X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Wolfgang Rihm 1952-2024

Catching-up after a few days offline, I noticed this sad news on the Presto site: https://www.prestomusic.com/classica...rihm-1957-2024

Presto has got his daye of birth wrong, but the obituary correctly states that he was 72.

RIP Wolfgang.
  • kuligin
    • Nov 2010

I noticed this news on the Bavarian Radio site, my preferred listing at breakfast, a statement by the Bavarian minister of culture no less. His output is so large it is hard to know where to start. I was deeply impressed by 2 quartets played at Huddersfield and recently discovered his Requiem which is also very impressive

Comment

• oliver sudden
      • Feb 2024

I’ve played quite a lot of Rihm over the years but what impressed me the most was Jakob Lenz.

For what it’s worth he was a very important teacher for my partner and a couple of years ago she asked for the score of Tutuguri as either a birthday or Christmas present (I forget which). So I guess now would be a fitting if sad time to investigate that for myself…

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
        I’ve played quite a lot of Rihm over the years but what impressed me the most was Jakob Lenz.

For what it’s worth he was a very important teacher for my partner and a couple of years ago she asked for the score of Tutuguri as either a birthday or Christmas present (I forget which). So I guess now would be a fitting if sad time to investigate that for myself…

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

My first encounter with the music of Rihm was when Claudio Abbado and the LSO played Dis-Kontur as a substantial prelude to the Mahler 'Resurrection' in 1985 as part of their Mahler, Vienna and the 20th Century series.

I can't forget those almighty thwacks on the bass drum that begin the piece and I eventually sought out a recording, with other Rihm works, by the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oliver sudden
            • Feb 2024

Thanks! But we don’t need another one, I know where she keeps it…

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Thanks! But we don’t need another one, I know where she keeps it…
              Ah! I misunderstood your message: I thought that she'd never been given the requested present!

Comment

• Mandryka
                • Feb 2021

That's quite a long haul. There's a memorable bit where someone screams from the audience.

The thing to know about Rihm at this period is that he was inspired by Antonin Artaud. Music as theatre of cruelty.
                Last edited by Mandryka; 11-08-24, 22:43.

Comment

• Mandryka
                  • Feb 2021

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
                  I noticed this news on the Bavarian Radio site, my preferred listing at breakfast, a statement by the Bavarian minister of culture no less. His output is so large it is hard to know where to start. I was deeply impressed by 2 quartets played at Huddersfield and recently discovered his Requiem which is also very impressive
                  Last year someone asked me about Rihm's music which I've enjoyed . This is what I came up with

The Netherlands Trio recording of Music for Three Stringed Instruments
                  Klangbeschreibung II
                  Blick auf Kolchis
                  Gesänge op 1 (on an MDG CD called Hommage à August Stramm)
                  Kein Firmament
                  Jakob Lenz (there's a DVD of the opera)
                  Anlitz
                  Fremde Szenen
                  Mivos Quartet performance of Quartettstudie
                  Epilog
                  Akt und Tag (on Donaueschenger Musiktage 2006 -- which is a nice CD)
                  Hölderlin-Fragmente with piano
                  Das Rot -- I think generally the lieder with piano are very enjoyable, tell me if this sort of music interests you and I'll think about some more things which interest me.
                  Tutuguri (Beware -- this is a bit like recommending the whole of Klang!)
                  Last edited by Mandryka; 12-08-24, 16:18.

Comment

Working...
                  X