• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Music Matters: Clive Myrie

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
    Although it won’t appeal to every one I have to say that Clive Myrie’s Music Matters interview with war photographer Paul Conroy was one of the best bits of interview radio I’ve heard in a long time. Some hair raising stories from a very brave and intelligent man . Not everything the new controller has done is a disaster.
    Thank you for flagging this. I’ve avoided Music Matters for years, and continued to do so after ‘The Changes’ because Mr Myrie in ‘pleasantly accessible’ mode doesn’t appeal to me…

… but after a smiley start,
    this edition really took off, didn’t it - the context given to the RVW Fantasia was heart-rending and transformed one’s hearing of the piece, and Conroy’s stories from then on in were riveting - plus Clive M dropped his ‘cheery chappie’ mode and reverted to his natural (or so it seems to me) war reporter persona in the company of one of his fellows.

[I thought it merited a thread of its own, your recommendation having been in the Shos. 5 BAL thread…]
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• antongould
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Thank you for flagging this. I’ve avoided Music Matters for years, and continued to do so after ‘The Changes’ because Mr Myrie in ‘pleasantly accessible’ mode doesn’t appeal to me…

this edition really took off, didn’t it - the context given to the RVW Fantasia was heart-rending and transformed one’s hearing of the piece, and Conroy’s stories from then on in were riveting - plus Clive M dropped his ‘cheery chappie’ mode and reverted to his natural (or so it seems to me) war reporter persona in the company of one of his fellows.

[I thought it merited a thread of its own, your recommendation having been in the Shos. 5 BAL thread…]
    I have enjoyed the whole series so far ….. but this was, IMVVHO, exceptional …….

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

It seems only right to give credit where it's due. The problem with the BBC is that they will highlight one complimentary opinion/success and ignore the 94 criticisms/failures. E.g. in his Feedback interview Sam Jackson quoted one listener 'really chuffed' that FNIMN had been found a new home on R3: "Thank you".
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It seems only right to give credit where it's due. The problem with the BBC is that they will highlight one complimentary opinion/success and ignore the 94 criticisms/failures. E.g. in his Feedback interview Sam Jackson quoted one listener 'really chuffed' that FNIMN had been found a new home on R3: "Thank you".
        “The sneaker market as a whole is in flux,” said Jake Bell, a New York marketing consultant. “Consumers are looking to brands doing new, interesting things.”
        bong ching

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post

“The sneaker market as a whole is in flux,” said Jake Bell, a New York marketing consultant. “Consumers are looking to brands doing new, interesting things.”
          I dread to think what new interesting things you could do with a pair of sneakers!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

I dread to think what new interesting things you could do with a pair of sneakers!

....Yes P', but never on a Sunday....never on a Sunday
            bong ching

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
              • Apr 2014

Thanks for the upgrade ! Good to see others enjoyed it . Clive’s skills as an interviewer are remarkable. Yes his serious journalist mode is to be preferred to the “enthusiasm “ he seems to turn on for the TV proms. But I guess the subject was fairly sombre. It’s interesting how many people in these ultra stress situations turn to “high “ culture and not pop. Not necessary as a relaxant as the chill out podcasts promote but perhaps trying to preserve some meaning in the horrors of what surrounds them.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Very true

I didn’t particularly intend to ‘give credit’ with this thread, just to increase the chances of forum users seeing the recommendation and hearing the programme… which is nothing original - just Private Passions by a different name and with a different ‘host’. It’s the accident of ‘who’s on’ that makes it worth hearing (or not). Paul Conroy was exceptional…
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Very true

I didn’t particularly intend to ‘give credit’ with this thread, just to increase the chances of forum users seeing the recommendation and hearing the programme… which is nothing original - just Private Passions by a different name and with a different ‘host’. It’s the accident of ‘who’s on’ that makes it worth hearing (or not). Paul Conroy was exceptional…
                  Point taken, and with two reviews, clearly worth a listen!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

A rather good Tom Service interview with Paavo Jaervi yesterday, Mr J being the ideal TS interviewee, ie clear opinions fully explained with little opportunity for interruption.

Comment

Working...
                    X