Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      That's not an organ
      Oh yes it is

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Oh yes it is
        If you needed an organ transplant would you have one? If so please help those in need of a transplant by opting to donate organs and tissue.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Try this............Better than Pip???

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Try this............Better than Pip???

On offer, unused, by Beefy.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              On offer, unused, by Beefy.

(I think the smokies take it in turns)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

(I think the smokies take it in turns)
                Carry on like this you melt, and I'll have to pin you right across your canister. Same goes for your mate, who'll get a dry one. Mugs.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

right, back off the track

been listening to installment 85 of the AGP, which features works by Horatio Radulescu.

Really interesting , and really enjoyable so far. seems pretty distinctive to me. There is quite a bit of his stuff on there, and lots on youtube too.

Last edited by teamsaint; 10-07-15, 16:53.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Geir Tveitt - Variations On A Folksong From Hardanger For Two Pianos & Orchestra (On Apple Music)
                    Bjarte Engeset & Gunilla Sussman, Pianos. Royal Scottish National Orchestra, conducted bt Havad Gimse.

Beautiful music. First time I've heard it.

Comment

• Roehre

Geir Tveitt - Variations On A Folksong From Hardanger For Two Pianos & Orchestra (On Apple Music)
                      Bjarte Engeset & Gunilla Sussman, Pianos. Royal Scottish National Orchestra, conducted bt Havad Gimse.

Beautiful music. First time I've heard it.
                      Really a pity that quite a substantial part of his output perished during a fire at his publisher's
                      (with no chance of reconstructing like Sullivan's cello concerto, which was destroyed likewise)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Really a pity that quite a substantial part of his output perished during a fire at his publisher's
                        (with no chance of reconstructing like Sullivan's cello concerto, which was destroyed likewise)
                        Is there anything you don't know about music and composers, etc ...........

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          Not quite true re. complete performances in Britain since 1984. I know of at least three others, in Sheffield, East London and Bath. There may have been several others. This is, however, the first complete performance in the Union Chapel since 1984 (where I believe it received its first complete UK performance)
                          Ah - my understanding of the performance history of The Great Learning turns out to be shaky: for some reason, I thought that the other performances weren't of the whole work - my apologies.

Tickets still available, I believe - the Union Chapel is about 50 yards from Highbury and Islington tube station. And yes, the more singers, the better.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

IMV Cardew's music (and The Great Learning in particular) suffers from being badly performed (a subject for discussion with reference to the apple opera?)
                            Yes - it's extraordinary that the youTube examples all fall well below the durations written in the score (Para 2 - youTube 20mins & 21 mins, score "45 mins"; Para 7 youTube fades away at 20mins 29secs, score = "90 mins"!!!) It's as if the performers/record companies don't have the self-confidence to follow Cardew's suggestions - which is a pity, because these unlock skills and feelings that self-consciousness inhibits. The sense of euphoria and liberation that you feel if you trust what's being suggested is really special, and overflows into aspects of life that we might find more "ordinary" and mundane. This is Art that puts the performer back into connection with the electricity of being alive.

I haven't commented on your "sacrosanct" comment on the WT Thread - basically because "electricity" is the last thing I get from that particular work - but I think my response is that when we're dealing with a composer whose imagination was way beyond most people, then the closer we follow the suggestions that they make in the "score" the closer we get not merely to what the composer was thinking, but also closer to the best that we (as performers and/or listeners) are capable.

I might be interested in a Musician's "take" on, say, the Eroica - the more "radical" the more I'd be interested - but I can't imagine that that "take" would give anything as charged as a performance that paid scrupulous attention to what Beethoven wrote in the score. If that's what you meant by "sacrosanct" (I don't think it is) then I suppose that's my position.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              been listening to installment 85 of the AGP, which features works by Horatio Radulescu.
                              Really interesting , and really enjoyable so far. seems preety distinctive to me. There is quite a bit of his stuff on there, and lots on youtube too.
                              - I don't know Radulescu nearly as well as he I ought. Fellow impecunious neophytes might be as thrilled as I was to discover this download at coffee prices from the river people:

... astonishing stuff!

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Further to my rather inarticulate post about Radulescu, there are several installments on the AGP,all available to download for free.
                                ( for those who don't know, the AGP archive holds recordings which are not available commercially at present. As they become available again, They are removed from the archive).

Very tempted by that Amazon download too, so thanks Ferney.( coffee prices is right, our village store has Carte Noir on long term offer at £2.50 )

I agree with your "astonishing" comment Ferney.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X