• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Herreweghe released all 9 LvB symphonies on the Pentatone label years back in SACD . Are all 9 included here or just the Ninth?
    Just the 9th, I'm afraid.

I think it's a different performance as well - the Lumieres boxset has Philippe Herreweghe, Collegium Vocale Gent and La Chapelle Royale & Melanie Diener, Petra Lang, Endrik Wottrich & Dietrich Henschel (possibly this CD).
    Your Pentatone set has the first two plus Accademia Chigiana Siena, Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Christiane Oelze, Ingebrog Danz, Christoph Strehl & David Wilson-Johnson.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      I purchased the Brilliant Classics box set of the complete works of J.S. Bach for £20. (Free p&p!) I’m trying to steel myself to listen from beginning to end. Wish me luck!
      I wouldn't start from there, pg; at least, I did not. There are 6 mini boxes to break the volume of works down. I have a box of Cantatas presently at the ready. I bought my complete set in 2001 and I have yet to reach the end. I don't imagine there are many people who could say they have done so. Luckily there seems to be more and more Bach music on R3, so between that, your Brilliants, your private keyboard/instrumental/vocal pieces, CDs. LPs, iPlayer etc, public performances and of course the excellent All of Bach, you should reach the finish line . . eventually. Anyway,
      Go n-eiri leat (may you succeed) good luck.

Comment

• oliver sudden
        • Feb 2024

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... that 30 CD box set such a treasure trove : when I got it back in 2012 I (almost) felt guilty at having acquired all those goodies for just £16

Anyone know where I can see a list of who plays what? I see there are still a few copies circulating at a price that while about double what you paid is still laughable.

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post

Anyone know where I can see a list of who plays what? I see there are still a few copies circulating at a price that while about double what you paid is still laughable.
          There's bit of a breakdown into some of the invidivual boxes here, Oilver, with some information.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=Brilliant%20complete%20bach&si ze=10&view=large

Comment

• oliver sudden
            • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

There's bit of a breakdown into some of the invidivual boxes here, Oilver, with some information.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/search?search_query=Brilliant%20complete%20bach&si ze=10&view=large
            Oh that’s very kind! But I meant the harmonia mundi Enlightenment box referred to a bit further up.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Oh that’s very kind! But I meant the harmonia mundi Enlightenment box referred to a bit further up.

Of course you did! I should have read your message more closely.
              There are slightly more than 30 CDs in the Bach set.
              Last edited by Pulcinella; 28-08-24, 19:49. Reason: Typo corrected.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Ha!

Look at the first review here:

Comment

• oliver sudden
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Ha!

Look at the first review here:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Musique-Lum...ar%2C55&sr=1-1
                  Perfect, thank you!

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Having taken delivery of the Eloquence/Decca set of the recordings of Alfredo Campoli on 21 CDs, I’m now sampling his early recordings with the Welbeck Light String Quartet. Absolutely beautiful playing with a relaxed and gentle style that harks back to a bygone era.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                      Just the 9th, I'm afraid.

I think it's a different performance as well - the Lumieres boxset has Philippe Herreweghe, Collegium Vocale Gent and La Chapelle Royale & Melanie Diener, Petra Lang, Endrik Wottrich & Dietrich Henschel (possibly this CD).
                      Your Pentatone set has the first two plus Accademia Chigiana Siena, Royal Flemish Philharmonic, Christiane Oelze, Ingebrog Danz, Christoph Strehl & David Wilson-Johnson.
                      Yes, you are correct. I am playing that Pentatone Ninth now, the first time in years. This set had the weirdest packaging, with a box that folds like an accordion and guaranteed to send the discs flying out every which way

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Would that be the Eloquence CD? In their documentation William Waterhouse turned up as 'Willie Antony Waters'.

Comment

• frankbridge
                          • Sep 2018

Robert Simpson: Brass Music (Energy, Volcano, Vortex and the Introduction and Allegro on a Bass by Max Reger)

Desford Colliery Caterpillar Band / Watson

Hyperion CDA 66449

Bizarre but true

Comment

• oliver sudden
                            • Feb 2024

The _1987_ BPO/Rattle Mahler 6.

Gosh.

(In one of those swish BPO publications. Also with his 2018 farewell concert as Chefdirigent. Might be a while before I get to that one. I think listening to it too close to this one would run the risk of several kinds of disappointment…)

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

A former colleague of mine was married to a man who worked for Caterpillar. She told me they were expected to be 'Caterpillar Wives' and join in company events. I find all that sort of thing very sinister.

Comment

• frankbridge
                                • Sep 2018

OK, it is late at night, but I'll go for the full force on this one, and chance the consequences:

Harrison Birtwistle

Punch and Judy

Bryn-Julson / DeGaetani / Langridge / Roberts / Wilson Johnson / Tomlinson

London Sinfonietta

David Atherton

Etcetra KTC 2014

The words "stellar" are nothing at all for the soloists but they are too. It is quite difficult to understand, but it is true. And I've got it

Comment

Working...
                                X