X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Enough orchestra already! Richard you need chamber music, and above all lute music. Think John Dowland and the King of Denmark. Anythink by Nigel North, Jakob Lindberg or Paul O'Dette!

Very best wishes

Richard
    I would like to use this opportunity to investigate some Guitar Music, Richard. One problem always seems to be that Guitar Collections recycle the same "greatest hits". Can you make some recommendations?regarding lute music, I have Paul O'Dette in the Bach Lute Suites on my phone, and his complete Dowland on CD. Also his disc of Kapsberger. I have assorted Sylvius Weiss discs but find him to be an uneven Composer. I also would like the Bach Cello Suites arranged for Lute or guitar.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Well, writing as a nurse who often does night shift there is one body of work that never fails. The Bach 'cello suites have provided quite a few patients who are suffering fear to feel they are not alone.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
        "If music be the food of love, Play on, Give me excess of it......"
        (William Shakespeare)

Steady now, Richard! You've just had a serious operation!

HS

My wife is having to bathe me. Yesterday on our Anniversary when she asked me to lower my shorts so that she could get at my private parts, I couldn't help but reflect on a similar request on our Nuptial night, except back then the rewards entailed within seemed more interesting than an improvement in personal hygiene

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          My wife is having to bathe me. Yesterday on our Anniversary when she asked me to lower my shorts so that she could get at my private parts, I couldn't help but reflect on a similar request on our Nuptial night, except back then the rewards entailed within seemed more interesting than an improvement in personal hygiene

too much information

Comment

• pastoralguy
            • Nov 2010

Can you be more specific...?

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
              harpsichord + recovery = JSBach/Goldberg for me

I found Monteverdi's Verspers great listening to as I was stuck in bed recovering
              (but so was Mahler 7 )

I have not tried the Monteverdi in a while. I am sleeping in the middle of my surround system, and perhaps I can ask my wife to fetch the SACD upstairs. If I recall that music exploits the spatial effects of the original performing venue (Mantua?)

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

too much information
                I agree. Couldn't resist. Too much time on my hands

Comment

• DoctorT

I had 6 weeks off work recently for wrist surgery.
                  The highlight of my listening was the complete Beethoven String Quartets (Belcea Quartet) and Janacek's Markopoulos case (Mackerras)

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by DoctorT View Post
                    I had 6 weeks off work recently for wrist surgery.
                    The highlight of my listening was the complete Beethoven String Quartets (Belcea Quartet) and Janacek's Markopoulos case (Mackerras)
                    I know that the Belcea is a great favorite in the UK but the couple that I heard left me wanting more substance and less technical flash. I will stick with Italians and the Hungarian . The Janacek sounds like a good idea Perhaps I will get a Medici
                    TV subscription.

Comment

• DoctorT

I know that the Belcea is a great favorite in the UK but the couple that I heard left me wanting more substance and less technical flash. I will stick with Italians and the Hungarian . The Janacek sounds like a good idea Perhaps I will get a Medici
                      TV subscription.
                      I love the Italians too rfg, wouldn't be without them

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I would like to use this opportunity to investigate some Guitar Music, Richard. One problem always seems to be that Guitar Collections recycle the same "greatest hits". Can you make some recommendations?regarding lute music, I have Paul O'Dette in the Bach Lute Suites on my phone, and his complete Dowland on CD. Also his disc of Kapsberger. I have assorted Sylvius Weiss discs but find him to be an uneven Composer. I also would like the Bach Cello Suites arranged for Lute or guitar.
                        Indeed, Richard, I know exactly what you mean. On the strength of his outings thus far, I have no interest whatsoever in the latest fashionable classical guitarist.

It sounds as if you are well up to speed with Paul O'Dette. I have Robert Barto's vols 1-11 of Weiss on Naxos which I find pretty superb throughout - if you don't know this series I'd recommend vols 5 and 10 where the suites is leavened by the two lovely Tombeaux, for M le Comte de Logy and Baron d'Hartig.

John Williams recorded at least 4 of the Bach cello suites a long time ago....I used to toy with the John Duarte transcriptions of 1 and 3 myself - some of the easier movements - but really prefer them on the cello.

One or two less familiar guitar CDs: "Respuesta" - complete guitar works of Miguel Llobet played by Stefano Grondona on Stradivarius (2 CDs) - STR 33770. Lovely 20th C Catalan music.

Julian Bream's glorious final 4 CDs on EMI include his return to the Britten Nocturnal, and there's a superb all-Bach disc in this series. They are performed on possibly the finest classical guitar ever built, the "Rose Augustin" Hauser.

William Carter on Linn, playing "Fernando Sor Early Works", and David Starobin on Bridge playing "Fernando Sor - Les Plus Belles Pages", both represent a more HIP take on these staples of the repertoire.

Graham Anthony Devine on Naxos playing "British Guitar Music" - Walton, Rawsthorne, Berkeley, Rodney Bennett, inc Maxwell Davies's "Farewell to Stromness" in Tim Walker's stirring guitar transcription.....

And last but not least the greatest guitar duo ever

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          Indeed, Richard, I know exactly what you mean. On the strength of his outings thus far, I have no interest whatsoever in the latest fashionable classical guitarist.

It sounds as if you are well up to speed with Paul O'Dette. I have Robert Barto's vols 1-11 of Weiss on Naxos which I find pretty superb throughout - if you don't know this series I'd recommend vols 5 and 10 where the suites is leavened by the two lovely Tombeaux, for M le Comte de Logy and Baron d'Hartig.

John Williams recorded at least 4 of the Bach cello suites a long time ago....I used to toy with the John Duarte transcriptions of 1 and 3 myself - some of the easier movements - but really prefer them on the cello.

One or two less familiar guitar CDs: "Respuesta" - complete guitar works of Miguel Llobet played by Stefano Grondona on Stradivarius (2 CDs) - STR 33770. Lovely 20th C Catalan music.

Julian Bream's glorious final 4 CDs on EMI include his return to the Britten Nocturnal, and there's a superb all-Bach disc in this series. They are performed on possibly the finest classical guitar ever built, the "Rose Augustin" Hauser.

William Carter on Linn, playing "Fernando Sor Early Works", and David Starobin on Bridge playing "Fernando Sor - Les Plus Belles Pages", both represent a more HIP take on these staples of the repertoire.

Graham Anthony Devine on Naxos playing "British Guitar Music" - Walton, Rawsthorne, Berkeley, Rodney Bennett, inc Maxwell Davies's "Farewell to Stromness" in Tim Walker's stirring guitar transcription.....

And last but not least the greatest guitar duo ever

I downloaded the disc of British Guitar music, which sounds really appealing, but will probably follow up on the others as well.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                            Late Member
                            • Sep 2012

I cannot think of a more restful, soothing and delightful short piece of music than “La Calinda” by Delius, in the version arranged by Eric Fenby.

The obvious recording is by Beecham with the RPO and, of course, that beautiful horn solo at the end* played by Dennis Brain; but it might be difficult to find that one.

•The player is instructed to play that long closing phrase in a single breath. Not easy! and it leads me to tell you a story from my memoires which should bring a smile to your face:

When the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra gave concerts throughout the West of England, the local authorities had an agreement to contribute quite a substantial annual contribution towards the running of the orchestra, but one stipulation was that, on visiting to give an evening performance , we were also required to give a free concert, lasting about 1½ hours, for all the schoolchildren in the locality.

This concert would normally be introduced by the conductor (Charles Groves) but in Bristol, the local County Music Advisor announced that he was going to introduce the items to the audience.

Now here was a problem. In Bristol, a cobra is pronounced “cobral”, a Boa Constrictor becomes a “Boal Constrictool” and, inevitably, an orchestra became an “orchestral”.

No problem until our genial host announced to his audience “ … and now the orchestral are going to play Larl Calindle from the Operal Koangle”

Our principal oboe started to play but was shaking with laughter and had to stop and try again. By this time, nearly everyone was heaving with mirth and Charles Groves stopped conducting, gave us all a couple of minutes to get our breaths back and started again.

I was the poor victim who had to play that last long solo in one breath.
                            I think I managed to get through it with only about three gulps for oxygen!

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Fantastic! You must have been elated to breathe normally at the end! No doubt Delius has never sounded quite the same since.....!
                              Excellent story -

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I know a lot of Mozart would be of Great benefit, like some of his later PCs, perhaps, and his other works wouldn't go amiss. i am sure, as you all know, myself not being a great Mozart fan but appreciate that others may feel the benefit of his music.

One of my loves his Handel, also Purcell,, and good old Byrd and Tallis, of those eras. Many works here that can make you feel better. But then, you may just need a relaxing time and sleep, could be the order of the day, RFG!
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X