Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Why?

Comment

• Dance Band Spiv
      • May 2024

I realise that Tom M has his supporters, but let me quote a couple of examples from his stints on Essential Classics earlier this year:

in February, he began the week by insisting on telling us how he thought he'd left his gloves behind on the train and dashed back into the carriage to search for them, only to discover they were in his back pocket all the time; the following day was Shrove Tuesday, so naturally we were regaled with stories of how his daughters were pestering him to make pancakes. The next time he hosted the programme, on Monday he had to share the information that what appeared to be a film crew and trucks were setting up near the back of his house; we were rewarded with daily updates until later in the week, on returning home they had packed up and left, without his ever discovering what production was being filmed ... riveting stuff, indeed!

No doubt his apologists will say this is what the producers require of him, but for me, he embraces this kind of over-sharing a little too enthusiastically.

And then there are the constant references to the show coming 'Live from Media City in Salford Quays'. Are we meant to surmise that the microphones and cabling in Salford are superior to London? because otherwise, I fail to see how our listening experience is improved by the location of the broadcast studio; or does management believe this is another way to encourage new listeners? "I don't normally listen to Radio 3, but this week 'Breakfast' is coming from Salford, so it's bound to be good!!"

I'm afraid these changes will mean I stop listening to 'Breakfast' entirely in the new year (I already avoid the weekend offerings).

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Dance Band Spiv View Post
        I realise that Tom M has his supporters, but let me quote a couple of examples from his stints on Essential Classics earlier this year:

in February, he began the week by insisting on telling us how he thought he'd left his gloves behind on the train and dashed back into the carriage to search for them, only to discover they were in his back pocket all the time; the following day was Shrove Tuesday, so naturally we were regaled with stories of how his daughters were pestering him to make pancakes. The next time he hosted the programme, on Monday he had to share the information that what appeared to be a film crew and trucks were setting up near the back of his house; we were rewarded with daily updates until later in the week, on returning home they had packed up and left, without his ever discovering what production was being filmed ... riveting stuff, indeed!

No doubt his apologists will say this is what the producers require of him, but for me, he embraces this kind of over-sharing a little too enthusiastically.

And then there are the constant references to the show coming 'Live from Media City in Salford Quays'. Are we meant to surmise that the microphones and cabling in Salford are superior to London? because otherwise, I fail to see how our listening experience is improved by the location of the broadcast studio; or does management believe this is another way to encourage new listeners? "I don't normally listen to Radio 3, but this week 'Breakfast' is coming from Salford, so it's bound to be good!!"

I'm afraid these changes will mean I stop listening to 'Breakfast' entirely in the new year (I already avoid the weekend offerings).
        I have no problem with the inclusion of a few minutes devoted to 'news from the home front', which, together with the brief news summaries, account for a very small proportion of a 3-hour programme. It's possible that the former enable the presenter and producer to adjust the playlist as listeners contribute to the programme. I'm just grateful that they haven't asked The Other Tom to take over 'Breakfast' during the week.
        Last edited by LMcD; 27-06-24, 13:56.

Comment

• smittims
          • Aug 2022

I've long believed that radio presenters are 'acting' when they speak on their 'shows', i.e. they're not their true selves. They pretend to like music and singers they probably don't care for privately, they pretend they've never heard of a composer in order to put hemselves on the same level as the innocent listener, and so on. I've come to take everything they say at face value and not place any reliance on it.

It was different in the days when announcers (as they were then called ) were told to restrict themselves to facts and not say what might sound like a personal opinion. Now they're encouraged to sound as if they're speaking their mind, though the fact that they always say enthusiastic things ,and are never critical , of what they broadcast, makes me suspect a lack of sincerity.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I have no problem with the inclusion of a few minutes devoted to 'news from the home front', which, together with the brief news summaries, account for a very small proportion of a 3-hour programme. It's possible that the former enable the presenter and producer to adjust the playlist as listeners contribute to the programme. I'm just grateful that they haven't asked The Other Tom to take over 'Breakfast' during the week.
            As long as it's This Tom not That Tom, I'm happy. I like what This Tom says but I can't stand what That Tom says, even if he's saying the same as This Tom says. Because I like This Tom but I can't stand That Tom.

This takes me back to my point on No Association Whatsoever. Presenters Sell Product so bombard them with presenters. They won't like it at first but, believe me, they'll get used to anything when they're given no choice for a year or two. In fact, they'll prefer presenter-led programmes to stuffy music and minimal presenter input.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
              Host
              • Jun 2018

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              Were you thinking of this cheeky young chappie?

Photo from a 2008 Music Matters

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                As long as it's This Tom not That Tom, I'm happy. I like what This Tom says but I can't stand what That Tom says, even if he's saying the same as This Tom says. Because I like This Tom but I can't stand That Tom.

This takes me back to my point on No Association Whatsoever. Presenters Sell Product so bombard them with presenters. They won't like it at first but, believe me, they'll get used to anything when they're given no choice for a year or two. In fact, they'll prefer presenter-led programmes to stuffy music and minimal presenter input.
                They have nothing to Crowe about.

Good point about the presenters, who, ideally, should be near-invisible (inaudible seems wrong).

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                  They have nothing to Crowe about.

Good point about the presenters, who, ideally, should be near-invisible (inaudible seems wrong).
                  I'm possibly a minority voice here (though not completely alone), but when Sam Jackson pooh-poohed the idea that Radio 3 was anything like Classic FM he was looking in the wrong place. He looked at one programme, checked a couple of 'tracks' and declared you'd never hear those on Classic FM. A lazy, disingenuous argument.

What makes Radio 3 like Classic FM is the hour after hour of presenter-led/hosted 'shows' that litter Radio 3's schedule. Intellectually bankrupt, not rescued by having amiable presenters.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post

It was different in the days when announcers (as they were then called ) were told to restrict themselves to facts and not say what might sound like a personal opinion.
                    W.....ell - I would cite the following remark from an announcer/presenter back in the late 60s introducing Hanns Eisler's "Prayer for Peace": "Eisler was a pupil of Schoenberg, but this is not a twelve-tone work... and thank God for that, I can hear a lot of you thinking".

Comment

• mopsus
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

W.....ell - I would cite the following remark from an announcer/presenter back in the late 60s introducing Hanns Eisler's "Prayer for Peace": "Eisler was a pupil of Schoenberg, but this is not a twelve-tone work... and thank God for that, I can hear a lot of you thinking".
                      Quite a daring thing to say in the Glock era!

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Dance Band Spiv View Post

No on the microphone and cable front but its cheaper on the rent / lease and salary front ; and you get lots of Brownie points from a Labour government for doing it - especially from the then Salford MP Hazel Blears - a former Sec Of State who had to resign over the expenses scandal . And that’s how politics works folks,

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                          Were you thinking of this cheeky young chappie?

Photo from a 2008 Music Matters
                          The epitome of public service broadcasting.
                          I think young McKinney's approach is the right one for a breakfast programme - the only difference is that we will get the lowdown on what's occurring in Salford instead of Cornwall.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            I've long believed that radio presenters are 'acting' when they speak on their 'shows', i.e. they're not their true selves. They pretend to like music and singers they probably don't care for privately, they pretend they've never heard of a composer in order to put hemselves on the same level as the innocent listener, and so on. I've come to take everything they say at face value and not place any reliance on it.

It was different in the days when announcers (as they were then called ) were told to restrict themselves to facts and not say what might sound like a personal opinion. Now they're encouraged to sound as if they're speaking their mind, though the fact that they always say enthusiastic things ,and are never critical , of what they broadcast, makes me suspect a lack of sincerity.
                            Presenters insincere …I won’t have that. Seriously of course it’s fake . You’re sitting in an over heated or freezing near anechoic room staring at a piece of yellow foam on which some wag has helpfully felt tipped a smiley face, vaguely conscious of the people the other side of the glass laughing at a joke you can’t hear or maybe even at you; drinking lukewarm coffee out of a styrofoam cup and listening to beautiful music interrupted by terse instructions on uncomfortable headphones . And you have to fake warmth happiness and sincerity . And yet people queue up to to do the job ..they must be mad,

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

I agree with the second half of OOO's statement. But I think Hannah French has come out tops for me recently - well-judged scripts, a great microphone technique, perfectly timed pauses after items and occasional shafts of humour. (I also find her Yorkshire accent easier on the ear than the Manchester sound.)
                              Stoke?

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Stoke?
                                Indeed! Perhaps he'll tell us about the time he went to pottery classes at the local community centre.

Comment

Working...
                                X