X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ian Thumwood View Post
    I think the main problem with that part of the world is that you never appreciate when you have left one city and arrived in another.

I am not sure it is so friendly. I have experienced issues at grounds like Turf Moor and 8 get annoyed with being called. 'Pet' all the time.
    You should be so lucky!

It was far worse being called "My lover" by much older women all the time I lived in Bristol!

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      It was far worse being called "My lover" by much older women all the time I lived in Bristol!
      Or 'me babber'. But if you will go up north and walk around with a whippet on a piece of string and a pigeon on your shoulder people will will take you for a local and call you 'pet'. Just being cordial.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Or 'me babber'. But if you will go up north and walk around with a whippet on a piece of string and a pigeon on your shoulder people will will take you for a local and call you 'pet'. Just being cordial.
        Wot, no ferret?

Comment

• LHC
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Wot, no ferret?
          Is that a ferret down your trousers, or are you just pleased to see me....

Sorry. I'll get my coat.
          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LHC View Post
            Is that a ferret down your trousers, or are you just pleased to see me....

Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

the opinion of one guidebook in 1830:

MANCHESTER.

This place possesses but few attractions for the mere sightseeking tourist; but its vast Population, (viz. 185,000) its wealth and extensive manufactories, impart to it a degree of commercial and national importance, which more than compensate, in the estimation of speculative minds, for the absence of those "gauds and shows," which its localities and habitudes greatly preclude.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                the opinion of one guidebook in 1830:

MANCHESTER.

This place possesses but few attractions ...
                ... and further -

"This place possesses but few attractions for the mere sightseeking tourist; but its vast Population, (viz. 185,000) its wealth and extensive manufactories, impart to it a degree of commercial and national importance, which more than compensate, in the estimation of speculative minds, for the absence of those "gauds and shows," which its localities and habitudes greatly preclude. The principal Public Buildings and Institutions are as follows:— The Collegiate and ten other Churches under the establishment, 3 Catholic Chapels 20 spacious and elegant Dissenting Places of Worship, Friends' Meeting House, Infirmary, Grammar School, Museum,. Town Hall, Exchange, Theatre Royal, Amphitheatre, Minor Theatre, Assembly and Concert Rooms, Horse and Foot Barracks. Natural History Society, Blue Coat Hospital, Dispensary and Lunatic Asylum, Fever and Lock Hospitals, Female Penitentiary, Infant Schools, Royal Institution, Agricultural and Horticultural Society, Mechanics Institute, Reservoirs, Market Places and New Shambles, Gas Works, an elegant Crescent delightfully situated, 12 Bridges, Ancoats Hall : Cotton, Frizes, Stuffs, Caps Fustians, Sackcloth, mingled Stuffs Inkles, Tapes, and Point Manufactories ; Public Libraries, News Rooms, Race Course, &c. The Principal Inns are the Mosley Arms, the Albion, the Star, York Hotel, and Royal Hotel."

Howard's Vade Mecum or Tourists Companion from Manchester (by the Railway) to Liverpool, and thence through The Isle of Man. [1830?]

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  "This place possesses but few attractions for the mere sightseeking tourist ...
                  Which puts the mere sightseeking tourist in his place ("Gauds and shows")!
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• muzzer
                    • Nov 2013

I will miss PT from Breakfast. I was sceptical at first but I’ve come to find him reassuring and a welcome mild presence of a morning. TM is basically fine technically but sounds about 12 years old and I can’t stand northern accents, sorry Auntie. In Tune gets right up my hooter. And don’t get me started on Salford. Manchester, so much to answer for.

Comment

• Quarky
                      • Dec 2010

Breakfast. PT used to hold my attention, at least until the 8 a.m. break. However recently there has been too many "popular" pieces, replacing lesser known, often British, pieces.
                      I listened briefly this morning, and heard a sublime performance of Beethoven Piano Trio 97 'Archduke' (2nd mvt). That was enough for me, just a taste. of great music, which will last until mid-morning.
                      Obviously, it didn't matter whether PT or TK presented. Equally obviously, these presenter changes are just a manoeuvre to concentrate matters in Manchester.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                        I will miss PT from Breakfast. I was sceptical at first but I’ve come to find him reassuring and a welcome mild presence of a morning. TM is basically fine technically but sounds about 12 years old and I can’t stand northern accents, sorry Auntie. In Tune gets right up my hooter. And don’t get me started on Salford. Manchester, so much to answer for.
                        Ey up Muzzer, how’re tha doin’. Prefer ‘ow they talk in Landon then?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

....It was far worse being called "My lover" by much older women all the time I lived in Bristol!
                          My niece went to Plymouth University in the early 1980s when it was common, she said, to be addressed in shops as 'my bird'.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Switching on a bit early to listen to 'Round Midnight last night, I caught the last minutes of Night Tracks, only to hear Sarah Mohr-Pietsche interrupt the final ,deliberately faded moments of Holst's Venus - can you believe it? - followed by some awful sentimental song, probably from 1950s charts, you could almost hear the corset squeak. In future I will take great care to wait until my programme is due to begin.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Switching on a bit early to listen to 'Round Midnight last night, I caught the last minutes of Night Tracks, only to hear Sarah Mohr-Pietsche interrupt the final ,deliberately faded moments of Holst's Venus - can you believe it? - followed by some awful sentimental song, probably from 1950s charts, you could almost hear the corset squeak. In future I will take great care to wait until my programme is due to begin.
                              According to the listing it was Julie Andrews singing "Feed the birds". I suppose letting the Holst run its course would have led to one of those lovely, but now banned, R3 silences, which listeners apparently can't cope with - they might take fright and change station...

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

According to the listing it was Julie Andrews singing "Feed the birds". I suppose letting the Holst run its course would have led to one of those lovely, but now banned, R3 silences, which listeners apparently can't cope with - they might take fright and change station...
                                Or they could have faded "Feed the Birds" instead? :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X