Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

from Monty Python's Flying Circus Season 2 - Episode 15 The Spanish IquisitionRecorded 02-07-70, Aired 22-09-70

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I find I cannot cope with ONE. The music always takes over in my head, which is why I detest piped music. Many people are able simply to switch off, but my brain doesn't work like that.

I remember a sales assistant in Comet saying, "Can I help you, sir?"
      I replied, "Yes, please would you switch the music off."
      "The music? Oh that music. No, I'm sorry. That isn't possible. I never hear it."

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Sometimes One,usually 'less demanding stuff',maybe Mozart ,Haydn piano music or pop/rock,whilst driving or walking the dogs.

Mostly Two

Increasingly Three,The more I have become interested in music theory,orchestration,history of music and such,the more I find this way of listening satisfying

I have a fourth way too.

To keep depression at bay I listen to Vaugham Williams,Howells and Mendelssohn.
        Broadly this - although I have waves of acute panic rather than depression. I can't believe that only three have been listed. I have experienced all these at various times in my life:

Music as a distraction from worries, blocking out unpleasant or discomforting sights and sounds in the immediacy, re-balancing perspective when everything feels like it is spinning out of control, imagining other people listening to what I am listening to and calming down, connecting with other people in a different way from talking and listening, ie with a feeling of common identification and even congregation, as motivation to leave the house..............

............. as a means of finding common purpose when other strategies fail - especially helpful in business meetings or it used to be and with strangers on a bus and in a pub, being content without it but choosing to be lifted with it upwards to a position much better than content, re-locating a sense of soul both in me and in the world at large, a reinforcing of any remaining sense of continuity, a decision to experience colour differently, reminding myself I know a reasonable amount about one thing if nothing else.........

.............as a diary, as a means of creating a sense of comprehensible order rather than directly experiencing the chaos in political organisation, a statement against aspects of the political order or in favour of a few of them, spatially, an alternative way of feeling a connection with rural and urban environments, as an inter-linkage between family and friends and other people, as emotion rather than merely a reflection of emotion, boisterously, nostalgically, with intense classification, with excitement, with delight, as what will force me into getting to grips with any new technology, as facilitating fanciful roles...............

............as study, as a diversion from physical constraints, an easing of boredom, as a way of finding something to respect in other people, very occasionally to identify the godlike, as a paintbox, numerically, as a film, as a means of travelling to places I will never visit, as me or we, working with creative contrast in preference to bickering and battle even if controversial, as a shopping list, a photo album, as paintings on a wall, harking back to times as they never were knowing that they never were, having more of a connection with actual history that affected other people, proving to others and myself that I have some capability to move on personally, as movement itself............

............as poetry, linked to poetry and the wider arts, as a fundamental part of broadcasting in which oddly there were not always the clearest of distinctions between the music and the presenters of music but rather at their best they could be collage, experiencing people I know well in a deeper or more heightened way, being with mates - the cool, the anoraks and/or the serious, as a collector though not a hoarder, as search, as self-worth, as an antidote to always having to look at things, in nervy anticipation, as the most wonderful surprise, at football, on lawns and in fields, beside a bonfire, in the air, in ceremony, in commemoration, randomly........!
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 11-09-15, 12:30.

Comment

• greenilex
          • Nov 2010

Exhaustive. As an aid to list-making?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
            Exhaustive. As an aid to list-making?

Comment

Working...
            X