Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      You are not alone, mercs. He has become ludicrous.

The sight and sound of him are firmly banned at Caliban Towers

Carruthers has set the mantraps about the perimeter.

He's terrible! (Tom Service)
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        The man suffers from verbal diarrhoea

a lack of experience and expertise
        Neither is true - he has been a Radio and television presenter for over ten years, and he has great expertise that his published written work (not to mention his unpublished PhD thesis) demonstrates. His early radio work was infectious in its intellectual enthusiasm, and he can still be the most perceptive of interviewers, not allowing the Musicians to get away with the casual clichés that others allow to stand, and, in doing so, draws them into serious discussion of deeper matters of Music than they otherwise allow themselves.

He can be one of the finest broadcasters there has ever been - if the current Beeb would employ editors that held back his impromptu Live wafflings and gabblings. Sadly, as Alpie suggests, the current Beeb tends rather to encourage these - with the result that I wish he'd stick to writing.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Yup, DLS is a terrific writer,I Would like to read a lot more, and see a lot less of him , for now.
          But he could be a really fine broadcaster given the right conditions.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Yes, I fear Tom Service is a living embodiment of the Peter Principle.
            BUT
            listen to John Wilson on 'Front Row' and you can hear that the two presenters are form the same school: ask the question incoherently, and THEN the presenter virtually answers it before letting the interviewee answer. You also always know it's going to happen when we get to the fatal 'because it seems to me / I'd have thought that etcetc' in their 'question', and off they go to explain what they predict the interviewee is going to / ought to say. 'What a clever boy I am!!' stuff.

Nauseatingly smug: interviewee as child being told how to answer.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X