X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Ipod Headphones: recommendations?

I reckon it's about time I changed mine; currently considering some retractable phones - I've head the Sony variety recommended.

I'm hoping to avoid 'in ear' ones, of the kind I currently have (Sennheiser) and go for an 'over ear' model, like the kind I use for home listening: though they have to be retractable, for travel, etc.

Any recommendations?
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

i use sennheiser px 100, had them for sevearl years and like them a lot ..
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Mandryka,

Here's my choice :
      Shop TV, Hi-Fi, home cinema and more at Richer Sounds. We offer expert advice and lowest prices guaranteed. Visit us in store or shop online now.

and our cool Foreign Secretary goes for these :
      Last edited by Guest; 22-04-11, 16:56.

Comment

• hmvman
        • Mar 2007

I use the Sennheiser PX200 model. I've had them for nearly six years and I use them constantly in my MP3 player, computer etc. Excellent sound quality with a good bass response. Lightweight and comfortable to wear, they fold up easily and store in a neat plastic case. They cost about £40 then.

Comment

• Spatny

I have the Beyerdynamic DTX 80. My 13 year old son was so impressed with them. He spent all his Christmas & Birthday money on a pair for himself.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            I reckon it's about time I changed mine; currently considering some retractable phones - I've head the Sony variety recommended.

I'm hoping to avoid 'in ear' ones, of the kind I currently have (Sennheiser) and go for an 'over ear' model, like the kind I use for home listening: though they have to be retractable, for travel, etc.

Any recommendations?
            I'm curious why you want to avoid the in-ear ones. Is it a sound or a comfort issue?

I also have Sennheiser in-ear ones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-C...3808429&sr=8-7 ) - I find them brilliant, especially for the very low price. Infinitely better than the original iPod ones. They did two transatlantic flights with me last year and coped admirably with excluding the plane noise too.
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I'm curious why you want to avoid the in-ear ones. Is it a sound or a comfort issue?

I also have Sennheiser in-ear ones (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-C...3808429&sr=8-7 ) - I find them brilliant, especially for the very low price. Infinitely better than the original iPod ones. They did two transatlantic flights with me last year and coped admirably with excluding the plane noise too.
              I've been using Sennheisers since 2007: they've been fine, but of late have started to develop a bit of a rattle in the left channel. They're a lightweight pair of 'bracket' headphones, but not retractable; they're also a rather repulsive puce green colour but that's by the by.

I've gone off the idea of 'in-ear' phones, largely because they fall out too easily and they're not terribly hygenic; also multiple issues with the cotton buds getting lost. So, I want something close to the pair I use for at home listening, but more easily transportable.

Btw, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on here. Will let you know what I decide to go with.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                I've been using Sennheisers since 2007: they've been fine, but of late have started to develop a bit of a rattle in the left channel. They're a lightweight pair of 'bracket' headphones, but not retractable; they're also a rather repulsive puce green colour but that's by the by.

I've gone off the idea of 'in-ear' phones, largely because they fall out too easily and they're not terribly hygenic; also multiple issues with the cotton buds getting lost. So, I want something close to the pair I use for at home listening, but more easily transportable.

Btw, thanks to everyone for all the suggestions on here. Will let you know what I decide to go with.
                I've found the ear buds 100% reliable on the ones referenced above. Admittedly after a rough month in North and South America plus flights, they needed replacing due to a crackle (connection problem) - but given the use I'd had from them and the 15 quid price bracket, I didn't resent that at all.

Comment

• Mandryka

In the event, these are the ones I went for:

I took delivery of them this morning. I know it's often tempting fate to mention how pleased you are with something when you've just acquired it, but I think they're pretty good: comfortable to use, easy to fold, good bass response, a greater sense of involvement with the music, etc, etc.

They probably aren't the best cans in the world (and shouldn't be at that price), but they do the job for me thus far.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

nice price!

Comment

Working...
                    X