X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Charles Mackerras - with apologies for shameless self-promotion

Charles Mackerras is often discussed on this forum, and still hugely missed by many of us, so I can't resist posting a link to this new book, published on Thursday, which I co-wrote and edited with my old friend John Tyrrell. I do so in the hope that it might be of interest to some members.

It has been one of the most enjoyable writing projects I've ever undertaken, so I hope some of that comes through in the finished result. Here are details:

From the publisher:

Or from the Royal opera House shop
    Looking for the perfect gift for an opera or ballet lover? Browse our collections inspired by our art and artists, including prints, souvenirs, clothes, homeware.

A beautifully written article-cum-review by Rosenna East appeared in yesterday's Glasgow Herald
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Shameless!!

Congratulations! Must have been great fun.

One for the Wish List here
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

What's the point of "timid self-promotion"?

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      One for the Wish List here
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

He had a very interesting career. To be an expert on Gilbert and Sullivan, Czech Music (Janacek in particular--Mac's recordings were my first introduction to that
        Composer, and frequently I find he is the only non Czech Conductor to get it right), and his embrace of the HIPP movement, is to have a wide range indeed.
        In fairness, I can't say that his recordings of the Austro/Germanic repetoire do much for me, and I don't recall hearing him in any French or Russian Music, but one can't be great at everything.
        I remember reading a couple of long interviews with him that I thought were fascinating, particularly when he related his years of study with Talich. He is indeed an interesting subject for a book.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          ... In fairness, I can't say that his recordings of the Austro/Germanic repertoire do much for me, ...
          So you don't put much store by his Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, etc.? Could not disagree much more.

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            So you don't put much store by his Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms, Mahler, etc.? Could not disagree much more.
            Obviously I'm right with you on that, Bryn. Frankly, there are few conductors, living or dead, whose Mozart and Beethoven give me more consistent pleasure, and discs like the Brahms Serenades and his live Mahler 4 with the Philharmonia are ones I treasure. Likewise the best of his Schubert (especially with the OAE) is exceptional.

Regarding richardfinegold's point about French and Russian repertoire, CM conducted much more of it than he recorded. He adored Bizet, Massenet and Gounod (and conducted all three in the theatre), conducted Debussy and Ravel orchestral works (but recorded relatively little - there's an obscure disc of La Mer & Ravel Daphnis Suite 2 with the LSO). There are plenty of live performances out there, but fewer studio discs. There are some big Russian pieces, including Eugene Onegin and a stunning live Pathetique with the Philharmonia, Rimsky's Sheherazade (Telarc), Shostakovich 5 and so on. Incidentally, details of all of these can be found in Malcolm Walker's huge discography that comes as one of the appendices in our new book.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

...Wagner, Donizetti...

My live encounters with Sir Charles were all in the opera house, starting with Mary Stuart at ENO in the 1970s (with Janet Baker) and some marvellous stuff with WNO in more recent years - Tristan (Anne Evans), Clemenza di Tito (Katerina Karnéus), Jenufa (with the late Susan Chilcott), Vixen....It was my first and best Tristan, even in the limiting surroundings of Cardiff's New Theatre. A life-changing evening, I still have Robert Henderson's and Rupert Christiansen's reviews. This book is going onto my wish list!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

His Mozart Symphonies are my go-to choices - fascinating contrast between the driven definitional brilliance and energy of the Prague CO, on those classic Telarcs with such a vivid & spacious acoustic; and the warmer, richer, more intimate sound of the Scottish CO, in gorgeous 24/88.2 Linn sonics. I just about incline to the Prague CO ones, if only for that special Telarc presentation...

I love his Brahms - the SCO Serenades and the Symphonies, again on Telarc; the Supraphon Janacek orchestral recordings, and one that can get overlooked: Suk's Asrael Symphony with the Czech PO (Gram. 6/2011). A very rich legacy...

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  one that can get overlooked: Suk's Asrael Symphony with the Czech PO (Gram. 6/2011). A very rich legacy...
                  That Suk is indeed exceptional. I hope it doesn't get overlooked - I remember giving it an "Outstanding" when I reviewed it for IRR.

Your description of the "intimate sound" of the Linn/SCO Mozart performances is spot on - and there's a notch more clarity too (compared with the Telarc set), so I just about incline the other way to you in a Linn/Telarc choice, but they're both pretty marvellous. The decider for me is the magnificent performance of the "Jupiter" in the Linn set.

Comment

• slarty

Great memories of his Verdi at Covent Garden in the late 60s and in the 70s, where he guested so often we thought he might get the nod to succeed Solti(Should have).
                    His Wagner at the ENO was magnificent, many a time he stood in for Reggie as well, I remember a wonderful Mastersinger with him that was as good as any performance that I have ever heard. Wonderful opera conductor.
                    I last saw him down the road in Cologne with Brendel on his farewell tour - all Mozart and superb.

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I, too, relish the Charles Mackerras years of the 60s, 70s, when he introduced me to the operas of Janacek and an equally unforgettable "Werther" at the 'Coli' in 1977, surrounded by the later revivals of The Mastersingers. Happily, I've now taken delivery of the new biography and selected many recordings from the shelves to enhance my reading and stir so many memories of his work.

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                        Obviously I'm right with you on that, Bryn. Frankly, there are few conductors, living or dead, whose Mozart and Beethoven give me more consistent pleasure, and discs like the Brahms Serenades and his live Mahler 4 with the Philharmonia are ones I treasure. Likewise the best of his Schubert (especially with the OAE) is exceptional.

And as you know, I am also very fond of his hastily prepared survey of Schumann's orchestral works as performed with the SCO and top flight soloists at the 1999 EIF (broadcast by BBC Radio 3).

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

I know I keep harping on about CM's underrated Elgar symphonies,so I'll mention his wonderful Gloriana set instead.

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                            I know I keep harping on about CM's underrated Elgar symphonies,so I'll mention his wonderful Gloriana set instead.
                            Harp on all you like! I completely agree about CM's Elgar - I think it's marvellous (especially the First Symphony/LSO, Sea Pictures (Della Jones), and The Starlight Express (Hagley/Terfel/WNO) on Argo and the EMI/LPO Enigma and Falstaff). Gloriana is superb - as were the performances at the Coliseum in the early 1970s.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

A truly great conductor - hearing him conduct Figaro at Covent Garden a few years back is one of the highlights of my visits to the opera house - everything was just pitch perfect . Those Linn Mozart symphony recordings fall into the same category - as do his Janacek operas, Suk orchestral works and there are few Pathetiques that come close to his with the Philharmonia on Signum .

Comment

Working...
                              X