Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smittims
    • Aug 2022

I read the RT for many years but gave up a few years ago when I realised that only the Radio3 and 4 pages were of any interest to me,and I was just by-passing the first 50 pages which always seemed to be going on and on about 'strickly', 'Downton Abbey' and other things I never wanted to watch. The price is ridiculous; when I began reading it ithe 1950s it was sixpence!

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
      I read the RT for many years but gave up a few years ago when I realised that only the Radio3 and 4 pages were of any interest to me,and I was just by-passing the first 50 pages which always seemed to be going on and on about 'strickly', 'Downton Abbey' and other things I never wanted to watch. The price is ridiculous; when I began reading it ithe 1950s it was sixpence!
      And it became even better value in our house as it was torn into quarters and spiked on a nail for use in the outside loo.
      Heaven knows how the sewers coped, but it was a mighty flush out there (except if the pipes froze in winter; oh, that haunting smell of the little paraffin heater burning through the night!).

Comment

• Old Grumpy
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

And it became even better value in our house as it was torn into quarters and spiked on a nail for use in the outside loo.
        Heaven knows how the sewers coped, but it was a mighty flush out there (except if the pipes froze in winter; oh, that haunting smell of the little paraffin heater burning through the night!).
        Probably printed on less glossy paper in those days!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

....yes, how useful news print in huge quantities was. Morning plus evening papers - wrapping ashes, fish heads, veg peelings, what ever ....so as to try to keep the metal bins relatively clean....and the flies out....
          bong ching

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Probably printed on less glossy paper in those days!
            It certainly was.
            My partner says that The Friend (a Quaker publication) met a similar end for many!

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
              ....yes, how useful news print in huge quantities was. Morning plus evening papers - wrapping ashes, fish heads, veg peelings, what ever ....so as to try to keep the metal bins relatively clean....and the flies out....
              We pick up a free copy of Metro on the bus to use for such purposes (and to soak up some moisture in the compost bin).

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                It is funny how concert programmes can squash your appetite by programming certain composers together. I find that the Bournemouth SO gigs manage to come up with a mix match of work where it seems like a hard listen. The are composers like Brahms, Dvorak Tchaikovsky and Mozart would make me wish for a gig by Nike Rodgers. Too much German and 19th century Russian work is a real downer for me. Late 19th music is often over wrought and I would find a concert tedious too. Brahms is the worst name of a concert programme for me.

I prefer it when concert halls put on more varied programmes. Better to hear more unfamiliar stuff but I think that classical music is a broad church which means most gigs probably contain something not to our taste. I went to a recent recital which featured Webern in a mix of Bach, Beethoven and Symanowski The Webern merely made LVB sound even better but the Bach and Symanowski pieces were far better than the former. Symanowski is someone who should feature more. That should please Mr Smith
                When the Symphony Hall was built in late nineteenth century Boston, the current practice was to have an axe mounted on a wall in a glass case in case of fire. Someone placed a placard that said “Break in case of Brahms”

Comment

Working...
                X