X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Music For Medical Recuperation

Thanks to all who have offered good wishes. Today my blood pressure is quite low and my Cadiologist has cut back on meds and liberalized salt and fluid intake. While the lightheaded ness is crimping the fun of being home playing sick, the liberalized diet is welcome. My wife is a Registered Nurse and today is our 11 th Wedding Anniversary. We have at least a nice shared dinner to look forward to, possibly Thai.
    Laying on the couch in our main room streaming files from my phone to a Blutooth DAC connected to the Home Theater
    Setup. Also listening to Chicago's WFMT. I have Bernstein's Amsterdam Mahler 1playing now. The cuckoos are making me miss the fine outdoor weather.
    Played Haitink/CSO Resurrection earlier, but when the Day of Judgement came, after what I have just been through, I thought "perhaps not"
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    Thanks to all who have offered good wishes. Today my blood pressure is quite low and my Cadiologist has cut back on meds and liberalized salt and fluid intake. While the lightheaded ness is crimping the fun of being home playing sick, the liberalized diet is welcome. My wife is a Registered Nurse and today is our 11 th Wedding Anniversary. We have at least a nice shared dinner to look forward to, possibly Thai.
    Laying on the couch in our main room streaming files from my phone to a Blutooth DAC connected to the Home Theater
    Setup. Also listening to Chicago's WFMT. I have Bernstein's Amsterdam Mahler 1playing now. The cuckoos are making me miss the fine outdoor weather.
    Played Haitink/CSO Resurrection earlier, but when the Day of Judgement came, after what I have just been through, I thought "perhaps not"
    All the very best Richard - how about some Mozart .

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

I agree with Barbs. Mozart piano concertos - they cannot but do you good!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Only just caught up with this thread.
        Best wishes Richard and Nick.
        I recommend daily doses of

Works for me.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Music For Medical Recuperation

OK, we need a thread on what music you want want to be able to listen to during a medical convalescence. (Well, I at least need this at the moment, but eventually all of us may be, or have been, in the same boat).
          So it has been suggested on another thread that Mozart Piano Concertos get the thumbs up, and Mahler's Resurrection, not so much.
          What would you choose? I am currently listening to the Brahms PC 2, and that opening horn call is some of the most gorgeous music ever penned. I know I won't win any style points with my next choice, the 4 Seasons, but hey, it's popular for a reason--it's fun and indestructible.
          Then on to Handel for some Water Music.
          And yours?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Of course the most explicitly appropriate piece would be the middle (3rd) movement of Beethoven's Op 132 String Quartet: the "Heiliger Dankgesang eines Genesenen an die Gottheit, in der lydischen Tonart" or...

"Holy song of thanksgiving of a convalescent to the Deity, in the Lydian Mode".

Apart from which it's just bloomin' fabulous music!

Comment

• doversoul1
              Ex Member
              • Dec 2010

OK, we need a thread on what music you want want to be able to listen to during a medical convalescence. (Well, I at least need this at the moment, but eventually all of us may be, or have been, in the same boat).
              So it has been suggested on another thread that Mozart Piano Concertos get the thumbs up, and Mahler's Resurrection, not so much.
              What would you choose? I am currently listening to the Brahms PC 2, and that opening horn call is some of the most gorgeous music ever penned. I know I won't win any style points with my next choice, the 4 Seasons, but hey, it's popular for a reason--it's fun and indestructible.
              Then on to Handel for some Water Music.
              And yours?
              I may want to hear something completely different as well when I am actually ill but I think these two CDs will be included. Both by London Baroque

The Trio Sonata in 17th-Century Italy

The Trio Sonata in 17th-Century Germany

Comment

• richardfinegold
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                [COLOR="#0000FF"]Of course the most explicitly appropriate piece would be the middle (3rd) movement of Beethoven's Op 132 String Quartet: the "Heiliger Dankgesang eines Genesenen an die Gottheit, in der lydischen Tonart" or...

"Holy song of thanksgiving of a convalescent to the Deity, in the Lydian Mode".[/COLOR

Apart from which it's just bloomin' fabulous music!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                  I may want to hear something completely different as well when I am actually ill but I think these two CDs will be included. Both by London Baroque

The Trio Sonata in 17th-Century Italy

The Trio Sonata in 17th-Century Germany
                  http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-CD-1545
                  will check Spotify

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Strauss waltzes! You'll forget all about being ill with a batch of these.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      Strauss waltzes! You'll forget all about being ill with a batch of these.
                      I had forgotten that you were such a fan of Der Rosenkavalier....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

I had forgotten that you were such a fan of Der Rosenkavalier....
                        Ka-pow!!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Ka-pow!!
                          Maria Callas on the radio now singing the big climactic aria from Butterfly. My goodness, everybody's problems seem trivial after that...

Comment

• Don Petter

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

R3 can come to your rescue here, with anything performed by a New Generation Artist. (They're all aspirin')

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Rfg
                              I guess you don't need too many musical suggestions - plenty in the collection to go at - but just in case - how about a load of Faure, Debussy and Ravel for starters!
                              Best wishes for your recovery.
                              Cloughie

Just seen new thread Cali - please will you transfer this.
                              C

Comment

Working...
                              X