Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Sad to see this. He was quite a mean table tennis player too!

That Berlioz cover doesn't look too bad!

JL RIP

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

My radar missed the announcement of James Loughran’s demise. As an attendee of the Halle concerts in the 60s and early 70s at Sheffield City Hall’ I retain a great affection for him and his conducting skills and have many of his recordings - I still hope for the issue of his ASV recordings on CD but maybe they never will appear now - eg Schubert 9 and Beethoven Symphonies! His Proms appearances were always interesting including his ‘Last Nights’ but also his Viennese 2nd halves, I remember on one occasion an encore was the ‘Van der Waalk’ theme, to which the Halle did full justice. I remember one of the visiting Orchestras to Sheffield was the Munich PO which JL deputised for an indisposed Rudolf Kempe - disappointed by not having RK there JL produced a stunning performance of Brahms Sym 1! Prior to his Halle appointment he conducted many a good concert on R3 with the BBCSSO.
      Maybe in the last 40 years he did not get the respect he deserved in the UK and certainly we are the poorer for not having as many recordings from him as we should.
      RIP James

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Maybe in the last 40 years he did not get the respect he deserved in the UK and certainly we are the poorer for not having as many recordings from him as we should.
        RIP James
        That's a very fair comment – and as far as I know, he did relatively little guest conducting in the UK after leaving the Hallé. Not quite sure why – but I have many similar memories to yours of JL in Manchester. As I said in an earlier post, the results were very variable, but at his best he could be outstanding, particularly in Brahms. I also remember a very fine Rachmaninov Second Symphony in September 1974 at the Free Trade Hall during my first week as an undergraduate at Manchester. The same concert was also the only time I heard Victoria de Los Angeles live, sadly past her best, but it was nice to have seen her (and to hear the gorgeous Montsalvatge songs, among others).

Comment

• akiralx
          • Oct 2011

I believe he felt his taking over the Halle was eased by his never having met Sir JB.

His older son Angus is of course the celebrated 'Statto' from 'Fantasy Football League'.
          Last edited by akiralx; 04-07-24, 01:50. Reason: Addition

Comment

Working...
          X