this discussion, I think, was my hearing how many times Elizabeth Alker used the word 'classical' yesterday afternoon, as if she'd been told to emphasise Radio 3' s inclusion of this genre. Fifty yeas ago I don't recall hearing the word at all on Radio 3. It didn't seem necessary to single out classical music as something separate. I think the first time I heard it was Petroc Trelawney about 1998 telling us that 'of course, Handel's Messiah is a famous piece of English classical music (sic) '.

'Light Music' of course used to be a frequent aspect of the BBC Light Programme and then Radio 2. I gather it's not welcome there now.
      Banished long ago!

Comment

• Master Jacques
        • Feb 2012

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
        Thanks to Master Jacques I shall listen to Elizabethan Serenade with new ears!

Another fan of Ketelbey here. (There's a tradition at the Scarborough Spa Orchestra concerts that when a piece by AK is announced the audience gives a loud cheer.)
        Thank you, hmvman!

As for Great Albert, I'm a huge admirer of his, too. One of my most treasured Radio 3 moments occurred at the end of a taped broadcast of a BBC Symphony Orchestra concert in Toronto, in the years when they used to tour abroad. At the end of a magnificent performance of Elgar's 1st Symphony, greeted with warm applause, the orchestra treated the Canadians to the best performance I've ever heard of 'Appy 'Ampstead, Ketèlbey's almost surreally Ivesian scherzo - at the end the audience went wild with delight. The conductor: Osmo Vänskä!

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
          Shame that the Proms hasn't devoted any concerts to light music and perhaps more surprising that British orchestras seldom if ever offer it as encores.
          Agreed. The Henry Mancini Prom finished with Laurie Johnson's Las Vegas which is a splendid piece of light music.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
            Shame that the Proms hasn't devoted any concerts to light music and perhaps more surprising that British orchestras seldom if ever offer it as encores.
            I'd have no criticism of that in principle. But I would have if it meant introducing several light music concerts in addition to Sam Smith, Florence and the Machine, the Let's Dance disco, Nick Drake et al ... In other words, it's not about good and less good: it's about stretching the remit of the Proms and thus diluting its core purpose.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

Exactly, and as a result a proper marking of the Bruckner and Schoenberg anniversaries, among other things, was excluded.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

And concerning Mr Tomlinson, who* can remove Dick’s Maggot from the mind’s ear for hours after a hearing…?
                I see Richard’s Earworm is coming up on this evening’s FNIMN at 7.30 on R3

Vinteuil and FF will be secretly tuning in, I feel sure
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                  Exactly, and as a result a proper marking of the Bruckner and Schoenberg anniversaries, among other things, was excluded.
                  Something which would have been unbelievable just a few years ago.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

... not while there's still some Morton Feldman and more ars subtilior to catch up on

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ars subtilior

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                        ars subtilior

... that, Rumpole, is why we have a Radio 3.

Of course there should be a Light Programme for them as likes such...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Not being able to 'remov[e] it from the mind’s ear for hours after a hearing' would be sufficient reason to avoid listening to it in the first place. I can't be bothered with short pieces other than in a stylistically coherent sequence of like works.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

I shall be openly tuning in.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I shall be openly tuning in.
                              So shall I

Bonus: no ‘vocalists’, it seems

Comment

Working...
                              X