X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mahlerei
    • Jun 2015

Edward Greenfield (1928 - 2015)

Sad to hear that the veteran critic EG died yesterday. I have very fond memories of his inimitable reviewing style in Gramophone and elsewhere. Also his Saturday morning Record Review on the BBC World Service in the late 1970s. Was always a trial to hear the latter over shortwave static but well worth it in the end. RIP
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Sad news. He was one of the people who helped me when I was first 'getting into' classical music - not personally, but though his broadcasts.
    Steve

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Sad, indeed - one of those voices from my teens and early twenties; and such Henry Sandonesque enthusiasm for the mainstream repertoire (Mozart - Britten); quite infectious. (Though also a little disconcerting - there was a period in the very early '80s when a new recording of the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony appeared practically every month: as they came out, one-by-one, he described them as "the best one yet" in each successive issue of Gramophone!)

RIP. and many thanks, EG
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        ...there was a period in the very early '80s when a new recording of the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony appeared practically every month: as they came out, one-by-one, he described them as "the best one yet" in each successive issue of Gramophone!)...
        Yes - I'd forgotten.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

RIP EG. He was everywhere. I was a Gramophone subscriber and used the The Penguin Guide a lot when it first came out. At one time I was a Guardian reader and remember enjoying his many contributions there.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I derived much pleasure from his writing and broadcasts - developed a compelling gravelly voice over the years. High standards and a rare talent to match it, too! RIP.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

And ironically, he was one of those, with Peter Maxwell Davies, who queried the policy for Radio 3 to focus on classical music, to the possible exclusion of the speech programmes that had featured on the Third Programme, with the possible result that people might lose 'whole realms of experience'.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

1968 Film Group produce short film on music critic: Directed by Oliver Heard. Edward Greenfield, or Ted, as he's known to his friends, was a music critic and...

Last edited by vinteuil; 02-07-15, 14:43.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                  • Dec 2012

Very sad to hear this. I got to know him quite well in my 'composing days'. A nice man and a kind critic. He will be missed. Thanks Ted.

Comment

• moeranbiogman

RIP Edward Greenfield

Passed peacefully on 1st July.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2011

I learnt so much from him and the classic Old Gramophonians - The Stereo Record Guide, Layton-March-Greenfield, the thrill of discovery!
                      Sheer enthusiasm, looking for what's good in a recording, not taking the easy route into egoism, clever-clever dismissal and carping...

Thanks for it all, Ed!
                      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-07-15, 18:44.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Sad, indeed - one of those voices from my teens and early twenties; and such Henry Sandonesque enthusiasm for the mainstream repertoire (Mozart - Britten); quite infectious. (Though also a little disconcerting - there was a period in the very early '80s when a new recording of the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony appeared practically every month: as they came out, one-by-one, he described them as "the best one yet" in each successive issue of Gramophone!)

RIP. and many thanks, EG

Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte,

A nice memory to hold. New recordings of the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony are still coming thick and fast.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          I learnt so much from him and the classic Old Gramophonians - The Stereo Record Guide, Layton-March-Greenfield, the thrill of discovery!
                          Sheer enthusiasm, looking for what's good in a recording, not taking the easy route into egoism, clever-clever dismissal and carping...

Thanks for it all, Ed!
                          Indeed yes. A critic who put the music first.

Comment

• mahlerei
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            Hiya ferneyhoughgeliebte,

A nice memory to hold. New recordings of the Saint-Saens "Organ" Symphony are still coming thick and fast.
                            Aren't they just?! One of the fillers on Slatkin's new Naxos recording - Cyprés et Lauriers - is a lot of fun, though.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Oh no! Another stalwart of the music critic scene has left us. A sad day and a great loss. Like JLW, I learnt an awful lot from this man. RIP
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X