X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Mozart. Sinfonia Concertante. K.364. Haydn. Violin Concertos in G & C.

Rachel Podger, violin & Pavlo Beznosiuk, viola. Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment.

Surprised to see the Mozart gets rather a lukewarm review in the 2009 Gramophone.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
      Host
      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
      Oh come now, don't be a wimp!

Just sampled some parts via the Naxos Music Library (courtesy of our library).
      Some of the sounds / harmonics are very unsettling, particularly near the start of the Sanctus & Agnus Dei.
      Sorry, not for me. I live run away another day.

Comment

• Mandryka
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by frankbridge View Post
        OK, it is late at night, but I'll go for the full force on this one, and chance the consequences:

Harrison Birtwistle

Punch and Judy

Bryn-Julson / DeGaetani / Langridge / Roberts / Wilson Johnson / Tomlinson

London Sinfonietta

David Atherton

Etcetra KTC 2014

The words "stellar" are nothing at all for the soloists but they are too. It is quite difficult to understand, but it is true. And I've got it

There's a song where Punch seems to laugh in an evil way and uses words like "nicey" - I used to love. I last heard it maybe 30 years ago though.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Beethoven, Appasionata Sonata, Brendel mid 70s

Comment

• smittims
            • Aug 2022

Beethoven for me too, the second symphony in a really cracking performance by the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Otto Klemperer at Maida Vale in 1955, courtesy of Richard Itter and ICA .

Until now, Beecham has always been my ideal in this symphony, but Klemperer really makes a case for it as a major work, not just a predecessor of the Eroica. .

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              Beethoven for me too, the second symphony in a really cracking performance by the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Otto Klemperer at Maida Vale in 1955, courtesy of Richard Itter and ICA .

Until now, Beecham has always been my ideal in this symphony, but Klemperer really makes a case for it as a major work, not just a predecessor of the Eroica. .
              I learned the Second from an Everest LP with Krips and the LSO. That performance is still as good as any and I don’t think that it is a matter of imprinting on my part. Meanwhile that cycle, which I bought for $5 on Amazon, and probably spent 99 cents for the lp in the early seventies, acquired the niche of being an audiophile classic and is available in all kinds of gimmicky reissues and remasters

Comment

• Mario
                • Aug 2020

Comparing

S PROKOFIEV

PS No 2 in D min Op 14

Bronfman Y
                Richter S

Someone on this forum once said (unfortunately, I cannot remember who it was) that you should listen to a new work around a dozen times, before you form an opinion. I’m listening to this for the eighth time, and I promise to hear it again.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

Puccini – 'Messa di Gloria'
                  'Messa di Gloria' for tenor, baritone, 4-part chorus & orchestra
                  'Preludio sinfonica',
                  'Crisantemi' (arranged for string orchestra by Lucas Drew)
                  Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunk,
                  Tomislav Mužek (tenor) & George Petean (baritone)
                  Münchner Rundfunkorchester / Ivan Repušić
                  Recorded: Live, 2024 Herz-Jesu-Kirche, Munich (Messa di Gloria) & 2023 Studio 1, Bayerischer Rundfunk, Munich (Preludio sinfonica, Crisantemi)
                  BR Klassik, new CD

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Aigul Akhmetshina – 'Aigul'
                    Arias by Bizet, Massenet, Bellini, Rossini & traditional Bashkir
                    Aigul Akhmetshina (mezzo-soprano)
                    Apollo Voices,
                    Royal Philharmonic Orchestra / Daniele Rustioni
                    Recorded 2023-24, St Jude on-the-Hill, London
                    Decca, CD recent release

Chopin
                    Piano Concerto No. 1 in E minor, Op. 11
                    (arranged by Richard Hofmann for piano & string quartet plus double bass)
                    Dvořák
                    Piano Quintet No. 2 in A major, Op. 81
                    Talich Quartet,
                    with Jean-Marc Luisada (piano) & Benjamin Berlioz (double bass)
                    Recorded 1998 Studio Tibor Varga, Sion, Switzerland
                    RCA Red Seal, CD

Comment

• frankbridge
                      • Sep 2018

Cyril Scott: Violin Sonatas 1 and 3

Howick / Rahman

Naxos 8.572290

This is quite wonderful and very well performed by the two. Sterling work!
                      Last edited by frankbridge; 08-09-24, 21:16.

Comment

• frankbridge
                        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                        Puccini – 'Messa di Gloria'
                        'Messa di Gloria' for tenor, baritone, 4-part chorus & orchestra
                        'Preludio sinfonica',
                        'Crisantemi' (arranged for string orchestra by Lucas Drew)
                        Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunk,
                        Tomislav Mužek (tenor) & George Petean (baritone)
                        Münchner Rundfunkorchester / Ivan Repušić
                        Recorded: Live, 2024 Herz-Jesu-Kirche, Munich (Messa di Gloria) & 2023 Studio 1, Bayerischer Rundfunk, Munich (Preludio sinfonica, Crisantemi)
                        BR Klassik, new CD
                        I was actually at the Last of the Proms in 1986 for the first time when Ray Leppard conducted the Puccini 'Missa di Gloria' in full (those were the days when they had the dare to do full performances in the first part on BBC two, before the second part of jollies over on BBC 1 after the news.

I only got in because I was part of the "BBC Symphony Club" long gone alas, but there were ballots drawn and I was lucky . It seems a lot time ago and it was...
                        Last edited by frankbridge; 07-09-24, 09:32.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Mozart : Requiem, in the version for piano four hands by Carl Czerny; Kerstin Straßburg and Jürgen Appell

loving every moment...

Comment

• smittims
                            • Aug 2022

Ernst Toch: Symphony no.1. The Berlin Radio S.O. Alun Francis.

Toch is unusual in that all his symphonies were written in later lafe after his emigration to the USA. His first symphony is opus 72, possibly the latest 'first' symphony apart from Kodaly's . Toch's style is very original . This is the longest and most lyrical of his symphonies, less formally-correct than Hindemith, less wacky than Otto Klemperer.

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

Bruckner: Symphony no.4 in E flat. The Vienna Symphony Orchestra, Franz Konwitschny. An Ariola-Eurodisc recording dating , I guess, from the late 1950s and issued in Britain by the World Record Club as part of their 'Recorded Music Circle.' Older collectors may recall the generic sleeve with red type on a fake wood-grain background. It's a remarkably good recording for its age. Konwitschny is not well-known outside German-speaking countries, his best-known recording perhaps being a HMV Tannhauser which stayed in the catalogue for many years.

This Bruckner 4 has a personal significance for me. Forty-five years ago I entered a classical music record shop in Kingston, just by the river, called '1812' and the proprietor was playing it, with the sleeve I described on display. I never saw a copy again until last week, when I found this one in a second-hand shop, in virtually mint-condition. I often wonder how such discs came to survive in this way.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                                • Feb 2024

Other acclaimed Konwitschny recordings include his Shostakovich 11 (although not personally my thing) and a very fine Strauss Domestica (which is my thing although the piece normally isn’t).

Here it’s Blandine Verlet’s superb Louis Couperin in an ICE crawling its way across Germany from Berlin (venue for last night’s concert) to Bonn (venue for this afternoon’s). Currently 40 minutes late and that’s in the wide open spaces of the east where the trains normally if anything make up some time. The suspense is mounting!

Comment

Working...
                                X