X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lordgeous
    • Dec 2012

Tosca's Kiss

Anybody watch this recently? I remember it's first showing in the 1980s. Touching, moving, sometimes sad, sometimes humourous. Good old generous Verdi!
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Not being at all familiar with this (and unable, alas, to see it):

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Can't even watch here

Documentary about Casa Verdi, a rambling mansion in the city of Milan that once belonged to the composer Guiseppe Verdi but is now a home for retired musicians.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
        Anybody watch this recently? I remember it's first showing in the 1980s. Touching, moving, sometimes sad, sometimes humourous. Good old generous Verdi!
        I came across it, channel hopping, but not too aware of its context. Yes, all the above. I imagine as a performer, life in retirement can easily include re-living the intensity of performance on stage. Worth watching, with understanding.
        (And I can see it in iPlayer - "available for over a year" it says ).

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Sara Scuderi - at 78, what an amazing voice, hardly any vibrato. - just watched it on iPlayer.
          My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Lordgeous
            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
            Sara Scuderi - at 78, what an amazing voice, hardly any vibrato. - just watched it on iPlayer.
            Yes, that's what stood out for me too.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Watched it last night: very enjoyable. I was amazed that some of the costumes worn seemed to be in a private collection and not belong to the production/opera house. I hope they're now preserved somewhere.

Comment

• Roger Webb
                • Feb 2024

I remember this from original showing, thanks for pointing out it's on iPlayer, all lined up for this evening.....Pollo alla Puttanesca and a bottle of Primitivo should suit!

Comment

Working...
                X