• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    (All that unneccesary quibbling about Sir Michael Tippet)
    To add further "unneccesary (sic) quibbling", it's spelt "Tippett".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      To add further "unneccesary (sic) quibbling", it's spelt "Tippett".

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        Total Confusion

I've just read through this thread from the beginning and I must apologise to all for introducing Bristol as B2 when it should have been Belfast and the Ulster orchestra as B2 (All that unneccesary quibbling about Sir Michael Tippett)

So it is Birmingham and my spell with the CBSO which becomes B3 in 1969 and Bristol from 1973 to 1977 (posts #23 to 69 )becomes the last of the Bs in Hornspieler's bonnet!

It is my experience with the CBSO in 1969 which links my re-starting this thread because of my concern with the future of the Ulster Orchestra - my B2 which is due to celebrate 50 years of music making for the people of Ulster and worldwide.
        I was looking around the orchestra when I spotted a new face.

Second flute. I'd last seen him when I was in Belfast with the Ulster orchestra. Then in walked Janos Keszai (Tympanist) - also ex Ulster orchestra member.

Then, the penny dropped now I knew why all those people from Dublin were willing to give up a well paid job in a symphony orchestra conducted by an internationally well known conductor to enlist in an unknown chamber ensemble under an internationally unknown conductor.

It was NIMA The Northern Ireland Musicians Association.

They welcomed new members to their dwindling ranks.

But NIMA was affiliated to the Musicians Union in London.

The MU required a year's residence in Great Britain before being eligible to join their ranks - but more than a year's residence in Northern Ireland qualified NIMA members to join the MU.

Immigration! A way round it had been found. I checked some of the other orchestras: Maurice Meulien(Cello) and Kirchen Gudeker(Tympani) were in the LSO. Joseph Racz(Double Bass) was now Principal double bass in Bournemouth and Tony Byrne(viola) was also in Bournemouth.
        I noted 3 Irish Colleens in the LPO and one in the Philharmonia.

"Stay in the Ulster Orchestra for a year and you can move across the water to where there is plenty of well paid (and satisfying) work to be had.

That is why I am concerned with the future of the Ulster Orchestra and that is why I have made Birmingham my B3

Constant changes of personnel. Conductors appointed one-after-another and moving on to better prospects elsewhere. The threat of the BBC withdrawing their subsidy to excuse them from axing their own BBC Northern Ireland Light Orchestra. - and CIMA (Ulster's version of the British Arts Council) also seeking to reduce expenditure.

For the good people of Ulster, I hope I'm wrong, but I fear for the orchestra's chances of survival.

That is all that I have to offer on this thread.

Hornspieler
        Last edited by Hornspieler; 08-02-16, 16:22.

Comment

Working...
        X