• Mario
    • Aug 2020

Comparing

W A MOZART

Fl & Harp Con in C Maj K 299

Orch of the Old Fairfield Academy – S Miller – V Drake – T Crawford
    BBC NOW – E Beynon – C Beynon – T Fischer
    Les Violons du Roy – M Grauwels – G Herbert – N Labadie

Quite incredible how with one performance the work sounds rather pedestrian, and then under different performers, wow!

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

If the critic is who I think it is then I’d completely ignore him! His opinion is no more or less valid than yours.
      Well I know that but this was so over the top critically that it stays with me…

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Brahms. Symphony No.4.

Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra conducted by David Zinman.

Lovely playing and convincing conducting.
        Zinman is interesting. He studied under Monteux. I usually either really enjoy or dislike his records but at least he has a strong interpretive profile

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
          Beethoven's Ninth - Philippe Herreweghe, Collegium Vocale Gent and La Chapelle Royale (in the "Lumieres: Music Of The Enlightenment" boxset)
          ... that 30 CD box set such a treasure trove : when I got it back in 2012 I (almost) felt guilty at having acquired all those goodies for just £16

Comment

• AuntDaisy
            Host
            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... that 30 CD box set such a treasure trove : when I got it back in 2012 I (almost) felt guilty at having acquired all those goodies for just £16

You did better than me...

Rameau's "Castor & Pollux" is playing now, Les Arts Florisants & William Christie; (glad HM included texts). A minor lull in the roadworks.

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

You did better than me...
              ... so you probably didn't need to feel guilty!

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                ... so you probably didn't need to feel guilty!

I try not to.

The only downside with some of those compilation box sets, is the lack of the original booklets.
                The Trevor Pinnock / ECO one has a lovely TP book (inc. CD track info) & the original sleeve images, but not the booklets (which would easily fit on a CD as PDFs).

Comment

• smittims
                  • Aug 2022

I agree. I often lament the disappearance of original sleeve notes. It's the price you pay for getting the recordings cheaper. Another loss is the origiinal cover art. I treasure the Munch paintings on the Philips LPs of Colin Davis' Boston recordings of Sibelius.

Comment

• oliver sudden
                    • Feb 2024

The tricky thing is, it’s not as though the old versions with booklets are still out there but more expensive—you have to find the original release on the second-hand market if you want any sort of documentation, which if it’s an old LP or even 78 can all get a bit involved!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                      • Dec 2010

Puccini – 'Messa di Gloria'
                      Chor des Bayerischen Rundfunk,
                      Tomislav Mužek (tenor) & George Petean (baritone)
                      Münchner Rundfunkorchester / Ivan Repušić
                      Recorded Live, 2024 Herz-Jesu-Kirche, Munich
                      BR Klassik, new CD

Mozart – Hagen Quartet
                      String Quartet No. 16, K428
                      String Quartet No. 17, K458 'The Hunt'
                      String Quartet No. 21, K575 'Prussian No. 1'
                      Hagen Quartet
                      Recorded: K428 (Palatin, Minnesängersaal, Wiesloch, 1999);
                      K458 (Kirche St. Konrad, Abersee, 1998);
                      K575 (Mozarteum, Grosser Saal, Salzburg, 1995)
                      Deutsche Grammophon (CD 5 of 7 from the complete Mozart String Quartets)

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Beethoven's Ninth - Philippe Herreweghe, Collegium Vocale Gent and La Chapelle Royale (in the "Lumieres: Music Of The Enlightenment" boxset)

Poor LvB is being mistreated (by me) in the hope that he'll drown out the incessant racket from the roadworks outside.
                        Herreweghe released all 9 LvB symphonies on the Pentatone label years back in SACD . Are all 9 included here or just the Ninth?

Comment

• pastoralguy
                          • Nov 2010

I purchased the Brilliant Classics box set of the complete works of J.S. Bach for £20. (Free p&p!) I’m trying to steel myself to listen from beginning to end. Wish me luck!

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

I purchased the Brilliant Classics box set of the complete works of J.S. Bach for £20. (Free p&p!) I’m trying to steel myself to listen from beginning to end. Wish me luck!
                            That'll see you through quite a few night shifts, pg!
                            Any decent 'names' included? Who does the cantatas, for example? One group, or mix and match?
                            (I'm too lazy to find out from Presto or Brilliant's own site, but it may well not be very detailed there anyway.)

Actually, Presto does give some info, and there are indeed 'names':

142 CDs representing the entirety of Johann Sebastian Bach’s oeuvre in historically informed performances.

This includes all 200 sacred cantatas recorded for Brilliant Classics on period instruments and sung by the Holland Boys Choir.

Big name artists include Thomas Zehetmair, Pieter‐Jan Belder Bob van Asperen, René Jacobs, Arleen Auger, Lucia Popp, Edith Mathis, Peter Schreier and Matthias Goerne.

For reasons of completeness, pure musical enjoyment, scholarly research, attractive, space saving design and price, you cannot afford to be without Brilliant Classics’ improved Complete Bach Edition.

Comment

• smittims
                              • Aug 2022

That's fine for Bach fans and I hope they enjoy it. Me, I've come to prefer Haydn and especially Handel to Bach. That said, I've just been listening to one Bach recording that won't be in that Brilliant box: the S. John Passion with David Willcocks and King's College choir, and the Philomusica of London with Thurston Dart. The singers include Helen Watts, Alexander Young and Hervey Alan. I find it deeply moving.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                                Host
                                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                                That's fine for Bach fans and I hope they enjoy it. Me, I've come to prefer Haydn and especially Handel to Bach. That said, I've just been listening to one Bach recording that won't be in that Brilliant box: the S. John Passion with David Willcocks and King's College choir, and the Philomusica of London with Thurston Dart. The singers include Helen Watts, Alexander Young and Hervey Alan. I find it deeply moving.
                                With Hurston Dart (sic) as the harpsichord player in the incarnation I have!

Comment

Working...
                                X