Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

American Critic Huntley Dent nominated the Rattle/BPO Brahms Symphony set from 2009 for their “Classical Music Hall of Fame” department. I haven’t heard them ; I think that there was some off putting gimmickry associated with their release, such as an expensive limited edition vinyl only series initially. So I added it to my Apple Music playlist

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

For a while in Chicago we had a yahoo who must be the cousin of the gent described at the Proms but he fortunately has been MIA the last few years. In general fwiw I have noticed better concert audience behavior lately, with pauses before applause and much less phone use during the music
      In Edinburgh in the late 1980’s, we had a real boor who sat in the front row of the stalls of the Usher Hall at the SNO’s Friday night concerts who made a heck of a noise at the quietist of endings. Turned out he was an Australian who was the boyfriend of an ex-girlfriend of mine! I had the unfortunate experience of meeting him and his obnoxious behaviour wasn’t confined to the concert hall!

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

In Edinburgh in the late 1980’s, we had a real boor who sat in the front row of the stalls of the Usher Hall at the SNO’s Friday night concerts who made a heck of a noise at the quietist of endings. Turned out he was an Australian who was the boyfriend of an ex-girlfriend of mine! I had the unfortunate experience of meeting him and his obnoxious behaviour wasn’t confined to the concert hall!
        You should have sat him down and in your best Dame Edna voice explained concert etiquette to him: "Now Roo, dear..."

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I had to move to a very different part of a train once when a Digger just behind me gleefully phoned a friend and shouted 'Giss who this is, Myte! Naw, pick the voice! Pick the voice, myte! Pick the voice, myte!' and much more.

I'm sure there are many nice Australians. I was thinking of Holly Valance, but oh, dear, I've just seen the company she keeps.

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

I think Christopher Mann mentions a weekend Salzburger Festspiele & his colleague, Fridemann Leipold, being there - but my German is terrible & I can't find it online...

Anyway, the Rattle / Wiener Philharmoniker Beethoven 4 is available to hear for ~4 days - but BR Klassik's player can sometimes be a bit tricky to get to the bit you want to hear.
            Thanks, Aunt Daisy. I accessed the live BR Klassik stream via VR - great recommendation from someone on FOR3, IIRC, but only on the Android platform as I found. IOS version terrible - or maybe it’s my lack of technical savoire-faire.

On the question of sonic manipulation, I’m told that current digital technology has made practically anything possible - cutting in takes from different venues, varispeeding if the tempo doesn’t fit, excising single wrong notes & extraneous noises. As Otto Klemperer, who was reputedly appalled by the practice of splicing in patches, might have said, “Ein super-schwindel !”

Comment

• oliver sudden
              • Feb 2024

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              I had to move to a very different part of a train once when a Digger just behind me gleefully phoned a friend and shouted 'Giss who this is, Myte! Naw, pick the voice! Pick the voice, myte! Pick the voice, myte!' and much more.

I'm sure there are many nice Australians. I was thinking of Holly Valance, but oh, dear, I've just seen the company she keeps.
              Pretty good transcription but I don’t know where you get ‘naw’ from. We normally say something a bit more along the lines of ‘naeiou’.

Comment

• silvestrione
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                American Critic Huntley Dent nominated the Rattle/BPO Brahms Symphony set from 2009 for their “Classical Music Hall of Fame” department. I haven’t heard them ; I think that there was some off putting gimmickry associated with their release, such as an expensive limited edition vinyl only series initially. So I added it to my Apple Music playlist
                The Brahms cycle did not work for me. However, I think Rattle had an 'indian summer' with the BPO, once he'd announced he was leaving (!), and the much more recent 'live' Brahms 4 from the Asian tour, available on stream or CD I think, is fabulous, IMHO. And I am a great admirer (no, I love it!) of his BPO Beethoven cycle (best of all the 'Eroica' from a concert in Norway, on DVD). BUT, I just didn't get on with his BPO Mahler and Sibelius and Schumann cycles. HIs BPO 'greatest hits' would for me include the Lutoslawski 3rd Sym, the Bach Passions with Peter Sellars, and the Ligeti performances on the Digital Concert Hall, especially 'Mysteries of the Macabre' with Barbara Hannigan, and the Violin Concerto with Pat Kop.

Comment

Working...
                X