• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Radio Times letter…

Here’s a letter in the new Radio Times…

’Im really pleased to see that there are plenty of BBC Proms celebrating disco, jazz, folk and pop music. It is high time that the Proms moved away from evening after evening of long, tedious symphonies by composers such as Mahler, Bruckner and Brahms.

Hopefully, the “intellectual” classical music content of the Proms will continue to diminish year on year so that more people can actually enjoy them.’

Simon Smith.

Discuss…
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

My own feeling is that of what my father taught me. ‘Don’t argue with an idiot. They have much more experience…’

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

’Im really pleased to see that there are plenty of BBC Proms celebrating disco, jazz, folk and pop music. It is high time that the Proms moved away from evening after evening of long, tedious symphonies by composers such as Mahler, Bruckner and Brahms.

Hopefully, the “intellectual” classical music content of the Proms will continue to diminish year on year so that more people can actually enjoy them.’

Simon Smith.

Discuss…
      Would that by any chance be a tongue-in-cheek communication from the Simon Smith who had an Amazing Dancing Bear?

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Would that by any chance be a tongue-in-cheek communication from the Simon Smith who had an Amazing Dancing Bear?

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

Simon Smith.

Discuss…
          So they published my letter . Great !

I think “Simon” is taking the proverbial …

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

So they published my letter . Great !

I think “Simon” is taking the proverbial …
            I'm wondering if it was a response to another letter in last week's RT expressing disappointment at Sean Rafferty's forthcoming departure, in which a certain Rowan Ash (???) of Harrow wrote, "I write not as a die-hard classical music lover, because I'm constantly learning about it, but Sean enables me to listen to a greater range of music and he puts it in context. He's the very type of broadcaster needed to widen the appeal of Radio 3" (My emphasis).

Comment

• smittims
              • Aug 2022

I did wonder if it was meant to be facetious (i.e. a satire of the dumbing down) but sadly all too many people will take it at face value and agree. It's like the privatisation of the public utilities, which so many fell for. They just don't realise what's being taken away from them , never to be returned.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Anyone off whose tongue the names of Mahler, Bruckner and Brahms roll lightly possibly gains more pleasure listening to 'long tedious symphonies' than to disco, jazz, folk and pop music, I venture to suggest.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Where does "Simon Smith" hang out - is he a member of the metropolitan elite...

... or is his address listed as by email, as is often the case in published letters nowadays?

Edit: as others above - I read this letter as TFIC.
                  Last edited by Old Grumpy; 17-07-24, 12:11. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                    Host
                    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                    Edit: as others above - I read this letter as TFIC.
                    Agreed. (But I had to look up Tongue Firmly in Cheek )

Comment

• Maclintick
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                      Agreed. (But I had to look up Tongue Firmly in Cheek )
                      GPT gave:
                      TFIC: Taiwanese Friction Institute and Cooperation

Comment

• mikealdren
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                        I did wonder if it was meant to be facetious (i.e. a satire of the dumbing down) but sadly all too many people will take it at face value and agree. It's like the privatisation of the public utilities, which so many fell for. They just don't realise what's being taken away from them , never to be returned.
                        Well we'll soon see what this really means as the railways are re-nationalised. Personally I don't hold out much hope. What it really needs is politicians with the vision to legislate how things should be run.

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post

Well we'll soon see what this really means as the railways are re-nationalised. Personally I don't hold out much hope. What it really needs is politicians with the vision to legislate how things should be run.
                          Assuming, that is, that the re-nationalisation programme remains on track and isn't derailed.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Simon Smith.

Discuss…
                            …and while we’re at it let’s abandon the RAH and move the whole Proms to a field in Somerest where everyone can dance bare!

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

…and while we’re at it let’s abandon the RAH and move the whole Proms to a field in Somerest where everyone can dance bare!
                              East Anglia has a number of former USAF airfields any one of which would make a suitable venue should the RAH be abandoned or become unavailable for any reason..

Comment

Working...
                              X