Britten's Curlew River from Blythburgh (Aldeburgh Festival)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Britten's Curlew River from Blythburgh (Aldeburgh Festival)

This looks like it's something that will be well worth watching when it gets transmitted on TV.

Our critic emerged into the twilight feeling at once shocked, purged and uplifted by the tenor’s stunning performance at Blythburgh Church in Suffolk
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    This looks like it's something that will be well worth watching when it gets transmitted on TV.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/eed...a55a785da9b975
    Thanks Pulcinella, we'll look forward to that...Babs' favourite Britten! We attended a late night Prom many years ago for a Curlew...I'm struggling to remember who the tenor was......ah, that's it, Mark Curtis.

When we go to Aldeburgh we always do a trip to Orford, to the church where the first Curlew was recorded, and a walk out through the reed beds....and ditto Blythburgh church.

Comment

• rauschwerk
      • Nov 2010

I was there and completely agree with the Times critic. Ian Bostridge's assumption of this role was complete, and he was wonderfully supported by the rest of the cast and the musicians.

Comment

• LMcD
        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
        I was there and completely agree with the Times critic. Ian Bostridge's assumption of this role was complete, and he was wonderfully supported by the rest of the cast and the musicians.
        There's a 1998 performance from Aix-en-Provence on YouTube, but I shall certainly keep an eye out for the broadcast of what was clearly a memorable occasion at Blythburgh.

Comment

• oliver sudden
          • Feb 2024

Speaking of YouTube and Orford and church parables (although not Curlew River), this splendid documentary is up again (it comes and it goes, or so the chaps tell me…)

Comment

• Roger Webb
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
            Speaking of YouTube and Orford and church parables (although not Curlew River), this splendid documentary is up again (it comes and it goes, or so the chaps tell me…)

https://youtu.be/nj_j-ZY7QCU?feature=shared
            The last time I watched this was in Mrs Hudson's (Pears and Britten's housekeeper) cottage 'Cozy Nook' in the grounds of the Red House in Aldeburgh!

Comment

• Mandryka
              • Feb 2021

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Thanks Pulcinella, we'll look forward to that...Babs' favourite Britten! We attended a late night Prom many years ago for a Curlew...I'm struggling to remember who the tenor was......ah, that's it, Mark Curtis.

When we go to Aldeburgh we always do a trip to Orford, to the church where the first Curlew was recorded, and a walk out through the reed beds....and ditto Blythburgh church.
              I was at that prom. I really like the opera.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                • Jan 2014

When were The Burning Fiery Furnace and The Prodigal Son last performed? Britten's recordings of these are now download only (unless in some mega-box) and I am not aware of any more recent ones on either CD or DVD.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
                  When were The Burning Fiery Furnace and The Prodigal Son last performed? Britten's recordings of these are now download only (unless in some mega-box) and I am not aware of any more recent ones on either CD or DVD.
                  One CD of The Burning Fiery Furnace available for only a few pounds from Music Magpie.
                  Amazon lists 5 Prodigal Sons - much more expensive!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

One CD of The Burning Fiery Furnace available for only a few pounds from Music Magpie.
                    Amazon lists 5 Prodigal Sons - much more expensive!
                    Including the Birmingham Touring Opera version, which was a BBC MM cover CD: over £100 new!

Comment

• Roger Webb
                      • Feb 2024

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post

A bit pricey the new copy....for a giveaway CD!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                        Yes: that second listing is even more expensive new!
                        Not too bad s/h price though, but more likely cheaper still in a charity shop, though it's by no means a recent issue, so probably not often seen if at all.

My copy is signed by one of the singers (Quentin Hayes): I wonder if that would bump the price up even more (though it's not new).

Comment

• silvestrione
                          • Jan 2011

It IS going to be on TV is it? Or R3?

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                            It IS going to be on TV is it? Or R3?
                            The BBC press release dated 26th February 2024 mentions 'a new TV film of Curlew River' - broadcast date yet to be confirmed.

Comment

Working...
                            X