• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Philippe Jaroussky – 'The Handel Album'
    Arias from Imeneo, Riccardo primo, Siroe, Serse, Radamisto, Flavio,
    Amadigi di Gaula, Tolomeo, Giustino & Ezio
    Ensemble Artaserse / Philippe Jaroussky (countertenor & direction)
    Recorded 2017 Eglise Notre-Dame du Liban, Paris
    Erato, CD

Joseph Haydn 'Five Haydn Piano Trios'
    Piano Trios No's 44, 17, 40, 26 & 39 ‘Gypsy Rondo’
    Guarneri Trio Prague
    Recorded 2021 Studio ArcoDiva, Jaromírova, Prague
    Praga Digitals, CD

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Rodrigo: Concerto en modo galante (his cello concerto). One of the best works I've heard from this very individual composer, who seems to have decided early the idiom of his music and stuck to it. I like his use of heterophony and polytonality.

Malcolm Hayes : Violin Concerto. I still think this is the most beautiful (new) work I've heard since Vaughan Williams.Yes, Tippett's slow movements (in the Triple Concerto and Third Symphony ) are arguably 'greater' music (whatever that means) but I think the Hayes concerto is even more beautiful than they.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
        Host
        • Jun 2018

Just finished Rossini's "L'Italiana in Algeri" which I don't think I've heard before - very lively & enjoyable.
        With Lucia Valentini Terrani as Isabella, Wladimiro Ganzarolli as Mustafa, Enzo Dara as Taddeo and Francisco Araiza as Lindoro; Male Chorus of the Westdeutscher Rundfunk & Capella Coloniensis, conducted by Gabriele Ferro. (I think it's this CD)

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Sabine Devieilhe 'Bach Handel'
          JS Bach
          Sacred Song - Mein Jesu! was für Seelenweh, BWV 487
          Sinfonia to Church Cantata - Wir Müssen Durch Viel Trübsal, BWV 146
          Church Cantata - Mein Herze Schwimmt Im Blut, BWV 199
          Church Cantata - Jauchzet Gott in allen Landen, BWV 51
          Handel
          Section from oratorio Brockes Passion, HWV 48
          Section from opera Giulio Cesare in Egitto, HWV 17
          Section from oratorio - Il Trionfo del Tempo e del Disinganno, HWV 46a
          Sabine Devieilhe (soprano)
          Pygmalion / Raphaël Pichon (direction)
          Recorded 2020, Temple du St-Esprit, Paris, France
          Erato, CD

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Gustav Mahler. Symphony No.3 in d minor.

Jessye Norman, soprano. Wiener Staatsopernchoir, Wiener Sängerknaben and the Wiener Philharmoniker conducted by Claudio Abbado.

DG. 1982

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Various pianists recordings of Kinderszenen courtesy of Spotify. To my surprise Lang Lang particulary in Kind in Einschlummern nearly won the poetry prize, second only to Horowitz.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                Various pianists recordings of Kinderszenen courtesy of Spotify. To my surprise Lang Lang particulary in Kind in Einschlummern nearly won the poetry prize, second only to Horowitz.
                Listening ‘blind’ can produce some surprising results!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

John Phillips Sousa, Marches, Phillip Jones Brass Ensemble. I play this album once a year, every July 4

Comment

• smittims
                    • Aug 2022

The PJBE's Argo discs were virtually unchallenged in their field during the 1970s. I especially enjoyed 'Brass Now and Then', a deliberate pun as side one was 18th century and side 2 twentieth. We often played Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass and Percussion as a demonstration disc in the shop where I pretended to work at the time.

Today's choice, Brahms' second symphony, conducted by Pierre Monteux: his third of his four recordings, each made with a different orchestra, this one the Vienna Philhamonic. He takes the repeat in the first movement , extending it to 20 minutes. Oddly, although he said Brahms was his favourite composer, he never recorded any of the other three symphonies.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                      .....I especially enjoyed 'Brass Now and Then', a deliberate pun as side one was 18th century and side 2 twentieth. We often played Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass and Percussion as a demonstration disc in the shop where I pretended to work at the time..............
                      I’ll try that out, thanks .

When I feel like razor sharp brass ensemble music I get my Chandos CD – Strauss (R.) Music for Symphonic Brass (Locke Brass Consort) for “Festmusik der Stadt Wien”. Have to say, I don’t dwell long on the other items, but I find the Festmusik breathtaking and joyous. I'm not sure how I came across it, years ago.

I haven’t explored much brass ensemble music, so no disrespect to the Philip Jones B E – I seize on pieces like a magpie in certain genres. (Another favourite is the London Horn Sound on Cala – arranged for French Horns – and in particular the Berlioz Roman Carnival Overture).

Comment

• Hitch
                        • Nov 2010

Grieg - Funeral March for Rikard Nordraak, EG 107 (arr. for orchestra by Johan Halvorsen)
                        Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra/Edward Gardner
                        Chandos

Halvorsen did well.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                          The PJBE's Argo discs were virtually unchallenged in their field during the 1970s. I especially enjoyed 'Brass Now and Then', a deliberate pun as side one was 18th century and side 2 twentieth. We often played Gunther Schuller's Symphony for Brass and Percussion as a demonstration disc in the shop where I pretended to work at the time.

Today's choice, Brahms' second symphony, conducted by Pierre Monteux: his third of his four recordings, each made with a different orchestra, this one the Vienna Philhamonic. He takes the repeat in the first movement , extending it to 20 minutes. Oddly, although he said Brahms was his favourite composer, he never recorded any of the other three symphonies.
                          The PJBE lp is a scorcher.
                          I also pretended to work in a record store during college. They offered an employee discount. I was spending more than my earnings so I had to quit.
                          Re Monteux and Brahms there was a live performance of the Third that surfaced a while back, I think with Chicago. I may actually own it somewhere. It was a sonic challenge to listen through

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Leos Janacek

The Excursions of Mr Broucek

Prague National Theatre Orchestra/Jaroslav Kyzlink
                            • Release Date: 5th Jul 2024
                            • Catalogue No: SU43392
                            • Label: Supraphon
                            • Length: 2 hours 10 minutes

Comment

• Ian Thumwood
                              • Dec 2010

I have been listening to Francois Chaplin's Naxos cd of CPE Bach. This had excellent reviews and I have been really impressed. I had no idea that CPE was higher regarded than his father at the time.

This era of classical piano is a mixed bag for me. Something of a fallow period between Bach and Scarlatti on one hand and Chopin on the other. That said, CPE is a fascinating advance on baroque music and more sophisticated than much of what followed in 18th century. This is an excellent record and all the better for being unknown. Haydn and Clementi have an appeal but CPE Bach has really exceeded my expectations.

What is Antonio Soler like ? Next on my list? I think.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                                • Sep 2012

Beethoven PC3, Glen Gould/ Paul Paray, Detroit Symphony Orchestra, live recording
                                listening to I, sounds very straightforward, Gould playing Beethoven cadenza with aplomb

Comment

Working...
                                X