• Mary Chambers
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
    Sexist!

Of course I'm not!

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

The appointment reminds me of the Alan Gilbert/NY Phil appointment. Gilbert seemed like a nice guy who was willing to do the things that an American Conductor must do to promote himself and the Orchestra but who lacked a certain charisma. The requirements in Berlin are probably not the same as NY but it will be interesting to see how it unfolds

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        I've been reading some German newspaper reports on Petrenko's appointment. Very full background detail in the Berlin Tagesspiegel, which starts by pointing to a performance of Elgar's Second in 2009 after which the orchestra declined his invitation to stand up and receive the enthusiastic applause and instead remained seated and applauded the conductor. According to the report, this very rarely happens with the Berliners. Even then you might have guessed there could be big developments afoot between conductor and orchestra, comments the author of the piece. The appointment is nevertheless described later on as a bit of a "blank cheque". They got on well with Elgar but have never worked together on a single work from their core repertoire: nether Brahms, Beethoven, Bruckner symphonies nor anything from German Romanticism between Schumann and Strauss.
        Refreshing change.
        Can we expect plenty of 'off the beaten track' I wonder ?

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
          Banned
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          Refreshing change.
          Looks - sounds - hopeful....
          Browse hundreds of concerts in the archive, upcoming live broadcasts and our interview and film sections.

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Fantastic! What I know of Rudi Stefan's music is thrilling stuff. I am very excited about the potential of Petrenko's appointment.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
              Wonderful.

Comment

• Conchis
                Banned
                • Jun 2014

I think they've made a refreshing decision in going for such a 'leap in the dark.'

Having a 'major' recording deal has never counted for less, so this may have smoothed Petrenko's path.

His reticence about promoting himself is also refreshing, though he may have his reasons for this. Some have inferred that he must hold conservative, pro-Putin views which would prejudice western audience against him. Well, so what if he does? It's the music-making that will do the talking.

Comment

• Prommer
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                  Sexist!
                  Er, no, hardly sexist to say that someone (male or female) is 'good-looking'. 'Looksist' possibly, and certainly somewhat subjective, if you have to pin a label on it, but so what?!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                    Fantastic! What I know of Rudi Stefan's music is thrilling stuff. I am very excited about the potential of Petrenko's appointment.

Hiya makropulos,

Kirill Petrenko will not have chosen to play Rudi Stefan's music with the Berliner Philharmoniker the programme will have been selected for him. I am wondering what it is about the potential of KPs appointment that you find exciting?

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
                      Er, no, hardly sexist to say that someone (male or female) is 'good-looking'. 'Looksist' possibly, and certainly somewhat subjective, if you have to pin a label on it, but so what?!
                      Aye, all right, if you say so ...

Comment

• Stanfordian
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                        Refreshing change.
                        Hiya ER,

Programming repertoire will be a most difficult time for KP. Surely KP won't last long if he consistently programmes what the orchestra doesn't rate. I'm sure the Berlin audiance will continue to demand a number of its much loved traditional Austro/German repertoire. For example I don't know how well KP conducts Bruckner, Mahler, Brahms and Richard Strauss for example? I see this appointment as a very risky one for the orchestra but I hope it works out for him.
                        Last edited by Stanfordian; 24-06-15, 10:24.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

'Mornin' Stanf!

Do I take it that you have .. err... shall we say ... reservations about KP's appointment?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                            I see this appointment as a very risky one for the orchestra but I hope it works out for him.
                            Well, they chose him …
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              Well, they chose him …
                              Of course it chose him but I still believe KP to be a risky appointment.
                              Last edited by Stanfordian; 24-06-15, 10:43.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                'Mornin' Stanf!

Do I take it that you have .. err... shall we say ... reservations about KP's appointment?
                                Hiya Ferney,

Only the risk that KP is rather an unknown quantity in the Austro/German repertoire. I fear his strong background in opera might not translate to the concert hall. With every one of his Berliner Philharmoniker concerts being available on the Digital Concert Hall the scrutiny and pressure KP will be under will massive.

It makes little difference to me who got the job although I did hear KPs name being mentioned in some quarters. Rodion Shchedrin told me that KP was a rising star. If pushed I would have been comfortable with Andris Nelsons, Tugan Sokhiev or Yannick Nézet-Séguin.
                                Last edited by Stanfordian; 24-06-15, 13:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X