• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

LPO on Sky Arts

A new 4-part documentary series on the LPO starts on 13 March, on Sky Arts (available on Freeview/Freesat without extra charge).

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• LMcD
    • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
    A new 4-part documentary series on the LPO starts on 13 March, on Sky Arts (available on Freeview/Freesat without extra charge).

https://slippedisc.com/2024/02/londo...series-on-sky/
    Thank you for bringing this to our attention - I shall certainly tune in!

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Thanks.We don't often get a chance to see behind the scenes, and I suspect that many people who just listen to CDs have little idea of how much hard work there is in putting on orchestral music.

I had hoped it would cover the fascinating history of this orchestra, but as it is, it will be interesting.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Thanks, I might have missed this. Probably still my favourite orchestra from the Haitink and Tennstedt days. Underwhelmed at first by the Ed Gardner appointment, I think he was an inspired choice.

Comment

• Kingfisher
          • Aug 2023

This will include the full performance of Mahler 2. Watch out for a guest appearance by Roddy Williams among the bass section of the LPC and a very moving performance of Urlicht by Beth Taylor - she has a stellar career ahead of her.

The LPO is getting better and better. The chemistry with Ed Gardner is palpable.

Watch out also for an electrifying Creation on March 13th.

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

https://slippedisc.com/2024/02/londo...series-on-sky/
            I've just watched the first episode, which I found absolutely fascinating.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

I've just watched the first episode, which I found absolutely fascinating.
              I meant to post a reminder earlier this week, but real life got in the way… Glad you caught it, hope others did.

It’s recorded and I’m looking forward to watching.

Oddly, my ‘series record’ setting yielded two programmes yesterday - had to investigate before realising that an early-morning showing had been recorded as well as the evening transmission - both of episode 1 of 4.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Lordgeous
                • Dec 2012

And repeated again today at 3pm.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Enjoyable programme, mercifully free of the inanities to which most programmes on classical music are prone. Longer musical extracts and intelligent remarks from the players were revealing along with the absolute dedication shown by the orchestral rank and file, many of whom literally gave up their jobs just to audition for the LPO. Ed Gardner, for all his boyish good looks is clearly a driven individual with little if any in the way of small talk. This makes it difficult to hang a storyline to the series but means that the programme makers, so far, have little choice but to focus on the music. Alison et al need not fear; the future of the LPO is in safe hands.

Comment

• FFRR
                    • Feb 2017

I binged 3 episodes last night and I'm saving the 'performance' for later. Intelligent, articulate contributions from all the players they chose to feature (I wonder how they made the selections?) It's easy to confect, I suppose, but there did seem to be a general warmth and camaraderie among the players. I thought the new co-principal leader Alice Ivy-Pemberton was wonderful (probably for all the wrong reasons...)

Comment

• ucanseetheend
                      • Dec 2010

Is it available online?
                      "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

• rauschwerk
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                        Is it available online?
                        Yes, but as far as I can see you have to pay. Worth it for these programmes, I thought.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                          Is it available online?
                          On NOW Entertainment which is largely drama but includes Sky Arts on demand as well as live . £10 a month plus £6 HD and no ads boost so £192 per year . Sky Arts has quite a good selection of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          X