• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    Hiya Ferney,

Only the risk that KP is rather an unknown quantity in the Austro/German repertoire. I fear his strong background in opera might not translate to the concert hall. With every one of his Berliner Philharmoniker concerts being available on the Digital Concert Hall the scrutiny and pressure KP will be under will massive.

It makes little difference to me who got the job although I did hear KPs name being mentioned in some quarters. Rodion Shchedrin told me how that KP was a rising star. If pushed I would have been comfortable with Andris Nelsons, Tugan Sokhiev or Yannick Nézet-Séguin.
    I was reading a short biography of Toscanini that pointed out until he was pointed Conductor of the NBC orchestra, the vast amount of conducting that he had done was in the Opera Pit, and there were some criticisms that he was not sufficently experienced in the core Austro German Music.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

He was Tom Service's No 9 suggestion three months ago: 4/10

With Rattle’s next post in London finally confirmed, attention returns to the Berlin Philharmonic and the question of who will succeed him as its principal conductor.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        I was reading a short biography of Toscanini that pointed out until he was pointed Conductor of the NBC orchestra, the vast amount of conducting that he had done was in the Opera Pit, and there were some criticisms that he was not sufficently experienced in the core Austro German Music.
        Hiya RFG,

That was Toscanini then, this is Kirill Petrenko now!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Hiya ER,

Programming repertoire will be a most difficult time for KP. Surely KP won't last long if he consistently programmes what the orchestra doesn't rate. I'm sure the Berlin audiance will continue to demand a number of its much loved traditional Austro/German repertoire. For example I don't know how well KP conducts Bruckner, Mahler, Brahms and Richard Strauss for example? I see this appointment as a very risky one for the orchestra but I hope it works out for him.
          Not that much of a risk - the BPO know the works pretty well and he's likely a quick learner!

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Not that much of a risk - the BPO know the works pretty well and he's likely a quick learner!
            ... behave yourself or we'll play it the way you're conducting.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Though born in Moscow, Hans Pfizner considered himself a Frankfurter (he lived there from the age of 2). Kirill Petrenko has recorded Pfizner's Palestrina, so he is not that unfamiliar with the Germanic musical tradition.

If tempted, best to download from QOBUZ in lossless format (with downloadable libretto, etc) for around £12.80, rather than in lossy mp3 format (no libretto, etc.) for £18.99 from amazon.co.uk.
              Last edited by Bryn; 24-06-15, 15:37. Reason: Typo + update.

Comment

• Lento
                • Jan 2014

I wondered why the photos of him were so different to the Petrenko I remembered....duh!

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                  • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Well, they chose him …
                  Yes, they did, which speaks volumes in itself ....

An outsider might conclude that the orchestra members themselves fancied a change from concerts dominated by the Austro-German classics?

I'd have very mixed personal feelings about that but I honestly cannot see any other reason for this appointment?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Hiya makropulos,

Kirill Petrenko will not have chosen to play Rudi Stefan's music with the Berliner Philharmoniker the programme will have been selected for him. I am wondering what it is about the potential of KPs appointment that you find exciting?
                    That's an odd comment Stanf. - as KP makes clear in this interview, he most certainly chose this very unusual programme himself!
                    Try going in at about 6'00...
                    In conversation with Philharmoniker clarinettist Alexander Bader, Kirill Petrenko discusses the programme for his third appearance with the Berliner Philharmoniker in December 2012, which included works by Stravinsky, Scriabin and Rudi Stephan.

(Even better - if the three marvellous CPO Suk albums (or the Pfitzner) don't appeal, cough up the €9.90 and listen to the concert yourself..!)

Shame people don't look back at earlier comments, but - one more time: it's possible that the Philharmoniker had mixed feelings about "imported stars" for chief conductor after Rattle and Abbado, and wanted someone to form a warmer, closer bond with, cf. Kempe/Staatskapelle, Kubelik/BRSO or even - CBSO/Rattle...

They can renew their own repertoire, yes, but also their own response to - Bruckner, Brahms, Beethoven etc... they can learn and grow with someone who precisely hasn't been ploughing through all that in the studio or concert hall before. As for great conductors learning their trade in the opera pit, there are too many to mention, Klemperer and Karajan among them. It is the classic route really, now largely forgotten...
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 24-06-15, 19:54.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      That's an odd comment Stanf. - as KP makes clear in this interview, he most certainly chose this very unusual programme himself!
                      Try going in at about 6'00...
                      In conversation with Philharmoniker clarinettist Alexander Bader, Kirill Petrenko discusses the programme for his third appearance with the Berliner Philharmoniker in December 2012, which included works by Stravinsky, Scriabin and Rudi Stephan.

(Even better - if the three marvellous CPO Suk albums (or the Pfitzner) don't appeal, cough up the €9.90 and listen to the concert yourself..!)

Shame people don't look back at earlier comments, but - one more time: it's possible that the Philharmoniker had mixed feelings about "imported stars" for chief conductor after Rattle and Abbado, and wanted someone to form a warmer, closer bond with, cf. Kempe/Staatskapelle, Kubelik/BRSO or even - CBSO/Rattle...

They can renew their own repertoire, yes, but also their own response to - Bruckner, Brahms, Beethoven etc... they can learn and grow with someone who precisely hasn't been ploughing through all that in the studio or concert hall before. As for great conductors learning their trade in the opera pit, there are too many to mention, Klemperer and Karajan among them. It is the classic route really, now largely forgotten...
                      True about Conductors and Opera. I was just citing a contemporary criticism of Toscanini that is reasonating with some of the current comments about KP, to demonstrate the fallacy of such a viewpoint .
                      I am unable to find the KP Asreal on Amazon.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        I am unable to find the KP Asreal on Amazon.
                        Available in the UK, but it'll cost ya:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Eek! But still cheaper than US Amazon:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Available in the UK, but it'll cost ya:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Josef-Suk-As...dp/B0001M64W0/

Worth waiting for a re-issue, I would think. His forthcoming role is bound to generate much interest in what he has committed to disc so far.

Comment

• makropulos
                              • Nov 2010

Hiya makropulos,

Kirill Petrenko will not have chosen to play Rudi Stefan's music with the Berliner Philharmoniker the programme will have been selected for him. I am wondering what it is about the potential of KPs appointment that you find exciting?
                              As JLW has already pointed out, KP chose this repertoire - it was not "selected for him".
                              Why am I excited? Because the music I've heard him conduct has been impressively and imaginatively done - whether it's Wagner, Elgar, Janacek, Suk, Zimmermann or Mahler. I think he's a really interesting conductor who also has a creative approach to programming as well as being a tremendous musician (on the evidence of what I've heard).

Comment

• slarty

Quite a lot of diverse orchestral repertoire from him is available on youtube (including some Suk, but not Asrael)
                                It is worth checking out.

Comment

Working...
                                X