• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Off The Beaten Track

A thread to talk about music that we are listening to, thinking about or whatever, that is not often 'aired' - perhaps because the composer is not well known, the genre is not mainstream, or where the composer, genre etc are familiar, the work isn't seen as 'representative' (or any combination therefrom).

Today I have been listening to the solo piano works of Giacinto Scelsi and a selection of Haydn's baryton trios.

Very different music, but off the beaten track, all the same.

• richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

This thread parallels another that Dave started about music on the verge of extinction. There was some discussion there (ok, started by me) about having a Musical 'Book Club'. We would take turns recommending a work that is little known, give people a week or longer to seek out a recording, then have a discussion.
    Would you be interested?

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

Today I have been listening to the solo piano works of Giacinto Scelsi and a selection of Haydn's baryton trios.
      ... I find Scelsi worse than unlistenable-to ; the Haydn baryton stuff is enjoyable but nothing in comparison with his quartets, piano trios, piano sonatas, symphonies, masses.

I feel very old at the moment ; the little time left is precious. I am not going to waste it on anything but the best.

A bottle of beychevelle with today's duck, I think...

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        This thread parallels another that Dave started about music on the verge of extinction.
        There's certainly some overlap, but I think that music that is off the beaten track is sufficiently stand alone (I don't think extinction is a possibility for the music that I have in mind).

There was some discussion there (ok, started by me) about having a Musical 'Book Club'. We would take turns recommending a work that is little known, give people a week or longer to seek out a recording, then have a discussion.
        Would you be interested?
        I would love to participate, but I know I wouldn't be able to keep up the commitment.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... I find Scelsi worse than unlistenable-to ; the Haydn baryton stuff is enjoyable but nothing in comparison with his quartets, piano trios, piano sonatas, symphonies, masses.

I feel very old at the moment ; the little time left is precious. I am not going to waste it on anything but the best.

A bottle of beychevelle with today's duck, I think...
          Indeed, an excellent approach!

I'd challenge you about ''the best'', but I don't think you'd care

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

I heard, and strongly recommend, a concert band wind symphony by Alan Hovanesse, his Symphony no.4 on Spotify. Will hear again, as I thought it was rather good. Great percussion parts.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I 'inherited' Simon Howard's Heinz Holliger CDs. Simon recommended them to me some years ago, so when I was asked if I would like to choose something from his collection, I chose those.

Most of all, I enjoyed the Violin Concerto (Zehetmair and the SWR Sinfonieorchester). There was also the Scardanelli-Zyklus (which I think will need several hearings) and the Romancendres and Gesänge der FrĂ¼he, coupled/tripled with Clara's Romanzen to make a Schumann themed disc. Simon rated Holliger - anyone else?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                I 'inherited' Simon Howard's Heinz Holliger CDs. Simon recommended them to me some years ago, so when I was asked if I would like to choose something from his collection, I chose those.

Most of all, I enjoyed the Violin Concerto (Zehetmair and the SWR Sinfonieorchester). There was also the Scardanelli-Zyklus (which I think will need several hearings) and the Romancendres and Gesänge der FrĂ¼he, coupled/tripled with Clara's Romanzen to make a Schumann themed disc. Simon rated Holliger - anyone else?
                I love the Scardanelli cycle, especially the 4 Seasons part (choir only) which was on a Wergo LP in the late 1970s already.
                It takes some time to get into the whole of the Zyklus, but for me it paid of.
                In that respect the violin concerto is a much easier piece and emotionally less edgy.
                His 2004 composed Induuchlen is one of my favourites, but I am not unbiased here as the poetry is in Brienz dialict, which I do understand well but don't speak myself. This applies to him too, btw. From his home Holliger overlooks the place near Interlaken where I in winter time normally stay, where the dialect is different, though only some 8 miles from Brienz.
                Last edited by Guest; 26-05-15, 15:46.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Well, I've banged on and on about the music of the great George Lloyd whose time, I'm positive, will come one day. What's needed is a new, outstanding set of the symphonies but no one seems to be interested.

Come on Euromillions. Let tonite be the nite!

Comment

• umslopogaas
                    • Nov 2010

Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I cant find "Forgotten Composers" so this will do. Gabriel Pierne and sorry as usual, there is an acute accent on the final e but I dont know how to place it. He was only ever known to me for "The March of the Little Tin Soldiers", which was in that big Readers Digest box of classical LPs, but I no longer have it, and how long is it since anyone heard anything by Pierne?

And while we are about it, yes, George Lloyd, bring him on! I have those few symphonies as recorded on Lyrita LPs, but there must be more.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                      Not sure if this is the place to post this, but I cant find "Forgotten Composers" so this will do. Gabriel Pierne and sorry as usual, there is an acute accent on the final e but I dont know how to place it. He was only ever known to me for "The March of the Little Tin Soldiers", which was in that big Readers Digest box of classical LPs, but I no longer have it, and how long is it since anyone heard anything by Pierne?

And while we are about it, yes, George Lloyd, bring him on! I have those few symphonies as recorded on Lyrita LPs, but there must be more.
                      Recently some of Pierné's music was mentioned on these threads, but e.g. hyperion recorded some of his works, including his piano concerto

All Lloyd's symphonies (+ 4 piano concertos + 2 violin concertos i.a.) are on Albany Troy.
                      See also this site

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        I love the Scardanelli cycle, especially the 4 Seasons part (choir only) which was on a Wergo LP in the late 1970s already.
                        It takes some time to get into the whole of the Zyklus, but for me it paid of.
                        I do intend to come back to it.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                          • Nov 2010

#11 Roehre, many thanks, I will investigate.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

These days, I hardly listen to the works by composers on the beaten track. I posted these links elsewhere but I am quite addicted to these two CDs at the moment.

The Trio Sonata in 17th-Century Italy

The Trio Sonata in 17th-Century Germany

I enjoy listening to these composers in groups rather than individually.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              Recently some of Pierné's music was mentioned on these threads, but e.g. hyperion recorded some of his works, including his piano concerto

All Lloyd's symphonies (+ 4 piano concertos + 2 violin concertos i.a.) are on Albany Troy.
                              See also this site
                              Essential recordings for all George Lloyd fans,I know there are hundreds on here
                              What Pastoralguy and I really want is a new set recorded by the Berlin Phil/Rattle,c'mon Simon before it's too late

Comment

Working...
                              X