X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prommer
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by slarty View Post
    I heard his RING Cycle from Bayreuth last year and was not impressed. Too slick and superficial, his Verdi(from Munich) suffers from the same problems. Maybe he is unduly influenced by so many Eurotrash productions.
    Like Makropulos, I also heard his Elgar 2, paired with Beethoven 3rd Piano Co(Vogt) with the BPO. Good, but not one for the archives.
    Unlike salty, I WAS impressed with his Ring in Bayreuth. Certainly very different from Thielemann's which I heard in 2009. Both very valid, even if I preferred the latter's, and would have liked him to have been offered Berlin.

The two of them have recently fallen out over a number of Bayreuth-related issues, so Petrenko - who apparently turned it down before - is now willing to take it on.

Anyway, I can only comment on Petrenko as an opera conductor, which has formed most of his career to date (like Thielemann again, in fact).

He conducted Rosenkavalier in London a while back and that was very fine indeed.

It may be that the Berliners want to go back to Salzburg from Baden-Baden to which they have been relegated in recent summers - hence the need for an opera man. It is Thielemann (again), and his Dresden band, who now have this gig.

All in all, Petrenko is an imaginative choice - and he is very highly regarded by those who have played for him.

Comment

• Prommer
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
      Sean Rafftery interviewed Richard Morrison on 'In Tune' after 17.00. Apparently, Mr. Petrenko has refused to do interviews AT ANY TIME! Seems he's a very shy man who doesn't like talking to the press. It seems amazing that, in today's media hungry environment, he refuses to engage. To be head of an orchestra that travels the world on a regular basis and who generates tremendous interest will require him to be a figure head.

He'd better be a damn good conductor to justify ducking out of what is an essential part of the job.
      He is being compared to Carlos Kleiber a good deal at the moment... this would be another tick in that box!

Comment

• Prommer
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        Heavens above - I do hope no conductor poses in a wet T shirt !
        The only one I personally can think of whom this might show off to good effect is Barbara Hannigan. But I think this would be unnecessary as she has talent enough without that kind of desperate PR tactic.

As for the rest of them, to each their own, but God spare us...

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Having been the first to mention wet T-shirts here, could I just explain that it was meant metaphorically to symbolise the publicist's dream of anyone in the world of classical music who will fall in with whatever publicity stunt is thought up for them. To elaborate on my earlier comment, I approve of a musician who doesn't join the media circus (but will no doubt do whatever he thinks necessary in order to share the joy of the BPO's superlative music-making as widely as possible).
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            Time for a visit to Specsavers. He couldn't be much different!
            Dealt with - see no.32 passim.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Having been the first to mention wet T-shirts here, could I just explain that it was meant metaphorically to symbolise the publicist's dream of anyone in the world of classical music who will fall in with whatever publicity stunt is thought up for them.
              I did realise that, ff! I'm sure we all do. I was being light-hearted when I mentioned Vasily Petrenko, who is considered a rather good-looking man.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                I did realise that, ff! I'm sure we all do. I was being light-hearted when I mentioned Vasily Petrenko, who is considered a rather good-looking man.
                Well, I think of them both as Cyril and Basil Peters. By their music shalt thou know them
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Well, it's all here....

...as noted above, the Suk items are stunning, all the evidence you need. Just go listen.... (Ripening cheapest as download from eClassical...)
                  ...and I've every reason to look forward to this one tomorrow!

Buy Suk: A Summer's Tale OP. 29 A by Orc Der Komischen:Petrenko from Amazon's Classical Music Store. Everyday low prices and free delivery on eligible orders.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    Well, I think of them both as Cyril and Basil Peters.
                    I'm going to now

Comment

• teamsaint
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Well, it's all here....

...as noted above, the Suk items are stunning, all the evidence you need. Just go listen.... (Ripening cheapest as download from eClassical...)
                      ...and I've every reason to look forward to this one tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Suk-Summers-...ummer%27s+tale
                      How would you rate A Summers tale compared to the Pesek, Jayne? need to be selective in my listening right now.

Off topic, anybody interested in Suk bargain can find a double for £6 with Asrael and Summers tale from Pesek/RLPO used on market place ATM.
                      A Steal.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        How would you rate A Summers tale compared to the Pesek, Jayne? need to be selective in my listening right now.

Off topic, anybody interested in Suk bargain can find a double for £6 with Asrael and Summers tale from Pesek/RLPO used on market place ATM.
                        A Steal.
                        It hasn't got here yet! Tomorrow....

Just about all of Pesek's Suk recordings are & will remain classics... personally I prefer a bit more bite and focus in such a rich orchestral style, and that's what Petrenko brings so strikingly to the works I've heard (as Talich, Kubelik, Mackerras have too). Back in the day I saw Pesek do Suk's music in Liverpool - it tended to be a slightly softer, romantically rounded view. The hall tended to enhance that before 1994. I was sometimes left wanting more, e.g.. from guttier Czech or German string sections. But he's devoted to the music, true to himself, and the recordings still sound very good, if a little inclined to atmosphere over detail, etc...

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                          It hasn't got here yet! Tomorrow....

Just about all of Pesek's Suk recordings are & will remain classics... personally I prefer a bit more bite and focus in such a rich orchestral style, and that's what Petrenko brings so strikingly to the works I've heard (as Talich, Kubelik, Mackerras have too). Back in the day I saw Pesek do Suk's music in Liverpool - it tended to be a slightly softer, romantically rounded view. The hall tended to enhance that before 1994. I was sometimes left wanting more, e.g.. from guttier Czech or German string sections. But he's devoted to the music, true to himself, and the recordings still sound very good, if a little inclined to atmosphere over detail, etc...
                          Thanks Jayne.....the cd will be just in time fo summer.

Would love to hear a Summers Tale performed live.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                            • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                            Sexist!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

I'm all for confounding and dumbfounding the know-alls but this appointment is quite astounding, even revolutionary.

Good luck to the guy!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Well thisa is quite something for the Berliner Philharmoniker! Hoping he will have to become more media savvy, as Rattle is! He'll need to be, these days, surely
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X