• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

April Cantelo (1928 – 2024)

Times obituary here:

The singer was the main breadwinner of her family, outshining her conductor husband Colin Davis before their separation
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Goodness, that took me off on a nostalgia tour of youthful memory lanes - pleasant but not helpful for getting the morning's tasks done! The Highnam Court project (including the Courtyard Arts Trust), April Cantelo and Roger Smith, were part of an enjoyable few years of my life when I was involved in a lot of music-making in Gloucestershire.
    The date of death was apparently mid-July, despite the obituary appearing today.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Primarily remembered here (at least on the shelves) by her contributions to the John's Haydn masses under Guest, and some Handel (Chandos 6 and 10, amongst others) with King's and Willcocks.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        I remember her as soloist on a WRC recording of Grieg’s Peer Gynt (RPO Gibson).

Comment

• hmvman
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Goodness, that took me off on a nostalgia tour of youthful memory lanes - pleasant but not helpful for getting the morning's tasks done! The Highnam Court project (including the Courtyard Arts Trust), April Cantelo and Roger Smith, were part of an enjoyable few years of my life when I was involved in a lot of music-making in Gloucestershire.
          The date of death was apparently mid-July, despite the obituary appearing today.
          It was mentioned on the Lebrecht site a few weeks back. I was watching the 'Britten on Camera' programme on iPlayer the other day and April Cantelo appeared on there talking about her role in 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

RIP.

Comment

Working...
          X