• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

I really like Anna’s Sea Interludes - I think they adapt to Organ very well.

I really hate the term reimagining, along with the way curating is used these days it seems to me the English language is being sadly abused.
    Fair comments, both!
    I just wish she'd stick to Bach, Buxtehude,...., rather than 'reimagining' Britten, however good and evocative the adaptation is. Britten (and that work in particular) gets enough exposure; when did anyone last hear a piece by Tournemire?

PS: Link added to a recording of a piece from his L'orgue mystique cycle:

Organ Music from the Two Cathedrals in Liverpool. Priory: PRCD931. Buy CD or download online. Noel Rawsthorne (organ), Flor Peeters (organ), Jeanne Demessieux (organ)
    Last edited by Pulcinella; 14-06-24, 10:48. Reason: PS added.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

when did anyone last hear a piece by Tournemire?
      Ouch - now you've got me. Probably around 50+ years ago I think Malcolm Willlamson may have played one on the RFH organ one Sunday afternoon.

Quite memorable for a few reasons - though I can't swear that Tournemire was on the menu.

Comment

• LHC
        • Jan 2011

Another completion that has become established (sort of) is Franco Alfano's completion of Puccini's Turandot. I say 'sort of' because Alfano's first attempt was rejected by the publishers, Ricordi, who had commissioned the completion, and Alfano was required to produce a second shorter version that followed Puccini's sketches more closely.

Toscanini, who conducted the premier, cut a further three minutes from Alfano's second attempt and it is this shortened version which is generally performed now.

There have been a few attempts to perform Alfano's first and longer completion, most notably, Pappano's recent complete CD recording, but it the Toscanini version which still holds sway in most opera houses.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

I really like Anna’s Sea Interludes - I think they adapt to Organ very well.

I really hate the term reimagining, along with the way curating is used these days it seems to me the English language is being sadly abused.
          Didn't they tell you that we're all 'transitioning' to a new world?

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

There is a long tradition of 'organ'-ising orchestral works, but I take the point about the many fine neglected original organ works. For insace, This week's 'Choral Evensong ' having come from York Minster, it reminded me that many years a ago I heard Edward Bairstow's organ sonata on Radio 3. . And it can be argued that now we have so many recordings and so many ways to hear them there's no excuse for arrangements.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I clearly have a very different view from many who are clearly suspicious of completions/elaborations. Handel, arr. Mozart/Goossens, etc: Messiah - a magnificent rewriting. It doesn't replace the original, but it's superb in its own way. Mozart: Requiem. Sussmayer did a reasonable job, but others have been better. Schubert 8 with completed 3rd movement and Rosamunde Entr'acte as a finale - this works, and the fact that Schubert began the scherzo is indicative that he wanted to go beyond the two completed movements. It's been said elsewhere that had Beethoven abandoned his 7th symphony after the 2nd movement, many would say it was complete already. Respighi: The Birds. Not authentic, but tasteful. Bruckner 9: I can't comment, because I've yet to hear any of the completions, but I'm not a Bruckner fan. Elgar 3: I think this is magnificent, and was there at the premiere. And the often repeated claim, that the composer would have written a better symphony had he lived a little longer, is doubtful. The sketches that survived were mostly old ones, some of which had been worked into other compositions, notably the King Arthur music. The composer's late music was but a shadow of the works of two decades earlier. Anthony Payne's elaboration is probably a finer work than what Elgar would have produced in the 1930s. AP's use of the sketches to produce such an intensely beautiful slow movement was masterful indeed.

Comment

• smittims
                • Aug 2022

That's an interesting view which I hadn't heard before. I see what you mean about re-using old sketches, but I think the authentic fragements of the Third do show that it wouldn't have been another 'Severn Suite' . Friends who saw the sketches of the second symphony said they couldn't imagine how he could make a complete symphony out of them. But it was his way to ponder manhy sketches over a long time and then suddently one day begin to write out the finished work in a few weeks . I don't think that would have happened with The Spanish Lady , and I think in his heart of hearts , he knew it, but the Third Symphony I'm sure would have been finished convincingly in a further six months.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  The Elgar family authorized Anthony Payne to produce a 'Third Symphony' in the hope of fending off something of which they might not approve. To his credit, I don't think Payne ever described it as such and discouraged others from doing so.
                  A bit of a Payne in the asking, then!

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Didn't they tell you that we're all 'transitioning' to a new world?
                    Is it an age thing?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Is it an age thing?
                      No that's called death.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

No that's called death.
                        So ... the rumours are true! My hopes have been 'decimated' (in the currently popular meaning of the word)..

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

So ... the rumours are true! My hopes have been 'decimated' (in the currently popular meaning of the word)..

Comment

• Retune
                            • Feb 2022

I was going to ask if anyone remembers Barry Cooper's 'Beethoven's 10th', but it seems someone must, because they've now used AI to nail two additional movements on the end (which sound as unlike Beethoven as you might expect, despite the obvious borrowings).

Comment

Working...
                            X