• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

There are Three Ways To Listen To Music

Surfing the net for some background on DSCH's string quartets, I came across this. It contained an interesting and simple idea about three ways that music is listened to.

I certainly listen to music according to the first two, but not the third. Although the three approaches are pretty much mutually exclusive, there probably is some slight overlap, here and there. Maybe not.

One
    There seems to be three ways that we listen to music - be it pop, jazz, classical or whatever. The first is the most common: we use it as background music. We listen but our thoughts are elsewhere. We are shopping in the supermarket, or enjoying ourselves at a nightclub, or we use it to block all other distractions whilst studying. In these cases the music creates a backcloth, an environment in which we feel well and relaxed. We are not really conscious of the music; we might not even remember afterwards what was played. We hear the music rather than listen to it.

Two
    The second way is typified by falling onto the sofa with the headphones on, gazing at the ceiling and letting ourselves be seduced by the pleasure of the sound. We indulge ourselves in a sensual experience which Wagner exemplified in the 'Liebestod'. We submerge ourselves in the music and it overwhelms us. Lost in rapture we are conscious of nothing else. Consumed by the music we let our feelings freely drift in its cross-currents. But we are mesmerized emotionally, but not intellectually: we are engulfed in an aural occurrence, but not in a dispassionate analysis of the musical structure. This is a deeply subjective sensation. We react as individual beings and our innermost predilections amplify the music's emotional impulse.

Three
    The third way is rarer, maybe equally valuable, but certainly not superior. We scrutinise the music itself. In other words we ignore our emotional reactions to the music and are concerned only with the music as a composition. We examine it through the eyepiece of the academic; the historian; the musicologist. It is its form rather than its effect on us which is important. We are interested in perceiving the musical ideas; dissecting them and seeing how they reappear, develop and resurface. We follow the syntax of the piece; how it is constructed; how the various elements are related to each other; we analysis and follow the logic of music's development. We also try to understand the music in a wider context; relate it to the time of its composition; to the circumstances and conditions of its creation. When we listen to a composition in this way it seems that the deeper our background knowledge is, the richer is our musical experience.
  • LeMartinPecheur
    • Apr 2007

Um, yes. Not too much to say about One, except that critics like Hans Keller tell us not to do it at all. But who here (except possibly Roehre) will say they've never done it? And wouldn't CD sales and much other musical activity collapse if we all saw the light?

Two and Three are an interesting opposition. Two IMHO really leads to the simple decision "I like it" or "I don't like it". Which is not at all to say that such judgments are trivial!

Three requires objectivity and analysis based on, ahem, facts,things demontsrably there in the music. This is where academic analysis shines, and may transmute the perceptions of dumb-ass listeners like LMP, who if told what to listen out for, may well find it and get pleasure from the discovery.

Pleasure??? That's only permissible in Category Two!

Umm, what I think I'm leaning towards is that Two and Three are surely complementary, cross-pollenating categories, and by no means impossible to do simultaneously.
    I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Don't know about the first - it's only when I'm checking a new disc for flaws that I have it on "in the background".

Two AND three simultaneously is how I prefer to listen - I don't know how to "ignore [my] emotional reactions", nor how to "submerge" without an "intellectual" involvement: I don't think that "emotional" and "intellectual" are separate things - appreciating the sensual needs a simultaneous coincidence of sense (the sounds) and awareness (memory). Just as I needed to have been taught to read in order to enjoy a novel - the intellect and emotion are both in play, inseparable.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
        Umm, what I think I'm leaning towards is that Two and Three are surely complementary, cross-pollenating categories, and by no means impossible to do simultaneously.
        - my "leaning", too!
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• edashtav
          • Jul 2012

I have a problem with the categories. ONE seems about HEARING - an unintentional act, whereas TWO & THREE are more aligned with LISTENING.

I can't do ONE and be LISTENING, I'm afraid.

Only THREE satisfies me.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Mostly TWO for me but with a touch of THREE as well. ONE is anathema to me.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              - my "leaning", too!
              I think mine too, although I wouild have to say that when encountering a work for the first time, especially a work of complexity, whether that be on the emotional or technical level, my initial responses are on a like/dislike scale, which of course may fluctuate as the work proceeds; but if there's enough to warrant further listening, that on balance tilts me towards the liking end of the spectrum. So in effect I'm constantly oscillating between various modalities of response. Once won over I'm likely to get further enjoyment from delving deeper into how the music's put together, what there is that is original or otherwise about it.

One thing I agree with MrGG about is that different periods or genres of music call for different kinds of listening. I used to have this idea that classical music appeals to emotions and intellect, jazz to emotions, intellect and physically; but I have to admit to being moved (literally) by quite a lot of music in the classical tradition from most periods too, and have to suppress my body movements, such as swaying, because others present, unlike me, might not have their eyes firmly shut at live music events!

PS - Is one, for the purposes of this discussion, allowed to listen to music with one's eyes?

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                ... But who here (except possibly Roehre) will say they've never done it?...
                Hi LMP. I am certain I've never listened to music this way (I've heard it this way, but not by choice). I know now that it's my Asperger's that's responsible - I have difficulty filtering out background noise and so have developed coping mechanisms to compensate. Thus, to actively engage in countering my coping mechanism would probably blow my mind.

If I ever become aware of 'background' classical music, my mind switches to listening type 3 - whether I want it to or not. Trying to filter it out in such circumstances is very distracting.

By the way, this sentence says rather more about the writer than perhaps they wanted:
                The third way is rarer, maybe equally valuable, but certainly not superior.

Insecurity on show there...

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  If I ever become aware of 'background' classical music, my mind switches to listening type 3 - whether I want it to or not. Trying to filter it out in such circumstances is very distracting.
                  I can relate to that. A local Waterstones was once playing the Brahms Violin Concerto and I had immense difficulty in concentrating on anything else. I'm not sure how those people on here can drive safely while having music on in the car. All things considered it's a good thing I don't drive!
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    I can relate to that. A local Waterstones was once playing the Brahms Violin Concerto and I had immense difficulty in concentrating on anything else. I'm not sure how those people on here can drive safely while having music on in the car. All things considered it's a good thing I don't drive!
                    I can'l drive now (stroke) but used to a lot. I could never drive and listen to music at the same time - all attempts were unsatisfactory just because I needed to listen too intently. So I had hundreds of spoken word tapes instead, which were not problematic.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Sometimes One,usually 'less demanding stuff',maybe Mozart ,Haydn piano music or pop/rock,whilst driving or walking the dogs.

Mostly Two

Increasingly Three,The more I have become interested in music theory,orchestration,history of music and such,the more I find this way of listening satisfying

I have a fourth way too.

To keep depression at bay I listen to Vaugham Williams,Howells and Mendelssohn.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                        • Nov 2010

As I have got older, I have tried to avoid Mode 1. I sometimes play music in the car but after I have negotiated (say) a roundabout, I realise that I have blanked out the music briefly but completely. Modes two and three are not mutually exclusive. One reason, I think, why J S Bach's music is so satisfying is that it perfectly combines the intellectual and the sensual. I can listen to a piece such as the 'Dorian' fugue and follow the counterpoint, at the same time anticipating that perfectly timed pedal entry knowing it will almost certainly provoke goosebumps. In the final bars (homophonic) the sensual experience outweighs the intellectual, at least for me.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Maybe just me but I had a little rant at a local Waterstones that was playing WAM's Musical Joke. They didn't seem to register when I said it was deliberately cr*p classical music and not a thing of beauty at all.

BBC Horse of the Year Show has a lot to answer for

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

One thing I will say for Mode One. When I first got interested in classical music in my teens and was still encountering weird stuff like certain Beethoven, Brahms and Mozart symphonies for the first time, I'd see that something I really wanted to hear was on the R3 concert and I'd put on the radio in my bedroom. Unfortunately, I often had oodles of science/maths homework to do and after hearing the opening announcement, the next thing that I'd properly notice would be audience applause and closing announcements. "Damn, I didn't hear a note of it!" I'd think, and this might occur several times with the same work. But when I eventually got a chance to listen to it properly I'd find that I already knew it, could anticipate what would happen next.

So while not actively recommending Mode One, it does seem to have its uses!

( Maybe a bit like those language courses you were supposed to listen to and learn while you slept? Though I heard that the snag was that to recall the word you needed, you had to mentally replay the whole tape from the start till you got to it Urban myth??)
                            Last edited by LeMartinPecheur; 08-08-15, 10:54. Reason: Clarity of final para

Comment

• Roehre

ONE is completely and utterly anathema to me.

In a situation in which I am confronted with classical music as background, I -like Petrushka- am that much distracted that it affects seriously my concentration. For the same reason there is no way I ever would switch on a music channel on the radio or a cassette tape () or CD while driving.

My listening habits, more concentrated in winter time as I don't like visual distractions during listening, are a mix of TWO and THREE. In THREE I certainly enjoy discovering relationships between melodies (of whatever kind), harmonies, instrumentation, (cross-)rhythms etc which passed my ears earlier in the piece (or in other pieces, if these are the composer's fingerprints, or when there is an influence or quotation from other composers' works/ styles detectable). I love discovering forms at first hearing, if only to get grip onto the piece.

For me there is a difference between the works I emotionally am very fond of and those which tingle me intellectually. Good example: Tchaikovsky 5's finale is one of my emotionally defined toppers. I KNOW it's a bombastic piece with some structural question marks. With 1812 it's the other way around: I admire the construction (it IS really a good piece, academically speaking), but what a noise it makes .

I love positioning a (for me new) piece in the composer's output and in its historical surroundings, listening for clues, being surprised how a work develops and then sometimes it enters my personal canon of favourites (or following re-listening after some time and it falls out of it ).

TWO and THREE for me, most of the time combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X