X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

…and while we’re at it let’s abandon the RAH and move the whole Proms to a field in Somerest where everyone can dance bare!
    Perhaps Simon Smith will attend with his dancing bare (ref #3)

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

....my goodness there would be some grizzly sights....
      bong ching

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
        That's the bear truth.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
          My interpretation is the polar opposite...

Comment

• burning dog
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Assuming, that is, that the re-nationalisation programme remains on track and isn't derailed.
            Or hits the buffers

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by burning dog View Post

Or hits the buffers
              ... shunted into a siding

Comment

• LMcD
                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Perhaps Simon Smith will attend with his dancing bare (ref #3)
                That might lead some people to consider him a randy new man.

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                  • Dec 2010

It is funny how concert programmes can squash your appetite by programming certain composers together. I find that the Bournemouth SO gigs manage to come up with a mix match of work where it seems like a hard listen. The are composers like Brahms, Dvorak Tchaikovsky and Mozart would make me wish for a gig by Nike Rodgers. Too much German and 19th century Russian work is a real downer for me. Late 19th music is often over wrought and I would find a concert tedious too. Brahms is the worst name of a concert programme for me.

I prefer it when concert halls put on more varied programmes. Better to hear more unfamiliar stuff but I think that classical music is a broad church which means most gigs probably contain something not to our taste. I went to a recent recital which featured Webern in a mix of Bach, Beethoven and Symanowski The Webern merely made LVB sound even better but the Bach and Symanowski pieces were far better than the former. Symanowski is someone who should feature more. That should please Mr Smith

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... shunted into a siding

Sidelined.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
                      It is funny how concert programmes can squash your appetite by programming certain composers together. I find that the Bournemouth SO gigs manage to come up with a mix match of work where it seems like a hard listen. The are composers like Brahms, Dvorak Tchaikovsky and Mozart would make me wish for a gig by Nike Rodgers. Too much German and 19th century Russian work is a real downer for me. Late 19th music is often over wrought and I would find a concert tedious too. Brahms is the worst name of a concert programme for me.

I prefer it when concert halls put on more varied programmes. Better to hear more unfamiliar stuff but I think that classical music is a broad church which means most gigs probably contain something not to our taste. I went to a recent recital which featured Webern in a mix of Bach, Beethoven and Symanowski The Webern merely made LVB sound even better but the Bach and Symanowski pieces were far better than the former. Symanowski is someone who should feature more. That should please Mr Smith
                      For me a main problem of many concert programmes is incompatible stylistic juxtapositionings. I can like certain composers very much, but not together: f'rinstance Schoenberg and Satie on one concert would be too much for me, like placing pink and orange next to each other, or having salt in one's tea. But evidently a lot of people are quite happy with this, otherwise why would recordings be issued of blatantly opposite kinds of music?

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....or the compilers/ designers/assemblers are happy....
                        bong ching

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

That might lead some people to consider him a randy new man.
                          Which might come at A Price Set in court.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

For me a main problem of many concert programmes is incompatible stylistic juxtapositionings. I can like certain composers very much, but not together: f'rinstance Schoenberg and Satie on one concert would be too much for me, like placing pink and orange next to each other, or having salt in one's tea. But evidently a lot of people are quite happy with this, otherwise why would recordings be issued of blatantly opposite kinds of music?
                            It's very much a subjective matter though isn't it? I don't have an inherent dislike of pink and orange together, and some cultures add salt to their tea. In terms of music what one person finds makes for an uncomfortable pairing might for another bring a fresh - and worthwhile - hearing experience. The latter could well be behind what you find undesirable concert/recording pairings. That doesn't necessarily matter for recordings since you are in control of how you listen, but I can see that it might make for difficulties in a live concert. Mind you it's not so different from a piece that one really doesn't want to hear(juxtaposed or otherwise) in a programme of otherwise appealing items - weighing up the balance of good versus not good listening experience.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

It's very much a subjective matter though isn't it? I don't have an inherent dislike of pink and orange together, and some cultures add salt to their tea. In terms of music what one person finds makes for an uncomfortable pairing might for another bring a fresh - and worthwhile - hearing experience. The latter could well be behind what you find undesirable concert/recording pairings. That doesn't necessarily matter for recordings since you are in control of how you listen, but I can see that it might make for difficulties in a live concert. Mind you it's not so different from a piece that one really doesn't want to hear(juxtaposed or otherwise) in a programme of otherwise appealing items - weighing up the balance of good versus not good listening experience.
                              Fair comments. Just as well we're not married!

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

I don't know if the Radio Times get their information from the BBC but I was amused to see both Schoenberg's Pelleas und Melisande and Zemlinsky's SeeJungfrau described as 'tearjerkers'.

Comment

Working...
                                X