X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    That's an odd comment Stanf. - as KP makes clear in this interview, he most certainly chose this very unusual programme himself!
    Try going in at about 6'00...
    In conversation with Philharmoniker clarinettist Alexander Bader, Kirill Petrenko discusses the programme for his third appearance with the Berliner Philharmoniker in December 2012, which included works by Stravinsky, Scriabin and Rudi Stephan.

(Even better - if the three marvellous CPO Suk albums (or the Pfitzner) don't appeal, cough up the €9.90 and listen to the concert yourself..!)

Shame people don't look back at earlier comments, but - one more time: it's possible that the Philharmoniker had mixed feelings about "imported stars" for chief conductor after Rattle and Abbado, and wanted someone to form a warmer, closer bond with, cf. Kempe/Staatskapelle, Kubelik/BRSO or even - CBSO/Rattle...

They can renew their own repertoire, yes, but also their own response to - Bruckner, Brahms, Beethoven etc... they can learn and grow with someone who precisely hasn't been ploughing through all that in the studio or concert hall before. As for great conductors learning their trade in the opera pit, there are too many to mention, Klemperer and Karajan among them. It is the classic route really, now largely forgotten...
    Hiya JLW, Thanks very much indeed for your reply although my comments were directed to makropulos rather than yourself but no matter. Owing to technical problems I have not been able to watch the KP interview on the Digital Concert Hall you refer to. Nevertheless if KP did programme the Rudi Stephan works then fair enough. I'm actually quite pleased that he did but it doesn't stop me from being surprised. It's not that I don't welcome KP's appointment because I do welcome it. In truth I was probably expecting one of the better known names to get the job. I wish KP well and hope that he flourishes in his new role with the Berliner Philharmononiker.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Available in the UK, but it'll cost ya:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Josef-Suk-As...dp/B0001M64W0/
        You can get it for 7.99 Euro from jpc or wait for cpo's 3CD set, "Kirill Petrenko conducts Josef Suk", including Asrael, listed for release on 20th July. Reasonably priced at 19.99 Euro, it should sell well with his latest appointment. I will certainly be interested.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          You can get it for 7.99 Euro from jpc or wait for cpo's 3CD set, "Kirill Petrenko conducts Josef Suk", including Asrael, listed for release on 20th July. Reasonably priced at 19.99 Euro, it should sell well with his latest appointment. I will certainly be interested.
          The Asreal is a piece that hasn't really clicked with me, despite trying a couple of recordings. I usually find my attention wandering before the end of each movement. I would like to hear what KP could do with it.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            If he conducts with his eyes closed all the time, then we have a clue why the Berliners like him so much.

Comment

• Daniel
              • Jun 2012

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
              If he conducts with his eyes closed all the time, then we have a clue why the Berliners like him so much.
              A school friend played in the EYO when Karajan was conducting, and as he always shut his eyes when conducting, in one rehearsal the orchestra all shut their's (very bravely!) just as Karajan was bringing them in. When no sound came, Karajan opened his eyes, saw all their closed eyes and actually took in it good humour. He explained that the reason he shut his eyes, was that he had photographic memory and saw the score in his head as he conducted.

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                A school friend played in the EYO when Karajan was conducting, and as he always shut his eyes when conducting, in one rehearsal the orchestra all shut their's (very bravely!) just as Karajan was bringing them in. When no sound came, Karajan opened his eyes, saw all their closed eyes and actually took in it good humour. He explained that the reason he shut his eyes, was that he had photographic memory and saw the score in his head as he conducted.
                Nice anecdote, Daniel.
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• verismissimo
                  • Nov 2010

That KP: he'll not get picked for the England team, whatever.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

"...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by slarty View Post
                      Quite a lot of diverse orchestral repertoire from him is available on youtube (including some Suk, but not Asrael)
                      It is worth checking out.
                      For instance: this is very good (apart from a fairly ghastly-sounding soprano... ) !

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

With KP extending his tenure at the Bayerische Staatsoper and delying his start at the Berliner Philharmoniker I wonder what is going on. Most conducters would have jumped at the Berlin job which is arguably the biggest in music. I sense that KP does not really want the Berlin job.
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 13-11-15, 13:25.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                          With KP extending his tenure at the Bayerische Staatsoper and delying his start at the Berliner Philharmoniker I wonder what is going on. Most conducters would have jumped at the Berlin job which is arguably the biggest in music. I sense that KP does not really want the Berlin job.
                          It's certainly an unusual situation. The orchestra's web site does its best to put a positive spin on it, but you can't help feeling that they're regretting their decision.

Comment

• Steerpike
                            • Nov 2010

Is there something new, or are post #101 and 102 responses to the BPhil press release of a month ago?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Steerpike View Post
                              Is there something new, or are post #101 and 102 responses to the BPhil press release of a month ago?
                              Hiya Steerpike,

The news might be a few weeks old but my post is in response to the article 'Petrenko renews in Munich' in the Newsdesk column of the newly published Opera magazine (December edition) received today.

Comment

• Steerpike
                                • Nov 2010

Hello Stanfordian

Ah, I see. The reason I asked is that I supposed it was fairly widely accepted that events were more or less what they seemed on the surface. Something similar has just happened with Nelsons and Leipzig. I don't think even the Berlin Phil can now rely on being able to summon like an emperor of old.

Steerpike

Comment

Working...
                                X