X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisBennell
    • Sep 2014

Classical Black Musicians of the 18th Century - R4

By accident I caught a fascinating programme on R4 at 1.30 today where the double-bass player Chi-chi Nwanoku presented the results of some research into Classical Black Musicians of the 18th Century - including Chevalier de Saint-Georges and virtuoso violinist George Bridgetower - the connections with Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven were particularly interesting. It showed what the BBC can still do if it sets its mind to it - interesting also that they chose to do it on R4 rather than R3. This was the second of 2 programmes - I must listen to the first.

Today's programme is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05wy63w
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Was it a repeat? I seem to think people had discussed it before.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ChrisBennell
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Was it a repeat? I seem to think people had discussed it before.
      Yes, you're right - I had a quick search round and found it was first broadcast at the end of May - BBC no longer seem to advise listeners with the words "another chance to hear..." or "that programme was first broadcast in ...." Well worth a repeat anyway, particularly as the original was apparently broadcast on a Tuesday morning - maybe as an alternative to Essential Classics!

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

General topics, The Listening Service, Music Matters, concert-going/listening, news
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
        X