• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Pappano's Classical Voices

I really enjoyed this BBC4 programme tonight which featured sopranos. The most fascinating part (for me) was the inclusion of historic film clips of the likes of Tebaldi, Sutherland, Callas, Price...and especially a filmed recording session of Brigitte Nielsen. Incredible.

Antonio Pappano explores the great soprano roles and singers of the last 100 years.
  • Historian
    • Aug 2012

Surely Birgit Nilsson (although I am prepared to believe that Danish actress Brigitte Nielsen can sing)?

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      Surely Birgit Nilsson (although I am prepared to believe that Danish actress Brigitte Nielsen can sing)?
      Hiya Historian,

Such a nice way of pointing out an error. They say it's the lowest form of wit!

Comment

• Historian
        • Aug 2012

I'm not familiar enough with Miss Nielsen's career to give an opinion on her musical talents!

Never heard Birgit Nilsson, but did hear Sutherland once towards the very end of her career.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

I had no idea what Birgit Nilsson looked like, and was quite surprised. I'd always imagined her as a statuesque blonde. Amazing voice, as has Joan Sutherland, but it's Carolyn Sampson every time for me.

Pappano has made recordings with Ian Bostridge, so I'm hoping the programme on tenors won't be entirely about the Pavarotti type.
          Last edited by Mary Chambers; 29-06-15, 09:45. Reason: To correct Autocorrect, as usual.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
            I really enjoyed this BBC4 programme tonight which featured sopranos. The most fascinating part (for me) was the inclusion of historic film clips of the likes of Tebaldi, Sutherland, Callas, Price...and especially a filmed recording session of Brigitte Nielsen. Incredible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06154q3
            Enjoyed every minute of it! Birgit Nilsson (my goodness!) was just wonderful and very appealing in a scary way. They don't make 'em like that anymore.

My ex Oratory colleague, Carolyn Sampson, was brilliant. Pappano was clearly bewitched by her voice, musicality and intelligence - he's only human!

His enthusiasm for opera is infectious and we need this more than ever right now.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

It wasn't her fault but the original LP album cover of Birgit's Salome must surely hold the prize for the most hideous ever!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

...and especially a filmed recording session of Brigitte Nielsen. Incredible.
                This taken from The Golden Ring, the 1965 documentary made by Humphrey Burton during the recording of Solti's Götterdämmerung. I remember watching this on TV at the time, and for many years had the VHS tape....I see it's now available on DVD. One of the great documentaries - lots of interviews, and some stunning sequences of the actual recordings. The bit with the horse on stage at the start of Pappano's Nielsen section was their (Culshaw and co's) little joke on Nielsen's birthday.

Last edited by Guest; 29-06-15, 09:37.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Apologies for my egregious mis-spelling of Brigit Nilson!

I couldn't agree more about Carolyn Sampson. I also thought also that very feisty sop who sang and conducted contemporary stuff (I won't guess at her name...I'm sure someone will oblige) was a force of nature. My original point, apart from the excellence of the whole programme, was about the historic footage which might, I guess, be difficult to view anywhere else.*

I liked Papano's manner, i.e. managing to enlighten Mr Everyman without being patronising. There was a bit of the usual BBC production nonsense I could have done without...but that's a quibble compared with the fact the Beeb has actually invested in a classical music series. And who knows the opera business better than Papano? A gift to music and to communication.

* Richard T. Thanks for the tip about the Golden Ring DVD

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

I couldn't agree more about Carolyn Sampson. I also thought also that very feisty sop who sang and conducted contemporary stuff (I won't guess at her name...I'm sure someone will oblige) was a force of nature. My original point, apart from the excellence of the whole programme, was about the historic footage which might, I guess, be difficult to view anywhere else.*

I liked Papano's manner, i.e. managing to enlighten Mr Everyman without being patronising. There was a bit of the usual BBC production nonsense I could have done without...but that's a quibble compared with the fact the Beeb has actually invested in a classical music series. And who knows the opera business better than Papano? A gift to music and to communication.

* Richard T. Thanks for the tip about the Golden Ring DVD
                    Almost, on the spelling, Mr Ard Carp, but I understand the ease with which these minor mistakes can happen. Now we've sorted that out...

Many of the historic clips may be found on the www (You Tube etc.) but the fact that many will not have seen them or even be aware that they are available makes an even stronger case for the programme, should that be necessary.

Comment

• Historian
                      • Aug 2012

I am sure we all knew what was meant. Just couldn't resist the opportunity. I would like to second Simon Biazeck's point and to thank you for bringing this programme to our attention (which I should have said earlier).

Comment

• Oliver

I was delighted to see Nilsson again; I fear that we shall never hear her like again. I was lucky enough as a teenager to stand in the arena at the Proms and hear her sing the Liebestod and then Act 3 of Gotterdammerung after the interval. What a voice; what stamina. And who today could cut through Solti's orchestra with such ease?

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

I also thought also that very feisty sop who sang and conducted contemporary stuff (I won't guess at her name...I'm sure someone will oblige) was a force of nature.
                          Barbara Hannigan. The following clip her performing Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macarbre with Rattle at the Barbican is utterly priceless.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Barbara Hannigan. The following clip her performing Ligeti's Mysteries of the Macarbre with Rattle at the Barbican is utterly priceless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmCmrZfybPQ
                            FABULOUS !!!!!!!!!!!! (Or as my 14-year-old grand-daughter just said, 'Totes amazeballs'.)

It's Catherine Tate meets Cathy Berberian. Should be compulsory viewing for everyone on The Forum.
                            I wonder if a non-musician watching that would have any idea of the incredible musicianship involved?

A must for The Last Night of the Proms, surely?

Comment

• ostuni
                              • Nov 2010

Hannigan is an astonishing singer and musician! Have you seen the 2011 version, where she conducts the ensemble as well? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZKaMuALMMY

Comment

Working...
                              X