X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Obituary in Guardian well worth reading.

Sorry I'm not very good at links on the I phone ...
    Classical music critic at the Guardian for almost 30 years, who sought to ‘appreciate’ rather than let nitpicking spoil enjoyment
    Steve

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

I always enjoyed reading his reviews, hearing his broadcasts, and as so many on her have said - he really was a fabulous influence on my evolving music collection. I remember once attending a 'live' interview in HMV Oxford Street. He was interviewing (more like chatting with) Andre Previn. The afternoon flew by; it was excellent. Friendly, convivial, informative. My impression was, 'what a really nice chap, he is'.

Another time, a friend of mine called over, and while waiting for me to put my finishing touches (we planned to go off out somewhere) picked up Gramophone, started to read where I had left it open at an EG article (he had had no interest in classical music at all) and said "I'd like to hear this piece - this guy makes me want to explore". Since then said friend has built up a veritable CD library of music, and become quite knowledgeable, to say the least.

Thank you EG, for your inspiration, humour, wit, informed comment and sheer eloquence. They really don't make 'em like you anymore.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        I always enjoyed ...hearing his broadcasts
        A most evocative repeat of part of a 1994 BAL he did about Berlioz "R & J" on now - starting 10.35 for the listeners-again.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• seabright
          • Jan 2013

The Telegraph obituary features a video of EG chatting about his life and career and provides a view of those thousands of LPs. I pity his executor at having to dispose of that lot. From what I gather on another forum, the vast majority of classical LPs these days are worthless and can't even be given away, as universities and the like don't have the equipment to play them on. It looks like a large skip or two will have to be positioned outside EG's house at some future point ...

Critic and biographer of André Previn who brought a positive tone to Radio 3’s Record Review

Comment

• Hitch
            • Nov 2010

Here is the video that accompanied the Telegraph obituary.

Comment

• seabright
              • Jan 2013

Thanks Hitch ... Also on You Tube is a multi-language documentary on Stravinsky, sub-titled in Swedish, in which EG briefly appears. At about 45 minutes in, he asks Stravinsky about his musical inspiration in old age ...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                Thanks Hitch ... Also on You Tube is a multi-language documentary on Stravinsky, sub-titled in Swedish, in which EG briefly appears. At about 45 minutes in, he asks Stravinsky about his musical inspiration in old age ...

Igor's in a good mood, too, isn't he?! Even he fell for EG's natural charm.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                  The Telegraph obituary features a video of EG chatting about his life and career and provides a view of those thousands of LPs. I pity his executor at having to dispose of that lot. From what I gather on another forum, the vast majority of classical LPs these days are worthless and can't even be given away, as universities and the like don't have the equipment to play them on. It looks like a large skip or two will have to be positioned outside EG's house at some future point ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html
                  Thanks for the clip. Seeing the "Greenfield Collection" reminded me of listening to the World Service on a short wave when I lived in Germany in the early 70s.

Was that him wearing Lederhosen in one of the pictures? (6.25)

Comment

• visualnickmos
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    A most evocative repeat of part of a 1994 BAL he did about Berlioz "R & J" on now - starting 10.35 for the listeners-again.
                    Thanks Caliban. Just listening now....

Comment

• seabright
                      • Jan 2013

"Was that him wearing Lederhosen in one of the pictures? (6.25)" ... Yes, rather strange attire ... I wonder what Menuhin thought of it?! ... I've tried uploading a jpeg screen shot from that exact point but it says "invalid file," so no luck there, I fear.

Comment

• mercia
                        • Nov 2010

annoying background noise in that Telegraph video - was someone vacuuming ?

Comment

• visualnickmos
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                          John Cage background music?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Sir George Dyson ?

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                              Sir George Dyson ?
                              Wish I'd thought of that !

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Sir George Dyson ?

... and not forgetting -

Jeffrey Hoover's works -- ranging from music for soloist to symphony orchestra -- have received recognition through the prestigious Trieste prize, awards from Mu Phi Epsilon, the Lancaster Fine Arts Festival, grants, publications, fellowships and over 20 commissions. One unique aspect of Hoover's work is when he combines his compositions with his own paintings, creating synergetic works. Born on September 11, 1959, in Anderson, Indiana, Jeffrey Hoover holds a Ph.D. in Fine Arts (Composition and Interdisciplinary Fine Arts) from Texas Tech University, as well as a M.M. and Bch.Sc. from Ball State University. He serves as Associate Professor and Director of Integrated Arts at the University of Baltimore. artmusic1@verizon.net

Comment

Working...
                                X